“Great Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Apollo Beach, Florida
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Like the other post said yes units vary, however you can see them on their website. We absolutely love this place. We have been coming here for more than 30 years and now other family members enjoy it as well. We have stayed in alot of different unis. i believe our last stay was in 205.

Room Tip: Look on webiste has all info needed
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ResortGM2, Manager at Sand Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank-you for your lovely review!! We're glad you enjoyed yourselves here at Sand Cay!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed at Sand Cay 4 times in 2 different units and have another trip planned this month. My family, friends and I absolutely love it here. It has great amenities, the condos are beautifully decorated, the staff is very friendly and the beach is amazing. Can't wait to return in 3 weeks!!!

Room Tip: Highly recommend ocean front condos, the views are amazing!! and Ground level is very convenient
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ResortGM2, Manager at Sand Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank-you for being a valued repeat guest!! We're happy you're returning in a few weeks, summer is beautiful here on Longboat Key and we look forward to seeing you again.
Please stop in the office and say hello to everyone, see yout soon!!
Sherrills Ford, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our third year here, with great reviews after the first two stays. But units vary dramatically. We stayed in unit 118 this year and were sorely disappointed. Very tired furnishings, poorly maintained (trim moldings missing, dirty dishes, bathrooms not updated with moldy tile in one, broken, non-functioning lighting, worn bedding) and in general need of further updating. On our 10th day in we had a sudden issue with huge palmetto bugs (roaches) and simply could not enjoy our last three days. Contacting mgmt. brought little results other than they were sorry and exterminator was scheduled the day AFTER we left. View and beach access from this unit was fantastic but this was way too much money for a unit in this condition. Would consider staying again in another unit IF I knew management gave a damn about any issues you may encounter.

Room Tip: Scrutinize the photos of each unit before making a decision.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank piquet512
Dear Valued Guests,

First and foremost, let me say that we’re terribly sorry that your vacation here was not comfortable for you. I’m certain that your vacation time was much deserved and we greatly appreciate you spending it with us; again, we’re truly sorry for the issues encountered.

Let me address some of the issues mentioned in your posting. You are correct to say that the units can vary in updating and decor and thank-you for your honesty. We are working with the owners whom need to make improvements and updates to their condo. This direct feedback will help in this process, as it's coming directly from the guests; We appreciate your opinion and encourage the guests to complete the survey given at check-in so we may offer optimum communication from guests to owners. We have addressed some of the maintenance issues mentioned, and will replace any of the dishes and material items that are sub-par. We do have pest control service regularly, but we also do have to adhere to their schedule sometimes. We're terribly sorry they could not make it out in time. Again, thank-you for the feedback and we'll certainly make sure the unit is treated as its now a more prominent time for insects. . I hope you can afford us the opportunity to exceed yours on next trip. If afforded the chance, we want to show you a great vacation here on LBK, and most importantly, here at Sand Cay. I will address this with the owner of 118 and thank-you once again for helping us improve upon a valuable gulf front rental unit here. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss what I can do to get you back here for a relaxing beach vacation…Take care. Contact methods below.

941 383 5044
manager@sandcay.net
owners@sandcay.net
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We loved our stay at Sand Cay. The facility was super clean and there was so much to do! Our boys, ages 10-12, loved to beach, the pool, basketball and tennis courts. Our condo was very clean and well stocked. We cooked all of our meals either in the condo or on the grills and had everything that was needed. The view from the condo was breathtaking and weather was beautiful. Everyone we met from the office staff, to the grounds crew, to housekeeping were very nice people and they truly wanted our stay to be perfect. I loved having the on-site laundry facilities and a soft bed to sleep in after a day on the beach. The city of Longboat was fun to explore. We walked to the park, the grocery store was up the street and the ice cream shop sure was yummy. We will be returning soon! Thanks for a great vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Longboat Key, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place has far too many office staff working and it is just awful that the resort is so wonderfully located because it COULD be a fantastic vacation experience. First, the cleanliness of the apartment was terrible. This was less clean than an Econo Lodge! The dishes in the cabinet all had dryed on food so we had to wash enought to use. Also, we wore our shoes the entire week because the floors throughout were filthy and sandy. Also, we wore flip flops in the showers because the tile was slimy and molded in the corners. A huge disappointment after spending $3,000 on our only vacation for this entire year. We were very uncomfortable and tried to stay away from the condo. The office staff will smile and tell you that the manager will contact you shortly. We waited, waited and waited and nothing. So I called. Luke and Terry both told me that the manager would be calling. NEVER got the call! They didnt even come up to the condo to see the issues. However, they did admit the carpets were severely stained and they didnt have time to clean them prior to my arrival. Just a huge frustrating upset and the worst vacation we've ever had in LBK - and we've been going for years. Sad, sad, sad vacation. They didnt offer to clean or inspect the issues even once. However, my cleaning was paid upfront. Also, I saw a maid ONE time the whole time of my vacation there. It was unreal on management's part as it isnt that difficult to wash up an apartment. After all, we had paid a separate cleaning fee!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SGraden G
ResortGM2, General Manager at Sand Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Please contact me regarding your recent post on Trip Advisor my number is (941) 383-5044 extension 23. My name is Elaine Frederick and I am the Resort’s General Manager. I am not sure which condominium you were in at Sand Cay because I do not have any of your contact information on your Trip Advisor posting. I do call guests back and visit the condominium if there is an issue, but, unfortunately, this one must have slipped through the cracks, and I apologize for that. We had been having some issues with our cleaning company recently, but we now have that situation corrected. I am eager to speak with you regarding your experience here at Sand Cay, as most of our guests have a very positive experience here, and it is troubling to me that you did not.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Elaine Frederick
Resort General Manager, CAM
Sandcay Beach Resort
Lonboat key
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Don't stay in this unit! Stains on carpet. Place built in the 70s and the furniture is still there. Now the bed! Also from the 70s. About as comfortable as a king size prison mattress. The sheets had hair and stains on them so obviously not changed before arrival. Thankfully there were what appeared to be clean sheets in the closet. The worst nights sleep I've ever gotten. Not to mention the alarm down stairs that went off at 4am and never got turned off. Sand on the living room table. The bug spray smell when you walk in has never went away.The rusted ceiling fan in the master that looks and sounds like it's from the 70s. The dishes were put away dirty. Great view but there are other units that are far better. I know because we stayed in one! Since all these units are individually owned forget about management doing anything. Shame on the owner. Rent here is over $220 a night ($6,000 a month) condo with $300 hundred dollars worth of stained trashed furniture. I've never written a review on trip advisor because most of the places on longboat and siesta keys have all been quite comfortable considering the cost. Quite frankly this place just "sucked!" If you are taking your annual vacation, please do not think you'll get R&R here. We couldn't sleep more than an hour at a time. SHAME!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dougandstacey1
Dear Guest,

You are correct in stating all units are unique to the owners taste in décor. Most of the condominiums have been updated. Some condominiums are still in need of some updating and we are working with these owners to accomplish this. I am eager to speak with you regarding your experience here at Sand Cay, as most of our guests have a very positive experience here, and it is troubling to me that you did not.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Elaine Frederick
Resort General Manager, CAM
Sand Cay Beach Resort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We just returned from our stay and had a wonderful time. Accommodations are clean and comfortable. Nice pool and easy access to the beach where there are plenty lounge chairs for guests to use. Special thanks to Terry who was very friendly and helpful during our stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank-you for the kind words! We love to hear feedback from our guests!! We hope we can see you out in the pool and on the beach soon!! cheers-
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#5 of 6 in Longboat Key
Sandpiper Inn
Sandpiper Inn
#3 of 6 in Longboat Key

Been to Sand Cay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!