“Peaceful, laidback beach vacation sans kids”

Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort
Dayton, OH
“Peaceful, laidback beach vacation sans kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

My husband and I rented suite 246 for 5 nights and had a wonderful time. The unit was just as described -- very low-key, clean, private and restful. With this unit, you are steps away from the pool and a pristine beach with gorgeous white sand. Linens and kitchen amenities were ample, and access to coin laundry facilities made it possible to travel back home with clean clothes. I'm not sure if it was choosing the last week of August for our trip or what, but we practically had the place to ourselves. It was glorious! We will definitely be returning again - next time with the fam!

• Liked — Low-key, less touristy locale
  • Disliked — Noisy fan connected to the light in bathroom. :-) (Small price to pay)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank TracyinDayton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2008

Honestly, when we arrived at the motel we were disapointed with the looks of the exterior. It had a gravel parking lot and a very small office. When we were assigned a room that was conected to the office we were ready to leave and find another place. We then went into the office to voice our displeasure and the clerk quickly acted to remedy our problem by putting us in a new room facing the ocean and pool.

The rooms are newly renovated and immaculate with a large kitchen living room and bedroom. For anybody on a budget I don't see how you can do much better.

We plan on returning to the Silver Sands on Longboat Key.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank AlbertNorthCarolina
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2007

I booked the Silver Sands on a hunch and a chat with the manager Stacy. I needed to find a place for a long weekend to which I could take my 85 year old mother who becomes disoriented easily and has limited mobility.

Silver Sands was clean, neat, quiet, and welcoming. The beach is easily accessible and the pool area is attractive. The large screen porches are also fun. Though it may seem too simple for some, it was perfect for us. There is a large contingency of return customers that wouldn't go anywhere else for their 4 week February winter vacation. They are a special secret asset to the place because everyone is friendly and happy. This place is a real gem for the right person!

• Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank peglegColorado
Safety Harbor, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2006

The weather was great after the break from summer temperatures and the beach on Longboat is a real treat. Our room at Silver Sands was much more spacious than a hotel room with a nice living room and a complete kitchen with the full complement of dishes and kitchen utensils. Our unit was very well maintained and we had daily housekeeping visits. We overlooked the pool which was only a few steps away from our unit and the beach was only a few steps beyond the pool. We are anxious to visit again.

Stayed September 2006
5 Thank wschray
orlando, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2006

We just got back today, we were originally booked to stay at the Outrigger resort but our condo was doublebooked. Luckily, Resortquest was able to put us up at the Silver Sands just down the street. As it turned out this was a much nicer property, the condo was spacious and clean, the grounds very well maintained, I was very concerned when I read other reviews prior to arriving but I was VERY pleasantly surprised. This was my 1st time booking through Resortquest and although there was a slight problem they notified me before we arrived and they were very understanding and helpful in finding us alternate accommodations for our entire stay in LBK.
Living in Orlando, we travel quite a bit to our beaches, Amelia Island, Naples, Marco Island, Siesta Key, South beach and so far, I think LBK is tops, soft white sand, clear blue ocean with a quaint charm.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank sims1219
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2006

My husband and I spent our 1st anniversary at this beautiful property. We had a great weekend. The weather was perfect. The room was excellent with a screened balcony looking over the pool to the beach. The sunsets were spectacular. The staff were friendly and helpful, and really looked after us. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2006

My family and I have stayed at the Silver Sands resort for the past 2 years. As recent as April 18th, 2006. During our first stay we were very unhappy with Housekeeping. They simply did not show up for a day or two. The lighting and security were an issue as well. Things that were promised did not materialize

I wrote an online review for this resort and spoke with management at Resort Quest as well. My mother said that she really liked the location and that we should give them another chance for our 2006 vacation. I against my better judgment booked our trip with resort quest/Silver Sands again. Shame on me! I did voice our concerns but was advised by Resort Quest management that all would be fine and was given a 10% discount.

New fees are about the only changes that have ocurred at the Silver Sands Resort. We checked in and were also given keys to the suite next door. When I made the reservation I requested a 2 bedroom so this made sense to have keys to the "A" suite. When I could not unlock the adjoining door and notified management their answer was to take the keys back and state that they gave them to us accidentaly and that we never requested a (2) bedroom. With much embarrassment and banter I decided that the argument was not going anywhere and let it go.

To make a long and sad story short, Our room was dirty, Housekeeping only cleans after your 7th day not the 4th day and certainly not every day. They change trash but only in the kitchen not in the bathroom and you are not provided with any cleaning supplies to take care of on your own. The Pool was dirty and the beach chairs were all in disrepair. So much for put put golf, there was only one faulty club and ball. They were on back order!

This place is very unhygenic and a joke, considering the cost. I am not a tourist and know when the consumer is getting the screws put to them. I can guarantee everyone this will be the last time.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
lstarr, Resort Management Company President at Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2006
ResortQuest is the Nation's largest Vacation Home Network and we are proud to represent Silver Sands. Silver Sands is a newly renovated, higher end self catering resort on Longboat Key. ResortQuest is committed to provide flawless service to it's guests and prides itself in providing high quality service and accommodations to our guests. The overwelming majority of our guests return to Silver Sands year after year. We look forward to welcoming you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#5 of 6 in Longboat Key
The Beach on Longboat Key
The Beach on Longboat Key
#12 of 20 in Longboat Key

Been to Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort? Share your experiences!