“Never Disappoints!”

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Longboat Key
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just returned from our 4th visit to the Lonboat Key Club & Resort. Stayed for 8 days and didn't want to leave. My family and I stayed in a one bedroom suite in building 4 which has an amazing view of the of the gulf. The room was spacious and comfortable with a HUGE balcony. Admittedly some of the furniture is knicked and slightly scratched and could be replaced. The beds are very comfy and the kitchen, washer & dryer are a nice plus. Can't say enough about the staff who are very friendly and cant do enough for you. We were there when Tropical Storm Andrea hit so the weather was not very good but we had an awesome time anyway. Already looking forward to our next visit!! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Sully-Chicago:

Thank you for your wonderful review of our resort. Glad you made the most of your time during our quick storm. I will share your very nice comments to our associates for their job well done during your experience with us. We routinely do inspections and upkeep in the units and we will address the slight scratches in you saw in yours. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit with us.

Yours in hospitality,

Rick Benninghove
Director of Resort Operations
Longboat Key Club and Resort
rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,885)

Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed two nights at Longboat key, we were expecting good things after the website but on arrival we felt quite deflated, I would describe it as " imagine you arrive at a large university to find all the students have gone home" , that was was it was like, admittedly the weather was not good which didn't help but this is not a luxury resort, it is more 3 star than 4, our room was large and comfortable with a beach view but that was the best bit, the bathroom is dated and needs redoing, the rooms are in unattractive blocks which look more like university accommodation than a luxury hotel. We have no complaints about the staff at all. It's basically as tired as Lenny Henry's joke book, the pool was probably nice in the mid 80's but is now dated and in some places grubby,
Food and drink expensive but we ate breakfast at the Blue dolphin cafe in nearby st Armands which is a 5 minute car trip. We had dinner at he excellent Dry dock Restaraunt which was the highlight of our stay, it's out of he drive past the gatehouse and turn left ( about a ten minute walk)
Don't believe the hype on the website because its simply not true, it's a three star place trying to hold onto its 4 star past

Room Tip: Get. Beach view high up
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sheppy01
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Booked a double room for 6 nights and was given a suite in block 7 overlooking the lagoon with dolphins,manatees,fish and exotic birds to keep us entertained.Suite was fantastic with washer ,dryer ,cooker hob ,microwave,waste disposal,fridge freezer and small appliances etc etc,All granite tops throughout.All staff pleasant and welcoming - glad we didn't listen to the negative reports.Beach nice and pool great if a little small - free towels to use on both.
Tommy Bahama Toileteries provided foc.
Maid and turn down service excellent.Free washing powder and dishwasher powder a first for us.
Apart from the weather couldn't fault it ,well located too.We normally stop on Lido Key but will come here in future.
Didn't eat in any of the on site restaurants - they looked 'pricey'.

Room Tip: Choose a lagoon view room - cheaper,more to see and not as noisy as ocean/pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CBSmith15
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Our stay here for Memorial Weekend was great. We reserved the Junior Suite which was large and comfortable. ( An extra TV will be a great addition) It is nice that they offer the service of setting up beach chairs and umbrellas at no extra charge. The sand and beach are just to die for. this is by far the nicest beach I've been to in SW Florida. Maid service was OK during the entire stay, no complaints. It would be nice if prices were a little lower. Overall will highly recommend it to everyone and will be going back for sure next year!!

Room Tip: Always request balconies overlooking the Gulf.
1  Thank Chuchi1

Dear Chuchi1:

Thank you for being our guest and rating us a “5 out of 5”!! Memorial Day Weekend was a wonderful weekend on the island and I’m glad you were able to enjoy the pristine sand of Longboat Key. Since you live nearby, please come back in August and September where you will find value rates available. Thanks for recommending us to everyone.

Yours in hospitality,

Rick Benninghove
Director of Resort Operations
Longboat Key Club and Resort
rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Booked a last minute trip to visit my parents in Sarasota for the Memorial Day Weekend. Choice was either Long Boat Key or Lido Beach Resort (sister hotel).Booked a Junior Suite with Lagoon View at LBK. In retrospect and looking over the reviews, thinking I made the wrong choice!

My trip did not start out well, no fault of the hotel's but they did absolutely NOTHING to assist in my difficult flight situation! My flight out of PHL was delayed (meant missing connection for SRQ) and the earliest I would arrive was about 8 pm (vs. original of 1 pm). Decision was made to switch to Tampa for a 12 noon arrival...so now, how to get to SRQ?

Was now in a rush, called Enterprise, they were unable to get a car for Tampa. Next call was to the concierge of LBK Resort. Asked about service from Tampa to the resort, was quoted $140 but issue was how to get my rental car from SRQ....asked if it could be delivered to the hotel.....that was a quick NO!!! They would need multiple days for that request. Was told that after arrival I would need to get another taxi to pick up my car.....that meant another 1 1/2 to 2 hours added on just to pick up my rental car......

In same call, requested that the concierge book shuttle between TPA and SRQ and received a really big NO!!! They do not support shuttle service only private transportation??? Explained that I did not want to sit in a car for hours and she said that is what they offer-end of conversation???

Plane takes off but was able to get on internet (gogo.air) and book the shuttle service between the 2 airports. Unfortunately, due to the confusion between changing flights, speaking with concierge, shuttle service, etc., I lose my AMEX.....spent the entire car ride from TPA to SRQ figuring one that out. Gotta say I LOVE the service AMEX provides because they made sure I was covered for the rest of my trip.....LBK should use the service AMEX provides as an example!

Show up at the hotel in whch I'm told they have me checking out 2 days earlier than what I have hard copy and then informed that I will need to change rooms mid stay??? We're not talking room upgrade, just staying in the room type I originally booked.....Seriously, how can this get worse??? This is now the second time I am speaking with the "Guest Relations Manager", I am not happy and receive lots of excuses.....and she has something coming to my room. Ok, but still not happy with the poor service I have received.

Go to the beach, upon entering my room, I see a bowl with 5-6 pieces of fruit of which one, orange was rotten. ....was a joke. No note hoping I have a nice time at the resort, apology on lack of service .No calls making sure all was ok with my room.....really??? Is this what she was addressing when she said she was having something delivered to my room??? At this point am very unhappy, actually shocked but decide that I have 4 nights at the resort, it is Memorial Day (everything is booked) and will have to make the best of the trip as I have nowhere else to go.

Next day, work out in the morning and get to the beach about 11 AM......no beach chairs??? They have been booked since 8 AM. Get stuck sitting in a cabana at the back of the hot beach, listening to "club members" loudly complaining how disappointed they are in the new owners ,new black out dates for holidays, LBK owners don't understand how to treat country club members, etc. Ugh!!! Finally at 2 pm a beach chair opens and I quickly take it to get away from the "Country Club" members.

Later that evening, join my parent's at the resort's Italian restaurant, Portofino's. Dinner was ok, nothing outstanding. Received the bill and then realize LBK automatically adds 20% gratuity to all services.....so I have been double tipping and no one has mentioned that one? I then make a conscientious effort to eat off the property's grounds.....again, BAD SERVICE!

On my last day the yoga teacher ran into a traffic jam and was late...these things happen. What was disturbing was again how the LBK personnel handled the situation... they called out to the beach attendants and no one answered the phone....oh well! There are 5 of us waiting, I go to the pool and call over to the work out facilities asking if we are still having class? Yes class is on, she left a voicemail for the beach attendant.....we didn't receive it? Oh well she says...she tried??? Our teacher finally showed up and our class was cut in half. No shocker....they still charged me the $15 for the class.....ridiculous!!!

Guess I have to give one positive since I am putting forward 2 stars....the Junior Suite's are nice rooms with comfortable beds, location to the beach is good ....but did I need to pay close to $1,600 for that - hhhmmm??? Not again!

The Lackadaisical - Who Cares service happened throughout the trip....ran out of coffee and every morning had to make phone call for more. Did not replenish body lotion, hair cap,etc. They really just don't care and that starts from the manager's down to the beach attendants! Actually very sad!!!

Long Boat Key Resort was a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! Would not recommend and will not stay here again!

7  Thank dld8
Reviewed 2 June 2013

There was a great Jet Blue Getaway that featured this 4 Diamond resort. Upon further investigation, it appears this award was first given in 1983. For 1983, the resort was probably considered very luxurious.....but it feels like it hasn't been truly updated since. On the plus side, the junior suite is large and very comfortable. One the minus side the tiles and grout are dingy and definitely need to be replaced. The kitchenette is more than ample, although there is no oven, so that's a bit odd, but I didn't come to bake, other than in the sunshine! The a/c would not cool down below 70 degrees. With 90 degree days, that is better than nothing but not refreshing enough. The service people here are hit or miss....some are very accommodating, some seem to be annoyed that we're here. The management surprised us with a bottle of champagne as it was our anniversary....nice touch....but three days later, the champagne bucket is still outside our door! Maid service is slow, but it eventually does come. However, we were supplied with exactly one, 1oz shampoo, one 1oz conditioner, one 1oz body wash, one 1oz moisturizer and one bar of soap. There are two of us, and the amenities have never been replaced.
The pool area is more reminiscent of a Comfort Suites Hotel than a luxury area. Several of the umbrellas are tattered, the dining area is so uninviting that in our entire trip I think I only saw two families actually eat there. Nothing attractive about it, just a few patio tables and chairs.....very uninviting. One day, a pool attendant actually offered us lounge chair covers. The other days, we had to lay our towels on the cushions. The service poolside is inconsistent.
This resort needs renovation to be able to revel in its former status. I am not sure what a "Four Diamond" resort actually is, but this is not the Four Seasons or The Ritz. It's probably more like a dated Marriott resort or a Comfort Suites. The bones are here....it could be great again. For now, it's okay, not great.

Room Tip: select an ocean view room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NeuroticNellie
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This place is perfect except for the employes.They really did not go out their way in customer service.The room was good and very spacious,we were 5 people in a bedroom suite and it was very comfortable so for familes and friends this works out nice .There was a kitchen so we saved money and we were able to make our own breakfast or lunch.We went to dinner out every night.We did eat lunch at pool and the food was good.But the beach was perfection!! White sands and crystal blue water.I will go back.

1  Thank tinaitaly
#4 of 51 in Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
#6 of 51 in Sarasota

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!