“A VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Resort at Longboat Key Club

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
london
“A VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We have been to Longboat Key on a number of occasions, but this was our first stay at the Longboat Key Club. Our room a junior suite was in block 4 and overlooked the Gulf/sea. The room and the in room facilities were excellent with a small kitchenette, washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. This allowed us to save a little money by making our own breakfast and occasional lunch. The beach was on our door step with cabanas, sun loungers etc, with excellent beach staff and as required a bar service. There is also a pool but this tends to get crowded up with children and even though there are sun shades, can get very hot. There is also a bar here where we watched Murray win at Wimbledon ! Overall very pleased, it is on the expensive side but well worth that little extra once in a while.

Room Tip: Blocks 1, 2 and 3 are next to the pool, blocks 4 and 5 are slightly further away and as such quieter...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear davglyn:

I'm glad you have found the resort at Longboat Key Club and had a wonderful experience with us. I'm also glad you loved your Gulf view from your Junior Suite and were able to utilize the kitchen, etc. I will pass on your comments about the excellent beach staff and bar service to the team.

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review our resort.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Little Rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Have stayed at condo/resort properties from Gulf Shores, AL to Destin, FL, Seaside, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, Clearwater, FL, Anna Maria Island, FL and now Longboat Key. This property was one of the cleanest places of them all. The only place that had daily cleaning service and if we wanted it, twice a day. The comments from other guests about food prices we found to be true- pricer than other resort/restaurants, so we left the property and enjoyed the area restaurants. The staff could not have been nicer, more helpful, friendlier. They even came to the beach to see if we needed food or beverages, no other resort has offered that bonus to us. They provide beach towels, too.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 4. Rooms ending in 1 and 2 in that building don't offer the best beach vie...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear BUBear86:
Thank you very much for your “5 rating” I’m very appreciative that you “Loved It” and I hope we will see you again in the upcoming year. Thank for your comments on the superb cleaning of the suite and the level of service at the beach.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have been coming here for 3 years straight and we stay for about 3 weeks.
The beach crew take great care of you setting up your umbrella and chairs and helping out in anyway they can. Ron, beard guy (can never remember his name ) and the crew are outstanding. Please give them a tip, they work in 100 degree weather for 9 hours a day!
Also the beach is gorgeous, private and great for shells, kayaking, paddleboard, snorkeling or whatever water sports you want. We stay even during the busiest weekend on July 4th and still doesn't feel packed. Best buildings to stay in building 3 and 2.
Rooms are in good shape, need to be upgraded soon but still in great shape.
Rooms are spacious and come fully equipped with washre dryer, dishwasher, fridge etc..
I can't say enough how great this place is. If you have any complaints after staying here, you should really either seek counselling or try some happy pills. Life is good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear RobFromCanada:
Thank you for the “5” rating!! We greatly appreciate your kind words about out Beach team. They do work very hard in the jot sun and greatly appreciate when they hear a positive comment such as yours. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Lakeland, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

After a long day on the beach, my wife and I were tired and wanted something simple to eat. Unfortunately, the only place at the resort to eat at the time was the Point Restaurant. I had a plate with four scallops & my wife had a very small filet. Both were good, but I was expecting an adult meal, not an appetizer. I don't mind paying for what I get, but $96 for two appetizer size meals is a little much. I feel we got ripped off. Also there was a 20% gratuity added, which is what I usually tip anyway, but I guess I looked like I couldn't be trusted to tip. Just a negative experience all around. Don't get me wrong. This is a wonderful resort, but I don't recommend the Point Restaurant. You can get three adult size meals for the price of one appetizer size meal at this place within a short drive from the resort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Bruce S:
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I’m glad you found our resort to be wonderful, but sorry you did not enjoy the Sands Pointe Restaurant. It is a very popular spot for our guests and many options for dinner including a multiple course pre-fix menu that we normally offer as well. We do have 3 other outlets open for dinner, (Barefoots upper deck, Portofino and the Tavern). Thank you again.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

My sons went to baseball camp at nearby IMG, so my husband, daughter and I stayed at Longboat Key Club and Resort for a week in June 2013.

Room we rented was an ocean front suite. The room was really great. Clean, large, comfortable beds. Well stocked kitchen. Awesome balcony with beautiful views.....only complaint was housekeeping. A couple of the days my husband had to work from the room so we called and just asked if the room could be cleaned after 4pm.....we were told "maybe, we don't usually do that." There is no housekeeping after 4pm.

The pool was very nice but everyday we were there, only 1 waitress staffed the entire pool and beach area so getting a pool side drink/meal was not a smooth process. I do not require that for a vacation site, but for the price of the resort, the ancillary staff was SLIM.

The property has 2 small gift shops with limited items. Fortunately there is a CVS and Publix nearby and shopping is close as well.

The fitness center was adequate. Again, no bells and whistles. For the resort fees, there were not bottles of water or towels available.

Spa was good, very pricey.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank erdockw
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear erdocw:

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you liked your clean, large and comfortable suite. I would certainly like to talk to you about your timing request so we can be sure the correct information is being relayed. We offer T/D service in addition to daily service, so we can accommodate any timing requests you have.

We have 7 Gift shop areas. The Lobby resort Shop, the Pool Store, I/S golf shop, I/s fitness shop, H/S golf Shop, The Tennis gardens shop and the Marina Store. In addition to the ones right at the resort center, we can take you to our other shops.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

St. Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had an exceptional experience at Longboat Key Club 5 years ago, but upon returning for this year's spring break, it was not the same.

Make no mistake, it is still a very nice resort. But, it's clear that the investment in the property and the attention to the guest experience has waned. It is not an inexpensive place to stay, and I question the current value of what they offer.

Most of my feelings are intangible, but in general, I'd say the main resort has grown tired. The rooms feel a little worn,and the staff seems the same. I didn't perceive the same high-qaulity of people.

Perhaps a part of this is the significant investment made in the bayfront part of the property over the past several years. The new tennis center must have eaten a bunch of cash, and that was likely money diverted from the oceanfront property. I'm sure the Great Recession didn't help much either.

This is particularly disappointing because we LOVE the area. St. Armands Circle is great, the beaches are great, and access is relatively convenient from the Tampa airport. But, in general, the whole key of Longboat seems very tired, and the Key Club seems to have come down with it. We'd love for them to reinvigorate the property, or for another operator to build a new upscale property on the Key. Of course, if someone knows of a hidden secret in the immediate area, please don't hesitate to share.

The last time we stayed at Longboat Key Club, I gave it a raving review. But, it's just not the same today.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TJinSTL
Dear TJINstl:
I’m sorry you did not feel the property lived up to what it was on your last stay. Our new ownership is putting significant capital into the property, many after your stay with us. Since then the Spa has been completely remodeled, the pool area furnishings replaced, much of the golf course re-sodded, Locker rooms upgrade, etc. I hope you will consider coming to stay with us again and see all the new changes.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

This is our 5th couples vacation here and it is one of our favorites. I love the Tommy Bahama feel to the place. The tennis was amazing and the beach was perfect. The service amazing and enjoyed the spa one day that was top tier.

Just the feel of the room, the kitchen, and location...we will be back. Our only change in the future is to ask for a better view from 2nd floor we could not see over the palm trees and my morning coffee on the deck will be better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dawg 89:

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate that you and your group of couples choose to keep returning to the Resort at Longboat Key Club. I will pass your kind comments to our associates at Tennis, Beach and Spa. Glad you enjoyed your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#3 of 49 in Sarasota
Tropical Breeze Resort
Tropical Breeze Resort
#5 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!