“Nice but the details can be an issue”

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Toronto, Canada
“Nice but the details can be an issue”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We really enjoyed our time on the beach at this upscale resort. The staff was very helpful at organizing our beach lounge chairs and umbrellas. The rooms (we stayed in 2 different ones) were nice but they are nearing the end of their cycle and need to be updated. This resort is at least partly made up of owner rental units and we had to change rooms when the owner wanted to come in. They moved us from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom unit and the price went up accordingly although they did waive the accompanying higher resort fee when we complained about it. Please note that there is a resort fee on top of your room rate. Additionally, Florida likes to add on a couple of extra taxes so the room rate can be considerably higher than what you first expect. Also be aware that the resort adds a mandatory 20% tip to all of your restaurant experiences. All rooms are furnished exactly the same (dated). There are lots of choices for alternative places to eat but you do have to drive to get to most of them. We would stay again but we would also look around first to see if there are any better deals in the area.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are nicer.
2 Thank David S
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Davd S:
Thank you for being our guest and I’m glad you enjoyed your time with us. Thanks also for mentioning the positive experience with our beach team. The suites are furnished identically and were fully remodeled just a few years ago. I’m sorry you felt they were dated and we will be on cycle to remodel again in the near future
There is a resort fee, but it gets you tremendous value for items many other resorts charge for. They include
Bicycles
Notary Services
Daily Newspaper
Access to Business Center
Library usage of Books and Media

We hope to see you again in the future.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was supposed to stay at the Ritz Carlton. The Ritz was overbooked and I was given my walking papers to go to this hotel. Although I went very close minded, annoyed, and exhausted, I was immediately happy. The hotel room was more a one bedroom condo with an amazing view of the ocean. I was on the 4th floor, so I slept the balcony door open and enjoyed the fresh air and sounds of the ocean while I slept. I wish I didn't have to leave so early the next day so I could have enjoyed the amenities the hotel had to offer. I hope the next time I stay in Sarasota and I'm supposed to stay at the Ritz, I get my walking papers to stay here again. I think I will bring my family on vacation for a weekend, because it was so enjoyable. Although I am going to give it 5 circles for value, I actually do not know how much it costs to stay here as the Ritz took care of my expenditures.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sbkfl
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Sbkfl:

Thank you very much for your recent visit to our Resort. It is very refreshing to hear how much you enjoyed the property, especially since you were not aware of us prior to your stay. Being that you are only a few hours away, we hope you will plan to bring your family back in the very near future.
We also greatly appreciate your rating of “5”.

Brooksville, Florida
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My new girlfriend and I checked in Friday November 22nd. We were excited to get our weekend started. We checked in and were handed our keys to the room. We drove around to our building, grabbed our bags and went to our room. We were pleasantly surprised to see the complementary cooler to take to the beach, as well as the bag of pecans as well. It was then that we realized that neither were meant for us...we were given keys to someone else's room! We drove back around to the front desk, where we were reassigned to another room. We were given some lame excuse about the rooms being "joined together in booking" whatever that means, (I booked one room myself directly with the hotel). Finally we drove back to our building, unloaded our things again, and went to the room.
The room was very nice, with a great view of the gulf and pool. The bed was fairly comfortable. I was very surprised Saturday morning to have been woken up by somebody cleaning the pool deck with a leaf blower at 7am! Why would someone do that so early in the morning? (The same thing happened Sunday morning at around 9am.)
The swimming pool and beach were great. The attendants on the beach were awesome and very accommodating. They were there to set up any chairs, umbrellas, or cushions that we or anybody needed on the beach. All the guys were very personable and very friendly.
We also took advantage of some of the dining facilities as well. Saturday night, we had reservations at Portofino. The food was exceptional here. I certainly recommend this to anybody looking for an upscale dining experience. Sunday was the buffet by the pool. Great selection as well as service.
Overall, I have rated the property a 4 out of 5. I feel the initial first impression of being checked into an occupied room while an error, could have been handled better. I also think that during the cooler months the resort should review the us of leaf blowers around the pool early in the morning. I was enjoying the sea breeze and sounds of the waves while sleeping, not expecting to be woken by power tools!

4 Thank Jay F
Dear JayF
Thank you for your recent stay and review. I’m glad your room, meals, and beach experience were very positive. I apologize for the check-in concern and that of the noise. Even though our lush landscape takes care, our standard is not to have any power equipment running at that hour of the day and this has been reviewed. I would be happy to discuss with you directly at any time as well.
Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Longboat Key Club.We were celebrating our 25th, having honeymooned in Long boat.Every staff member we encountered was friendly,courteous and helpful.We were upgrated to a lovely 1 BR suite w oceanview.The room, staff, service was stellar and we cant Thank them enough for a wonderful stay.We will be back next year!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff S
Dear JeffS:
Thank you for the “5” rating! Glad you had a memorable experience for your 25th wedding anniversary. We appreciate being part of it. Thank you for the kind mention of our “stellar” staff. We look forward to seeing you and your wife for your 26th Anniversary.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Longboat Key Club and had a wonderful time. We want to give a special shout out to Ron in room service. He is very friendly and has delivered our meals for over 10 years now. He always enters with a smile and remembers us from other visits. Also I want to say the beach service guy name Brad( with beard) went out of his way to help us on the beach. He even made a special trip to office to mail a postcard for me. The resort has had many changes over our 15 years of visits but it still remains one of our favorite vacation spots. We only wish there was some sort of courtesy card/points/upgrades for being such a loyal visitor.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and beach are the best
1 Thank Pam L
Dear PamL

Thank you very much for your very nice review. I have thanked Ronald and Brad for providing you excellent service. It is always wonderful to see our associates specifically mentioned for their service spirit. We look forward to seeing you again on your 16th visit.

Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Location amazing, bartender amazing, made cleans our room while we're at the pool and confiscated all our food and alcohol, management compensated us only $30. Resort needs to be updated. Not the Marriott beds. Sofa bed was broken down hard to sleep bye

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Nancy E
Dear Nancy E:

I have attempted to reach you privately a couple times through Tripadvisor to discuss your stay. The food/beverage items were not stolen, but removed from the room on checkout day as we had showed you checked out. Items of non-perishable nature were recorded with security and perishable items were disposed of. Our manager offered to reimburse you for the error and the $30 figure was arrived at based on your request and description. Sorry that you feel as you do, but I am very confident in the integrity of our housekeeping department and have seen countless items high in value turned in to lost and found. Thank you for your positive comments on the location and our bartenders. I am still willing to discuss this matter further with you at any time as we would like you to have a favorable view of the resort.

New York
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

The beach is one the best we have experienced in the US. It's a private beach with beautiful water and soft sand. Drinks on the beach area are kind of slow but solid drinks and service throughout. The restaurants and food are really good.........

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MahirN
Dear MahirN”

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I agree that the beach is one of the top beaches anywhere. You know it is wonderful sand when you can walk on it barefoot on the hottest of days. We appreciate your kind words on our food and beverage at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back to be our guest again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#3 of 49 in Sarasota
Tropical Breeze Resort
Tropical Breeze Resort
#5 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!