“Loved it.”

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Longboat Key
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Had intended to use this hotel as a base to explore the nearby towns during our 3 day stopover. In the end, we went no further than downtown Sarasota, We will have to come back again and stick to our original plan.
Our allocated room was on the 6th floor of Building 3. Good balcony area overlooked the bay. It was a joy to sit out and gaze at the setting sun. No noise once the pool activity died away, very comfortable, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities....all reviewed in depth by others. Ashamed to admit the we barely made use of the ample facilities (golf, tennis, restaurants, etc), but kept life simple with poolside dining which was good with helpful, friendly service. It is not cheap, but I guess you expect that in order to maintain standards in an area like this.
One thing which we, as first-time British visitors would have found helpful would have been a simple step-by-step guide to the resort.; where to park, where do you find the beach towels, where do you eat and what is the dress code etc. We found it a little overwhelming at first and such an information sheet would have been a blessing.
Other than that, can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Happyretiree63:

Thank you for the “5” rating! It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy the beautiful Gulf view from building 3. The sunsets on Longboat Key are magical and truly a blessing. Glad you were able to truly relax and enjoy the property. I apologize the resort was not explained in whole upon check-in. I will review that procedure with our team as it is vital in getting your stay off to the right start. Our Guest Service team including concierge are available to help plan any need or desire you have. Looks like you may need to return a couple more times, once to explore the area as you mention and another to explore the resort offerings (golf, tennis, restaurants, etc) --:)

Thank you again for being our guest.

There are newer reviews for Resort at Longboat Key Club

Reviewed 28 February 2014

For the second year we have visited the Longboat Key resort and it has more than lived up to our expectations. Very friendly and helpful staff, great room, excellent restaurants and very fine service. We can really recommend this place!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Birgit F

Dear Birget F:
You for your “5” review! We appreciate your kind mention of our staff as well as the restaurants and accommodations. Personal recommendations is still the best way for us to find new customers. We look forward to seeing you again for your 3rd year!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Overall this is a very good hotel. Nice location, nice rooms, all the usual characteristics of a very good hotel. What stood out for me, however, was the level of service and the exceptional attitude of the staff. While on vacation there my husband became ill and was hospitalized for a couple of days. During this period, just about every staff member I came into contact with asked about him, and I could tell that the concern was genuine. In particular, I would like to recognize one person, Matthew Gordon, who was working on the front desk. When I mentioned to him that our rental car was stranded at the medical centre from which the ambulance took us to the hospital, he offered to drive me there to retrieve the rental. He in fact drove me in his personal vehicle and on the return drive to the hotel he stayed just in front of me to ensure that I got back safely. I was absolutely blown away by this gesture. We had to cut our vacation short to return home, but we would return in an instant for a future vacation.

2  Thank SharonB1948
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear SharonB1948:
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed the resort for the time you were with us and that you saw our customer spirit in our staff. We are all very sorry your husband had the situation he did while you were both enjoying your time. I appreciate your review as well as the email you sent me directly. Matthew is a very good leader of our team and I'm glad he was able to make your situation a bit better.

We will look forward in welcoming you in the future. Our thoughts are with you and your husband.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Better than average food for a conference with 100+ people. Food at the pool bar/restaurant was also good. The room was large with a kitchenette, washer/dryer, lots of closet space, balcony lounger and dining table, comfy bed with good pillow choices and amazing water pressure in the shower. My room had been updated but the resort had a late '80s layout/feel to it. The spa was nothing special. No soaking pools or amenities other than your purchased services. The fitness center had decent weights and cardio machines.

The pool area felt crowded and the pool is a little small for the size of the resort. Direct ocean access is steps away. Nice beach - lots of lounge chairs.

Service was spotty - it seemed like a trend of staff being somewhat "barky" e.g. One front desk clerk barking at the other to help me; the spa attendant barking at me about put your clothes there - the bathroom is not there - etc. My room did not have a hair dryer so I called down to have one delivered. 45 minutes later I called to ask if I could pick one up someplace - they promised to bring one up. I made a third request after another 10 minutes and asking nicely for help because my dinner event was starting in 15 minutes. I finally gave up and went to my event with wet hair.

There was a card in my room inviting me to enjoy a complimentary signature cocktail at the Lobby bar. I indulged - but found they had cheapened the promised drink using midori instead of absinthe. Lame.

I wouldn't choose this resort for a vacation - if it had been my money I would have been more critical. But it was decent for a conference.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lostinthesupermarket

Dear lostinthesupermarket:

Thanks for being our guest for your conference. I'm glad the conference went well for you and your group.
I'm sorry you felt there was less than perfect service. A bit surprised as our goal is to make you feel pampered and relaxed. Not at all our standard for you to wait for anything and I'm truly sorry you had that experience. Would be happy to discuss this more with you offline so we can track the response and be sure it is perfect going forward.
Thanks again for being our guest and your positive comments on the food and your updated suite.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

we were there for five days. Nice place to go to if one wants to just relax. Nice restaurants in the area. Resort very quiet and private as well.
If one is into Tennis, this is a nice option given the tennis club that is linked to resort.
The tennis club is top notch. They have a tennis concierge service. Zo who is in charge is very good at finding matches with local players

Room Tip: we had a junior suite and it was great. It was a nice room to hand out in. rental car advised
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Nationalelf78:

Thank you for the "5" rating. We greatly appreciate your mention of Zo at the Tennis Gardens. Because of your positive mention of Zo, she will be entered as a finalist in our "Dreamaker" of the month for February! I'm glad you enjoyed the wonderful Tennis Gardens, home to the Sarasota Open in April. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We came down from NY for Presidents week. I am very happy with the hotel. We were able to upgrade via AMEX platinum to a deluxe two bedroom. The room was seriously amazing. 2 beds 2 baths full kitchen and large living room. My apt in NYC is not this big. Partly I think we got it because of the woodpecker outside my window banging away EVERY AM, but whatever, kids are up early anyway. The kitchen had everything we needed. The pool is nice and never overcrowded. No need to fight for chairs at the crack of dawn. I also had no trouble finding parking spots for the car. The beach is terrific and clean. Lots of chairs and staff on the beach. Kids found tons of shells. The food was OK, but every meal had loads of service charges and really very little goes to the server so you feel compelled to tip. $45 worth of food turns into a $70 meal. I had a nice massage at the spa. All the staff members are polite and helpful. We would definitely return. In all, it's a solid 4 star resort, but they earned a 5 from me for the upgrade. Thanks AMEX platinum.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Edward R

Dear Edward R:
Thank you for the "5" rating. American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts Program is a great way to experience the resort. We appreciate you booking through them. Glad you were able to enjoy the spacious 2 bedroom unit.
The beach is certainly one of the many highlights of the resort and makes you feel like you are on a private island.
The service charge is 20% and the majority of that goes to the service staff. Tipping extra is entirely at your discretion.
Again, thanks for the "5" rating and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Our stay at the LBK Resort was fabulous.The beautiful suite overlooking the gulf was amazing(thanks to Mr.Matthew Gordon for assigning the room).The food was so delicious.The golf was great.I can't say enough good things about LBK resort.You have to go

Room Tip: Building 3 upper floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear YRRETELKNIHS:

Thank you for the wonderful "5" rating. We appreciate you being our guest and I'm am very pleased the stay was "Fabulous". It's wonderful that Matt was able to get you the view you were looking for. There are so many wonderful views from our suites. We hope to see you again in the near future where you can play golf and enjoy the beach!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
#6 of 50 in Sarasota

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!