“Amazing beach and beautiful resort to match!”

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Longboat Key
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was born and have lived in Florida most of my life but this was my first trip to Longboat Key. It is now a favorite spot for me and we will return to the Resort at LB Key as often as possible. The beach and water are incredible - crystal clear water - frequent appearances of dolphin and manatee passing by. The resort is near perfect makes the experience even better. Our room - a junior suite in bldg. 3 - was spacious, well appointed and very comfortable. The "kitchenette" includes a cooktop, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, and washer/dryer. We used it all! Huge bathroom and comfortable bedding. Each suite has a nice size porch that includes a chaise lounge and table with 4 chairs. The view from each room is to the beach and pool area. The resort was sold out but still very quiet. The staff extremely friendly. We will return - often I hope.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 3 - all rooms face the beach. Also request floor 4 or higher - to avoid the tops o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear MDC0
Thank you for your “5” rating and for being our guest. Great to hear that your first experience with us was an exceptional one. I never tire of watching the manatee and the dolphin as they frolic on our waters. Great that you found everything in your junior suite to be spacious and well appointed. Your description of the unit and view is appreciated. Thank you for mentioning the friendly staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,862)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed for 5 days with wife and daughter, we had a good rest after travelling to Orlando for 9 days . Hotel is clean and our 1 bedroom suite had a excellent view of the gulf. I cannot say there was anything wrong with the Hotel or complex just that in my opinion for the price you are paying you do not get the quality / standard you would expect for the $ you pay.
Slight problem with sleep , we stayed in Block 1 and lots of banging noises at night , approached Hotel Desk and they informed me it was the tide slapping against the wall, I guess they cannot do anything about it but it still does not distract from the fact you do not get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MJHlocal

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I’m glad you had a good rest and you found the hotel clean and your one bedroom unit had a great view of the Gulf of Mexico. I am not familiar with the sounds you are speaking of. If there is a storm in the area and the normally flat water is creating waves, you may hear the natural sounds of waves against the sand on the beach. There is no retaining wall in front of our resort and it is direct sand entry.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We travelled to Longboat Key over the Memorial Day weekend. I went in with low expectations after reading quite a few reviews and also being used to staying at the Breakers in West Palm. I was actually presently surprised - we had a nice room with a great balcony overlooking the lagoon which we loved. It was tranquil and peaceful and my 5 year old enjoyed all the marine life he could view from the balcony as well as the crabs on the sidewalk down below. The bathroom definitely needs an update there was mildew on the wall and water pressure was not great, carpets need to be cleaned and the dryer did not dry our clothes I ended up hanging them up inside the room. Other than that it was nice.

The pool with close proximity to the beach was nice. The wooden walk way needs to be replaced as it is splintering and nails were sticking up - it would also have been nice to have showers in the bathrooms by the pool like the do at many hotels like the Hyatt in Sarasota so if you have a late flight you can shower and change. Food service was below average in the sense that one it was extremely slow and quality was lacking. I always got my son a child's meal and he was never offered a drink with the meal and it came with it and one time was actually charged for his drink that was included. The servers seem understaffed and overworked for a busy weekend.

The waterfront staff was very helpful and accommodating and I loved the location. With a few minor upgrades and tweaks it could be a four star.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank backchick
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear backchick
Thank you for your very nice review and feedback on you recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed your holiday weekend with us and we hope to see you again in the future. I agree that he lagoon view building is a beautiful building and the view is very peaceful. We are fortunate to very often have manatee and dolphin visiting the lagoon area. I apologize that you found any issues in your suites . After a busy season, we are busy right now refreshing with preventative maintenance checklists and deep cleans of our suites. Our goal is to have everything perfect at all times. If anything is not 100% right, we want to hear about it while you are staying with us so we may immediately resolve.
I appreciate your comments on the pool area and its proximity to the beach area. We are constantly updating our product and I appreciate your observations on the wooden walkways to the beach. All of those walkways are being replaced this year. We do have showers and changing areas at our Islandside tennis building as well as at our spa for guest use. I’m sorry that was not clear, but the spa locker rooms are a wonderful relaxing place to freshen up on those late flight check-out days. We have reviewed your comments on the kids meal and drink with our food and beverage team. This should be seamless for you as our guest and I appreciate you mentioning.
I appreciate that you felt the waterfront staff was very helpful and accomodating and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My family has been coming to Longboat Key Club for the last 12 years- and my husband's family before then. We now live in Europe and we still chose to come here when back in the states. The resort is beautiful, the pool is always great for us and our daughter. The beach is beautiful and the resort does a nice job with helping you get set up with the chairs etc. The location cannot be beat. The rooms always work great for us. We are very comfortable at the resort. What i will say is that we noticed a decline in the service. Our check in was not smooth at all, even though we had an American Express reservation which should have had early check and a room upgrade- we got neither and in fact got into our late. Not an great way to start. The lunches and such seemed a bit unorganized when ordering at the pool and beach- but the food quality was great. We found everything to be very clean and the staff to be friendly. We will be back- I am sure- but we hope to see this resort get back to where it has always been in the past.

Room Tip: We always ask for a corner room sea view room in quiet building 4.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RSDriscoll

Dear RSDriscoll
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and for your many stays over the last 12+ years. Thank you for mentioning the beauty of the resort as well as the beach. I’m happy the beach team took good care of you while enjoying your time on the beach as well as your comment that the staff was friendly. Thanks also for mentioning that the rooms work well for you as well. I apologize that check-in did not go as well for you as it should have. I believe you were with us over the Easter weekend and therefore we were at capacity so the upgrade was not available. I apologize that we were unable to get you into this specific location as early as we hoped. It does appear we were able to check you in approximately 1 hour before normal check-in time. Non-the-less, there is no excuse for a check-in that was not “smooth” and I will review your concerns with our Guest Service team. I know each of their goals include providing a very welcoming experience and I apologize. Sorry you felt the lunch service was a bit unorganized. In the past few weeks we have added service flags to the beach operation which has already proven to assist with expedited service. Thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having been coming to the resort for over 20 years I can safely say that things are rapidly going downhill at one of my favourite hotels. The location is superb but that is their only saving grace. The staff, apart from housekeeping, are detached and adopt a couldn't care less attitude. The suites are tired and in need of a total refurbishment. It is very sad to witness the decline of such a formerly delightful resort.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa1611

Dear Melissa1611
Thank you for reviewing the resort. I’m glad you love the location. I agree Longboat Key is a wonderful location with pristine beaches and a great community. I am terribly sorry you did not have your usual experience this time and felt the staff was detached and your suite was not to your liking. I assure you we are constantly updating the resort. I appreciate the direct correspondence you had with us via email as well. As mentioned, we are addressing your specific concerns with our associates and I assure you we strive to provide unparalleled service experience. I hope we will have another opportunity to prove this to you.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

If you want to be right on the beach in Longboat, this is the place. Lovely! We had room 1107. Loved it. So quiet, yet just steps from the beach path. We debated the Ritz or LBKC, and we are so happy we chose LBKC resort. The staff was SUPER! They truly catered to our every need. We felt special. Room clean. We will be back next year! Oh, and the kids club staff was just great.

Room Tip: 1107...low floor...step right out onto beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Susan T
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Susan T:
Thank you for the “5” rating. So happy that you had a great stay, loved your room location and you enjoyed the beach as well. I’m so glad that you found the staff to be SUPER and they made you feel special. It was our pleasure having you as our guest. I agree that the Camp Loggerhead team is wonderful and all the kids just love their time in the day camp. See you next year.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Yes, the bathrooms, closet doors and cabinets need to be updated, but can't beat the location or the spacious rooms. This was our 4th year at the hotel and plan to return next year. Overall can't beat the location - just minutes from shopping and downtown Sarasota. Lots of wonderful restaurants nearby and just a short walk (over the walkway) to a beach full of chairs, umbrellas and cabanas. Also had the best butter croissant breakfast sandwich at the pool side restaurant with wonderful potato crisps.

Room Tip: I personally prefer Building 2 or 4 as you get a view of the sunset and get sun on the balcony in th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lmn83

Dear Imn83:
Thank you for your recent review. The bathrooms and cabinets are scheduled for our next renovation and not included in our most recent renovation which included all furnishings, electronics, windows and doors. Happy to year you enjoyed your breakfast at our poolside Barefoots Restaurant as well as our private beach area. Glad you have been enjoying your time each year and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#4 of 51 in Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
#6 of 51 in Sarasota

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!