“great food, staff and view”

Pirates Pub and Grub
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We sat down to enjoy a drink while looking over the bay and didnt leave for 3 hours! Partly because of the rain storm that came throught but it was a great place to wait it out. The view was beautiful. We saw dolphins and tons of pelicans. They all come in to rest on the boats against the dock. The staff was friendly and told us all the great local places to see. My husband LOVED the fried conch fritters. Great fancy drinks. We will definitely be back next time we are in town!

1  Thank michelle d

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I are local cooks and are well aware of the "beach food" that is offered on the Gulf. Unfortunately, we do not make the trip to John's Pass too often, mostly because the tourist make it an unpleasant experience. However, with limited time off in season, we wanted to do something different than our norm. We walked around John's Pass and nestled between The Hut, Sculleys, and The Friendly Fisherman, we found a great little gem.

We did find that there was not enough "direction" as to where the restaurant seating and bar seating were located. There could definitely be some updating with this. Especially with some of the bigger seafood places nearby. I only mention this because not only is the craft beer selection impressive, the food is INCREDIBLE!!! They are probably being overlooked when potential customers are perusing the boardwalk.

We order the Crab Balls as appetizers, and had huge chunks of lump crab in every bite. We received 6 for $11.95 on a bed of shredded lettuce with boom boom sauce. Absolutely amazing! With our app being so spectacular, we decided to order dinner. I had the clam strips (with hesitation because clam strips are usually terrible in any restaurant you go to) and my husband had the Gator Po Boy. Without a doubt, this was the best meal we had ever had on the beach. We had absolutely NO complaints about how the food was prepared. We both work industry, so we are definitely the biggest food critics. The french fries alone, are worth the trip. Hand cut and cooked to complete perfection. My only complaint was that we received plastic silverware.

This is the most bang for your buck in John's Pass. Great selection of craft beers, delectable food options, and all for a price any budget can afford. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank JRnDrea
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I love whole clams and lobster. The waitress said people come from all around for the clams. That's good enough for me...I thought.. Well they were full of grease, when she brought the dish to me the clams were sopping in grease, I ate one and had her take them away. She did take them off the bill and the lobster roll was barely edible. This is the first time that I could not eat food that was served.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We sat down at a picnic table and looked over the short and sweet menu. We ordered a bacon American burger and a lobster roll. This is a counter service place, but you can also sit inside (I think). Our food came out quickly and tasted great. Reasonably priced as well. We were very happy with our choice to eat here, we were going to go to sculleys but the prices were $$$$ and there was a long wait time.

1  Thank Mwyckoff1
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Absolutely love watching dolphins while I enjoy the best Sea Scallops with fresh cut fries and creamy coleslaw! They have excellent Pina Coladas and many craft beers! The servers and kitchen crew are so friendly, service with a smile! It's my favorite place on the boardwalk!

1  Thank Nicole L
Trickytk1, Owner at Pirates Pub and Grub, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your great review, hope to see you soon!