“Good Location, Decent Rooms, No Housekeeping”

Barefoot Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Madeira Beach
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Happened upon this hotel while driving up the coastline and decided to give it a shot. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and tidy, if a bit spartan, and the view of the gulf was great.

One odd thing was that housekeeping was not available and if you needed clean sheets or towels they would leave them for you in a basket and you would have to change your own sheets. In my opinion for the premium price they charge they should definitely have more amenities.

Would we stay again? Not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for the gulf view as the pool view would not be the way to spend your vacation.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Barefoot Beach Hotel

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I spent a week at Barefoot Beach Hotel in a poolside studio. I enjoyed the visit immensely! I liked the way they replaced towels and supplies by having you put the used towels in a basket outside your door each morning and had a checklist you could indicate when you needed items like soap or toilet tissue. Great idea! The office staff was helpful and courteous. It isn't the fanciest of places I have stayed, but certainly was a good value. The fact it was in walking distance of
John's Pass Village was a real plus also. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank k9lovertampa
Reviewed 12 April 2014

High rate paid, for ocean view, just because I got late check-in, I got pool side view.....they even don't have representative for late check in, just left the keys on envelope at box. Next day I request my ocean view room, they don't care about you if you get your reservation with third party.... They don't change us because they said "sold out".... Lol....the sign outside says VACANCY... Really
No room service with housekeeping..... You do need to request fresh towels with paperwork? Really? 412,19 dollars for 2 nights to get that nightmare? Never come back, never referring any body.... Ridiculous and racism situation....I'm not white....is that wrong?

Room Tip: Choose other hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lallynow
BarefootBchMgr, Manager at Barefoot Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest,

My name is Aaron Huffman the General Manager of the Barefoot Beach Hotel. I am reaching out to you in regards to your recent online review that you left for the hotel. I’d like to first start off by saying that I’m very sorry that your stay with us wasn’t enjoyable. We do strive to make sure all of our guests have a pleasant and near perfect stay. I would like to reassure you that you weren’t denied a Beach Front unit as we did not have any available. You booked your room through an online company and your reservation was for a Tropical Pool Side Studio Suite. We did have “Vacancy” when you arrived because we still had other Tropical Pool Side Studio Suites available. I assure you that the staff at Barefoot Beach Hotel treats all of our guests with the utmost respect. No guest is treated as priority over other guests for any reason. We appreciate all of our guests. They make our property what it has become. We are very proud of our establishment and the majority of our guests feel the same way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to change your mind about our Hotel. I would be happy to speak with you personally.
You can contact me at 727-537-0877. I look forward to speaking with you.

Aaron Huffman
Barefoot Beach Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I booked this hotel sight unseen so I had my worries. I guess I did not have to. The gulf view is deautiful and you could watch dolphins swimming by. The location was great and walking distance to St. johns Pass where there was food, shopping, jet skis, parasailing and more. The room was very comfortable and clean. The grounds were clean too. Everyone was wonderful. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The higher you are the easier to see dolphins.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank davemoose
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We enjoyed a great week here.
Friendly check in.
The room was clean, we loved a fridge and microwave.
The view of the ocean balcony was gorgeous!
The pool was small, but adequate.
The beach was powdery and well maintained in front of the hotel.
You can easily walk to John's Pass and other dining establishments.
HINT: we LOVED "grouper Tuesday" at the VFW in front of John's Pass.
They also had rib nights, spaghetti nights - we thought they were fun!
No drawbacks for us.
We would come back!

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank traveldoc
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We tried for weeks to find a getaway spot that had an opening for a 9 day stay and stumbled across this hotel. Never knowing how things are going to look until you get there, this is a gem. Low key, casual, spot with the friendly BBQ'ing manager that's always puttering around making sure the Hotel and guest are looked after - he's a gem too. As a Director of Housekeeping for a 5 star Resort in Canada I can tell you with confidence that everything in the room is spotless, the towels are super white, everything is right there. Only thing we had to go out and buy was a grapefruit knife - because whats a trip to the sunshine state without filling the fridge with grapefruit! It was also very close to Johns Pass, so a 5 minute walk provided us with dinner on a balcony every night, along with all the shops, oh the shops! Don't pass this one by, if you like gathering shells every morning on your walk, or sleeping to the sounds of waves crashing on the beach, with your balcony door open every night

Room Tip: We stayed in the top floor, end of the hall. There was no stove top to cook anything in our unit, bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights to recharge the batteries and to chill out after being recommended this was a quiet peaceful hotel after a hectic several days in Orlando. Firstly I booked this accommodation by phone direct with the hotel for a gulf view studio suite in October 2013 and requested a top floor quiet room, although not guaranteed it was implied so far advance this should not be a problem. Also I discovered that at this time of the year (Jan to late April) compared to any other time of the year the tariff is virtually double so please be aware of this when planning your holiday as this appears to be normal for everywhere else we tried at the beach (although this rule didn't seem to apply in Orlando).

On arrival we were somewhat disappointed that our request hadn't been acted upon and were advised we were on the middle floor and on entering the room the first thing I noticed was an interconnecting door with a neighbouring room but was advised when booking in an alternative room was unavailable as they were fully booked. Unfortunately we had problems on the first evening by both adjacent rooms with a mother and her '5' children on one side creating an horrendous noise until my husband asked her to be quiet at 10.15pm and then at 3.30am the other side (at least 3 young women) guests came back which I can only presume had been out partying and because of the interconnecting door it sounded like they were all in the room with us!

The following morning I complained to Cindy the receptionist who was unable to contact the owner of the hotel on the emergency telephone number which is left in the room as I requested a refund for the other nights stay as I was intending to check out. Cindy advised me she didn't have the authority to do this but both guests were checking out that morning and this was highly unusual and thought that both new guests due were couples only. Eventually in the afternoon Cindy had finally got a response from the owner who was willing to refund 2 of the 4 nights as by then it was too late to re-rent the room for that day so we decided to meet them half way and thankfully the rest of the stay was quiet and restful.

There is no housekeeping while you are there which is deliberate so guests can be left undisturbed and towels as mentioned in previous reviews are left in a basket and changed daily and any replenishments such as coffee, toilet paper, soap etc is requested on a check list. This worked well but something I feel should be in each room is cleaning materials such toilet cleaner and surface cleaner (washing up liquid was available) as an international guest this is something I do not wish to purchase when paying an average $300 per night to stay.

I feel we were probably unfortunate with our experience on the first night as overall we did enjoy our stay here and it is well located directly on the beach. Also Johns Pass where there is an abundance of restaurants, bars and shops is within easy walking distance makes for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Gulf rooms have wonderful views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Shoreline Island Resort
Shoreline Island Resort
#1 of 15 in Madeira Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilto...
#1 of 6 in North Redington Beach

Been to Barefoot Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!