“Basic on the beach”

Barefoot Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Madeira Beach
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed here a week in December 2013. The rooms are OK but us being a family of four a bit small, and the furnishing could most adequately be described as basic. That the rooms weren't cleaned on a regular basis didn't really bother us, but the ant colony that inhabited the kitchen area were definitely a nuisance. Any fruits or groceries left on the kitchen counter would inevitably be infested with ants, so we had to make sure everything was put in the fridge.

Apart from this, as has been mentioned in many reviews already, the hotel's location directly on the beach is marvellous, and the staff is very friendly offering tips and suggestions on restaurants and places worth of visiting. John's Pass village nearby have many eateries although you'd get a bit tired of the type of "tourist food" served there after a few days. Then we made daytrips to places like Clearwater, St Petersburg, and Sarasota instead. The kids enjoyed hanging out at the pool area too.

All in all my opinion is that you'd expect a bit more considering what you pay to stay here

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mohnomishe

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We decided to stay at Barefoot Beach Hotel after emailing back and forth with Barefoot Beach Resort. The resort is condo rental and not right on the Gulf...it looked very nice but we wanted beachfront and We were referred to this Hotel. The things others complained about were what we liked most. We never have maid service during a stay, so that isn't a factor for us. The list you leave in the basket provided is easy peasy...the room was clean,the balcony provided a priceless view, the bed was comfortable, the AC worked great. Microwave and fridge in room,as well as coffee maker and hair dryer, ice and laundry accessible...staff was helpful. Pool was well kept and well lite. Beach towels,sand chairs and even beach toys were all there to use. Hated to leave..great white sand beach..we swam with the dolphins just a few yards away. John's Pass is a 8 minute walk for food and shopping... I would go back any time...highly recommend!

Room Tip: If you like ocean view..beach front is definitely the way to go! However, if I was traveling with k...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janet L
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Great hotel with great staff, great rooms and incredible views. Really was everything we wanted from a beach hotel, even had a beach game basket with body boards beach balls racquets and buckets and spades, the kids loved it. The good sized pool was also a bonus. When we come back to Madeira Beach we will certainly be staying here again, hopefully for a bit longer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bobski01Kent
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Happened upon this hotel while driving up the coastline and decided to give it a shot. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and tidy, if a bit spartan, and the view of the gulf was great.

One odd thing was that housekeeping was not available and if you needed clean sheets or towels they would leave them for you in a basket and you would have to change your own sheets. In my opinion for the premium price they charge they should definitely have more amenities.

Would we stay again? Not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for the gulf view as the pool view would not be the way to spend your vacation.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I spent a week at Barefoot Beach Hotel in a poolside studio. I enjoyed the visit immensely! I liked the way they replaced towels and supplies by having you put the used towels in a basket outside your door each morning and had a checklist you could indicate when you needed items like soap or toilet tissue. Great idea! The office staff was helpful and courteous. It isn't the fanciest of places I have stayed, but certainly was a good value. The fact it was in walking distance of
John's Pass Village was a real plus also. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank k9lovertampa
Reviewed 12 April 2014

High rate paid, for ocean view, just because I got late check-in, I got pool side view.....they even don't have representative for late check in, just left the keys on envelope at box. Next day I request my ocean view room, they don't care about you if you get your reservation with third party.... They don't change us because they said "sold out".... Lol....the sign outside says VACANCY... Really
No room service with housekeeping..... You do need to request fresh towels with paperwork? Really? 412,19 dollars for 2 nights to get that nightmare? Never come back, never referring any body.... Ridiculous and racism situation....I'm not white....is that wrong?

Room Tip: Choose other hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lallynow
BarefootBchMgr, Manager at Barefoot Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest,

My name is Aaron Huffman the General Manager of the Barefoot Beach Hotel. I am reaching out to you in regards to your recent online review that you left for the hotel. I’d like to first start off by saying that I’m very sorry that your stay with us wasn’t enjoyable. We do strive to make sure all of our guests have a pleasant and near perfect stay. I would like to reassure you that you weren’t denied a Beach Front unit as we did not have any available. You booked your room through an online company and your reservation was for a Tropical Pool Side Studio Suite. We did have “Vacancy” when you arrived because we still had other Tropical Pool Side Studio Suites available. I assure you that the staff at Barefoot Beach Hotel treats all of our guests with the utmost respect. No guest is treated as priority over other guests for any reason. We appreciate all of our guests. They make our property what it has become. We are very proud of our establishment and the majority of our guests feel the same way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to change your mind about our Hotel. I would be happy to speak with you personally.
You can contact me at 727-537-0877. I look forward to speaking with you.

Aaron Huffman
Barefoot Beach Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I booked this hotel sight unseen so I had my worries. I guess I did not have to. The gulf view is deautiful and you could watch dolphins swimming by. The location was great and walking distance to St. johns Pass where there was food, shopping, jet skis, parasailing and more. The room was very comfortable and clean. The grounds were clean too. Everyone was wonderful. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The higher you are the easier to see dolphins.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express & Suites St. Petersburg - Madeira Beach
Shoreline Island Resort
Shoreline Island Resort
#1 of 15 in Madeira Beach

Been to Barefoot Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!