“Good food!”

Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located at Madeira Bay Marina, just 2 blocks North of John's Pass Village, this waterfront restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating with a unique "Old Florida" seafood menu with items like Frog Legs, Gator Bites, Smelts, Deviled Eggs, Shrimp & Grits and a Southern Fried Combo Platter! A Selection of Fried Baskets, Buckets and Dinner Platters with an amazing Fish & Chips Basket for only $8.95 that also comes with sweet Slaw and Hush Puppies! Incredible Breakfast menu with HUGE portions for only $5.25 to $7.95 on Sat. & Sun. from 9am-Noon!
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Loved everything about restaurant service a little slow but otherwise great! Across the street from the beach.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Fish was excellent view was nice and prices good as well would eat at again next time inn town. If looking for a good place to stay Anne's beach chill in us nice on Airbnb

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The pistachio crusted grouper was so very good as were the fried osysters. The fries and potato salad were just okay though.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

When a restaurant is right across the street from the Gulf of Mexico, especially when that restaurant calls itself a "fish house." I expect it to have fish so fresh that it makes me say "this is what fresh fish tastes like." I expect the sides to be almost as yummy as the fish. And depending on the atmosphere, I expect good service.

I visited Mad Beach Fish House today (May 21) and was disappointed on all three counts. But two of those problems originated in the kitchen, so maybe there's hope for the restaurant.

Beachgoers might remember MBFH as the site of the old Latitudes restaurant. At first glance, you might assume the restaurant takes up all three floors of the building, but it is located on the third floor. I tried to take the elevator up to the restaurant, but after waiting in vain for about three minutes, I gave up and took the stairs. I don't know if that is an everyday problem or just temporary, but if anyone in your party has trouble walking or climbing stairs, you might want to dine elsewhere.

I arrived just after what I assume was the lunch rush. There were about 8-10 other diners and I was able to grab a seat by the window, which gave me a nice view of yachts docked in the inlet from Boca Ciega Bay. It was so picturesque that I wanted to take a photo of the view, but the screen in the window prevented that.

As far as food, I went basic: a blackened grouper sandwich with fries and cole slaw. The sandwich came with a tasty dill tartar sauce and I'm so glad that it did. The cole slaw was so dry that I wound up putting some of the tartar sauce in with the slaw. Strange, yes, but it actually improved the slaw.

The grouper sandwich? The server told me that it was absolutely fresh grouper and maybe it was. Sadly, the kitchen staff totally missed in their blackening technique. Blackened does not mean covering the fish with a charcoal-like finish. Proper blackening requires the right spice blend cooked at a high temperature, resulting in a caramel-like reaction on the flesh of the fish. None of that happened with my fish. Part of it was just burnt.

Oh, and the fries? They were like the rest of the meal: at best, average, mostly because they weren't cooked right, with two and three pieces clumping together.

The service might have been the "best" part of the meal, but even there, the staff stumbled. I don't mind seating myself, but the large sign near the host's stand was clunky and honestly, even a little unfriendly. There weren't enough customers in the restaurant that someone on the staff couldn't have said hello when I walked in. And, truth be told, I was about a minute away from leaving before someone came over to give me a menu and take my drink order.

There are too many places on the beach to return to a restaurant with mediocre food and service. Next time, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

“Writers fish for the right words like fishermen fish for, um, whatever those aquatic creatures with fins and gills are called.
” ― Jarod Kintz, This is the best book I've ever written, and it still sucks

And here I sit fishing for words to describe the indescribably delicious seafood feast I was served this past weekend at the Mad Beach Fish House on, where else but Madeira Beach. This delightful eatery is located at 13205 Gulf Boulevard. Before I blather on any further, allow me to pause and suggest that if you like "Old Florida" style seafood at affordable prices you must visit Mad. You will leave happy...I did.

Just off Gulf Boulevard, you park in front or a convenient side lot and enter in front. You have a choice of using the stairs or the elevator to get to the third floor. We were promptly greeted at the door and invited to sit where we pleased. The Belle of Ballast Point and I had arrived just ahead of the lunch crowd, so we had a choice of seating options: inside at a picture window with a view or outside on the deck with an even more spectacular view.

Katherine, our most pleasant and efficient server, presented us with menus and took our beverage orders. After returning with our drinks, she inquired if we had any questions about the menu choices. Mad Beach has a Seafood Feast listed under Buckets, and I was curious about the two sizes after a disastrous "bucket" outing last weekend at a Gulfport venue. The bucket for one for $24.95, or the bucket for two for $36.95? Katherine assured me that the bucket for one would serve me well.

I could hardly believe my eyes. That bucket was filled to the brim with succulent, perfectly cooked seafood: a nice sized crab cluster, huge shrimp, mussels, and clams, a full ear of freshly cooked corn, red taters, and all seasoned just right with an Old Bay spice. The shrimp were so tender and juicy swimming in garlic butter that dribbled down my chin and arms. This might not have been a real appetizing sight, but I enjoyed the dickens out of that bucket. And, that shrimp was bigger than my...well, it was a real nice size.

My bride surprised me with her order since she is not known as an aficionado of seafood. Her choice for the Mad feast was the Crab Cake Sandwich that was loaded with lump crabmeat and topped with tomato and onions on a Kaiser roll adorned with a savory Creole mustard sauce. She declared the crab cake to be an excellent choice with more crab than breading and the meat had been picked over to remove any cartilage. The side of French fries was prepared just the way she likes them: extra crispy, s'il vous plait.

The Mad Beach Fish House was an excellent choice for lunch and with frog legs on the dinner menu I can envision a return trip. The only ever so slight negative for my bride was that we didn't arrive a little earlier so that she could chow down on the breakfast menu treats.

With adult beverages, our bill was a trifling $40.25. We also left a greater than 20% gratuity for Katherine.

1  Thank Jon R