“Very sketchy...”

Surfs Inn
Dayton, Ohio
“Very sketchy...”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I booked this place same day through Kayak. Bottom line upfront I had not problems cancelling and getting a refund through Kayak <tips hat>. Why did I cancel? I was traveling with my two sons 10 and 13 and after seeing the room there is no way I would ever keep my kids in a place like that. The whole place smelled like a swampy ashtray, the attendant lady was rude and creepy. The room was a sanitary disaster! Trust me when I say I am not that picky but basic cleanliness is a must for a hotel. After reviewing the photos it is obvious that most are out-dated but the ones that show a dank, nasty, unkept facility submitted by caring fellow travelers are obviously the most recent. The only think that is advertised that was accurate is the fact that it is directly on the beach, but that was not nearly enough to consider staying in that grungy place. Please, if you have to stay here, do not bring your children. They will lose all respect for you! :)

Room Tip: If you like to sit outside and smoke (which I do not) they have convenient plastic chairs and tables...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Abnhunter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Irwin, PA
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I did not get very far with this motel. I called to get rates -Joy (?) answered and when I said hi how are you to the front desk clerk, she answered (very curtly)" fine". Then I told her I wanted to check on some rates for a room and again, very unfriendly "when". I said in August and again "when" Apparently, I interrupted her lunch, so I apologised and told her I don't want to even think of staying there. Guess she does not realize how rude she came across on the phone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Madeira Beach hotels

Marietta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is a copy of the letter I just sent to management.

Used to LOVE to stay here. Never thought of staying any where else except when I thought Surf's Inn was closing. After my experience this year, I'm not sure I'll ever stay here again. Not only have you let the building maintenance go, the other rules are not enforced. The parking is supposed to be one parking space per room, which is totally acceptable due to a small parking lot. But this weekend it was not enforced creating a big dilemma for us PAYING guests who ended up with NO place to park!!! This is totally inexcusable!!!! I was told that someone was having a birthday party, but those ''guest'' of the party should have been told that they would have to park somewhere else!!! At this point, I don't know if I ever want to stay here again. And I will be sure to let all my friends & family know of my experience. I'm really sad that Surf's Inn has become so undesirable to those of us who always cherished staying there.
Also, my reservations were screwed up and when I arrived, was told that my reservations were for the next day, so had to stay in a different room for the first night. Was not happy about that at all!!! I feel like my first day there was wasted.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kay B
Albany, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed at this place numerous times during my childhood. Went back recently for one night. It's definitely in need of renovation, but it's right on the beach and it has a pool. If you're looking for a place to stay where you can roll out of bed and jump in the ocean, then it's great. If you're looking for 5-star catering, then you will be sorely disappointed. My room still had a fusebox, talk about old-world..... it seems like something off of a postcard or a movie set.

They're also tearing the place down in a couple of months and building condos, there were signs up all over the place when I last stayed there. Makes me a little sad, but whatever, this is life.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mike T
Spring Hill, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Checked in 2nd floor very small room for 2 ppl. Outdated beds, linens, tvs, no way to cook, small refrigerator. Great view great beach location, very poor upkeep of the property. Extremely small porch and interior, one of us had to stand still while the other was getting dressed or using the shower. Ok to "crash".

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jackie H
Largo
Reviewed 7 April 2013

When the reservation was made we were promised a 2nd floor ocean front room. When we checked in we were told we were in a different room. The one promised to us was given to someone else. The room we were given was on the 1st floor behind a post with no view. The room stunk and was not clean. We insisted on the room we had reserved. We were then told it would cost more for the 2nd floor.

When I told the front desk person that was ridiculous he told me to take it or leave it. He said certain rooms were not guaranteed. I told him we'd leave it and I wanted our money back. He said there was no refunds. When I told him we could handle it with the credit card company he began to rudely process the refund. During his outburst of rudeness I asked him about the reviews of his hotel on Trip Advisor. He rolled his eyes and said nobody reads them.

This place stinks and the employees are rude and liars. DO NOT STAY HERE !

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GregL535
Florida Keys, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here while in town for a concert.

A quick summary, then if you want the details, keep reading:

If you want top of the line, go elsewhere. If you are picky, go elsewhere.
If you want a place to sleep and shower, this is your place. If you want location with beach front for little money, this is your place.
It is an older property, but I truly believe your stay is what YOU make it. Sure there are some quirks that will probably offend some and will want to say this is the worse place ever. You cannot please everyone. For us, it was fine (not great, not perfect) but no bugs, we had a place to sleep and a hot shower. Would I stay here again, absolutely. Staff was friendly and it had a great location with pool and beach front.

We have been to all sorts of places from little 'mom and pop' style to 5 stars. While we knew going in this wasn't a diamond ranked motel, it did provide us with a place to stay and enjoy the beach, and that is what we were looking for.

We looked over the amenities page and called with questions to make sure we needed to bring what wasn't listed (hair dryer, etc). Not a big deal for us. The rooms do not have an in room safe (which we are not use to) but we had no issues with our belongings either.

Room servicing was not everyday, which didn't bother us either. We were there just to shower and sleep.

The room and property does show its age, again didn't bother us, just there to sleep and shower.

Our room had a light bulb or two that had burnt out, but it didn't bother us to complain about it, nor was it in a location that had to have light in that area.

We did notice a 'coming soon' board on each end of the parking lot. We looked it up and it appears the property may be sold or pending for new condo style units? Not sure so future availability may be more difficult if this is true.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, but only two story. I would prefer 2nd floor to get better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 15 in Madeira Beach
John's Pass Beach Motel
John's Pass Beach Motel
#27 of 48 in Treasure Island

Been to Surfs Inn? Share your experiences!