“Never again”

Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Maitland
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I am currently staying at this hotel. Thankfully, I'll never have to stay here again. This is not my first stay at this hotel. I stayed here for two nights in 2003 and again in 2004. Currently, the hotel is under "renovation." There is a great deal of noise during the day. My daughter and I were treated to endless drilling noises all day today. There were contractors walking around, as well. However, these details are not the source of my discontent with the property.

My main issue is with the lack of friendliness with this staff. I encountered the GENERAL MANAGER on three occasions today. He walked through the very small lobby twice today while my family and I sat in the lobby. Though he looked directly at us, he never spoke. My family and I sat there for thirty minutes, and although a another employee and the front desk were in the area as well, they never greeted us. This is quite an issue for me, as I at least expect to be greeted where I spend my money! I have NEVER stayed at a Hilton property (HGVC's, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, etc.) and felt that I was ignored.

My second issue is the condition of the property, which i stated is currently undergoing "renovations". I suppose that I was given a newly renovated room, as I noticed some changes that occurred between my last stay at this property. The suite appeared to have new flooring. I noticed no other changes. I did make a note of ripped sheers, stains in the bathroom, old equipment (who has VCR's now?), and a poor showerhead that makes squeaking noises!

In addition, the pool is located next to a wetland (translation: lots of creepy crawlies!). While this was just bad designing, and certainly too late to be fixed, the hotel could "amp up" the pest control in this area and remove some of the vegetation to discourage such pests. My daughter was afraid to swim in the pool, as we counted five lizards and seven unusually large grasshoppers beside and on the lip of the pool. In addition, there were a number of items floating in or at the bottom of the pool, at 11:00 a.m. There were not swimmers currently utilizing the pool. We returned to inspect the pool at 1:30, and there were three lizards and five grasshoppers present---no swimmers---I wonder why???

My last gripe is with the breakfast. This is a free breakfast, but I've never had such a poor breakfast at any other Homewood Suites (or the Embassy Suites!). The breakfast was served a by a very friendly man who was eager to assist guests (one positive for the property). But the praise stops there! On the menu were (powdered?) eggs, bland corn beef hash, crunch and broken hash rounds, watered down juices, and toast from stale bread. There were other items (cereal, yogurt, and etc.) of which I did not partake. There was a dinner served: rice pilaf, breaded bourbon chicken (tasted like chicken nuggets with an Asian sauce poured on top), and spring peas. A salad and fruit were optional items, as well. The dinner, though not remarkable, was much better than breakfast.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pinklady08
MaitlandGM, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

I am very sorry and embarrassed for any perceived ignoring of you and your family in our lobby by myself or any member of our team, I can assure you this was an honest mistake as guests usually comment favorably (even on TripAdvisor) about our staff and our "Welcome Home" greeting.

Our renovations are still in progress with an estimated completion date of September 30 - the issues you make mention of, shears, curtains, and the chrome items, are still to be replaced in the coming weeks. What has been done thus far includes painting the suites, new carpeting in each suite, new bathroom tiling in each suite, new artwork throughout the suite, new 42" TV's in the living rooms, new 37" TV's in the bedrooms. We have also added new seating in our lobby and lodge areas along with a new 52" TV.

The pool area has received new furniture over the past couple of weeks and is treated by a contracted nationally-known pest control provider that uses approved "green" chemicals. The area immediately behind the pool has been deemed a protected wetland by the state of Florida and we are unfortunately prohibited from removing or altering the vegetation. I agree with you, and if we could alter and remove the vegetation, we would gladly do so.

I appreciate your feedback on breakfast and dinner - while we follow the standards and protocol set forth by Homewood Suites as to the items we serve, perhaps something could have been done to positively alter the items to leave a better taste in your mouth.

I thank you for your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. I am available at any time to speak with you further.

Regards,
Warren Bingham
(407) 875-8777

Reviewed 11 July 2011

This a a beautiful hotel with a very friendly staff. We had our son with us so the pull out couch in the sitting area came in handy. There were doors that could be closed to separate the sitting area from the bedroom. The breakfast was wonderful. More than enough with a great variety. Everything tasted delightful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The folks are very friendly, but when we arrived at 5pm, the room was not ready. We waited in the reception area, and checked back every 15-20 minutes, and finally got a room at 6:15. They did not call us, we had to go back & ask. Also, when I booked the room, I asked if wifi was available in the guest rooms, and I was told that wifi is available in the room. When it didn't work the first time, the desk told me that there was no wifi in the rooms, and she would check on an alternate solution and call me back. Still waiting for that call. I tried the wired connection, & it's so slow that it is virtually useless. I booked the room in order to conduct a training session that is heavily dependent on a suitable internet connection. We would have been better off meeting at McDonalds.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank ekemp
MaitlandGM, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I am pleased to tell you that the hotel will begin renovations next week that includes adding WiFi to all areas of the hotel, not just the lobby area. I have gone over your review with our Executive Housekeeper and I am very sorry for the delay in getting you into a suite. If I can be of further assistance, please feel to contact me directly. Regards, Warren Bingham, General Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2011

My family and I were going on a cruise and we used my reward points to book a room at this hotel prior to and after our cruise. I had previously stayed at this hotel in 2002 and 2007. But, this time, it was horrible. I had two different rooms a room on the 3rd floor (2BR Suite) prior to our trip and on our return we stayed in room 620. The hotel is very unkept in my opinion. We entered the hotel from a rear entrance - near the housekeeping area. I have never seen anything like this. The carpet is always dirty - appears to need vacuuming all the time. I will add pictures showing how the tub in 620 has cracked plaster. Both rooms felt DIRTY. On our return we requested a room with two doubles - we got a king suite. We booked a double to accommodate four people. Not good. They offered us bottled water because of the inconvenience. But guess what? As a Gold HHonors member, I was supposed to receive that free anyway. And what Hotel does not have wireless internet in the rooms? Are you kidding? Wireless only in the lobby. And the connection in the room is horrible. Sorry Homewood Maitland, I won't be coming back - ever. Not even for a reward stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank VeronicaRN90
MaitlandGM, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I am pleased to tell you that the majority of the items you made mention of, especially WiFi and the bath tub are going to be remedied through an upcoming renovation set to begin in less than one month. If your travels should bring you back I would appreciate the opportunity to personally handle your arrangements and showcase our improvements. Thank you for taking the time fo offer a review. Regards, Warren Bingham, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2011

When I checked in I was told that there are Ethernet cables in the room. This hotel does not have wireless in the rooms so I was invited to conduct my work in the lobby. Yeah right!

It wouldn't be a problem if they did not advertise WIRELESS and HIGH SPEED INTERNET access on their website.

So what's the problem with wired?

Each room only allows one person to connect. Thus, my wife and I could not both get work done at the same time.

How sad that at a high-end Hilton property in the year 2011 in the middle of a very busy business business center (Maitland Florida) there would be no wireless.

The excuse was that they are an OLD hotel. (Really?)

Subsequently, we had to switch hotels. After all, we were there on business.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
MaitlandGM, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenity you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I am glad to inform you that our Internet offering as well as the hotel will be receiving an upgrade beginning in July. I look forward to welcoming you back when that is complete and you being able to complete your work on our new high-speed WiFi network. Thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Warren Bingham, General Manager

Reviewed 28 April 2011

I arrived at the hotel around 1pm, 3 hours early for check-in. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask about early check-in. I was not only allowed to check-in early but also asked where I wanted my room! The girl at the front desk was efficient and friendly.

The room itself was clean, lots of room for one person, kitchenette with dishwasher and full-size refrigerator. They have a small-ish pool, I didn't bring my bathing suit unfortunately:(

No complaints. Some minor comments, TVs were older, no DVD players (they actually had a VCR!! in the main suite), few channels (although HBO was provided for free), and overall I can see how people can call the hotel a little dated, but I didn't mind. Wifi would have been nice, but not necessary. Wired internet was provided for free.

Free breakfast every morning, a free, light dinner Monday through Thursday. Hard to beat that.

Maybe some chocolate chip cookies next time?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank schmidty86
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We had to find a hotel in Maitland quickly and without much lead time before our planned (and paid) trip. We had an unexpected illness in the family and could not stay with them. We read several reviews on this hotel and tailored our expectations accordingly especially given our last minute preparations and it was Easter Week in Orlando (e.g. hard to find reservations). We have extensively traveled and knew we weren't staying at a Ritz. However, we were thrilled!!!! Warren was exceptional as I have never had a GM actually make our reservations directly. He had no problems picking up the phone and stepping in to ensure the hotel operations run smoothly. When we arrived, we were told our room was ready for early check in and WOW! what a pleasant surprise. The granite countertops, new and contemporary linen, and fully stocked kitchen (with full size appliances) were lovely. I really was expecting a "tired" suite but liveable for the 4 days of our visit. However, the room was very clean, the kitchen area very nice and the entire living space was plenty for our family of 4 (we had a double bed suite provided 3 beds for 4 people! perfect!!). My kids LOVED our "home" during our visit and the pool and daily buffet were an added bonus. Plus, the beautiful acquarium in the lobby provided the kids alot of enjoyment as they named at least 6 of the 15 fish in the tank! Growing up in Maitland, I am not used to staying in hotels when we visit, however, this is the way to go from now on! We adore our FL family members, but the convenience, value, and location of this hotel can't be beat! It's an easy commute to the theme parks (we actually made day trips to the beach) but we noticed most hotel clientele were business travelers so the hotel was quiet and peaceful. The only areas of minor improvement would be the noticable carpet stain in the room (looks like something leaked at some point) and the breakfast buffet items did get sparse toward the end of hte buffet period. However, we had plenty to eat and I KNOW the hotel would have shampoo'd our carpet if I asked -- hotel even let me borrow a corkscrew without hesitation. Honestly, we can't wait to go back. Thank you to Warren, Rick, and the rest of the staff (especially the laundry personnel who showered us--no pun intended--with plenty of fresh, fluffy towels during our stay)

Room Tip: Be direct in your requests