“Great Long Family Weekend at Newish & Redone resort”

Marriott's Crystal Shores
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Long Family Weekend at Newish & Redone resort”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Our family of 12 grandparents & parents & children all split two -2 room suites.
Which truth be told is the size of a comfortable condo in most big cities.

Positives:
1) Rooms were modern & tasteful decor
2) 2 pools were at most kid depth & better suited to wading for adults
3) Plenty of chairs for everyone
4) Cabanas were great for family
5) Beach easily accessible
6) Staff is super nice
7) Fully stocked kitchen (except food of course)
8) Wifi works everywhere (except beach of course)

Negatives:
1) Charge for everything like beach chairs & umbrella
2) Cabanas are expensive
3) Collier road is full of lights
4) Pillows are too soft (neck gets kinked up in AM)

Summary:

Great time & going in we knew about the extra charges. We ate mostly off campus since there are a bunch of good restaurants around.
Going to Naples was fa 45 min trip since Collier is full of lights & the freeways in SW FL are a ways from where you usually are located.
But overall, I would recommend this place for the great rooms, family pools, cabanas, big kitchen, local restaurants & friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2011

As frequent visitors to Marco Island we had always wanted to stay at Crystal Shores but for some reason or the other we never did. This time around we made our reservation and were very excited to finally stay at this hotel. We decided to arrive around 1 PM in order to enjoy the beach and have lunch at the resort. Much to our surprise the room wasn’t ready at 1 PM. The front desk clerk very “matter-of-factly” informed us that the room wasn’t ready and that check in was at 4 PM, he also informed us that if we “got lucky” we might be able to check in earlier than 4 PM. We truly felt we weren’t going to have to wait for more than an hour so we decided to just wait by the pool. We laid down on the poolside recliners and tried to close our eyes for a bit. We immediately started to hear the “click-clanking” of the luggage carts. At first I just though an uncouth guest was taking a short cut to the hotel and decided to take his luggage through the pool area…but much to my dismay I soon realized that the pool deck was the way to the guest rooms. I spent the next three hours being disturbed by countless luggage carts making a racket. So finally 4 PM arrived and we walk over to the front desk building (the front desk is in a modular building a.k.a trailer with some cement stucco plastered to the exterior walls) eagerly expecting our room. When we arrived at the front desk we were one of three families waiting for the four o’clock check in hour. The front desk attendant, walks to the office behind the front desk and informs a guy (who I assume was a manager) that these guests wanted to know if the rooms were ready and the manager responds…”oh my God I cant believe the day has flown by…its already 4” He gets on the radio and starts asking the housekeeping department if the rooms are ready and the response over the radio was a very loud “NO”. The manager walks up to the front desk and informs us as a group that it shouldn’t be much longer. (keep in mind we are in no way related or even know the other families) I wont bore you with any further details but 4:30 PM comes and goes. At 4:45 I AGAIN checked to see if the room was ready. Unbelievably the room was not even ready at 4:45 PM!!! (the two other families were still waiting as well). The purpose of my three-day getaway was to rest and relax and trying to check into Crystal Shores was very stressful. Crystal Shores is an aesthetically pleasing facility with a vapid front desk staff. I do not recommend Crystal Shores. (* After I got home I called Marriott Corporate to complain and I was informed that check in at Crystal Shores is at 4 PM and that check out is at 10 AM. It seems that my check-in was “technically” only delayed by 45 minutes. Marriott offered to send me a voucher for a free night in any Marriott hotel. I thanked the agent for her offer but refused the voucher. My call was simply informative in nature not a request for a handout. As a small business owner I travel extensively and when possible I stay at Marriott, I have to assume the problems I encountered at Crystal Shores was an exception rather than the norm. I continue to be a fan of the Marriott brand and I hope this management “issue” at Crystal Shores is handled accordingly.)

5 Thank AlexRosell
Reviewed 21 August 2011

As a Marriott Vacation Club owner this is not what I expected.
The room is excellent!!!
The facility is poorly designed and has limited features compaired to other Vacation Clubs.
Go to West Palm Beach!!!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank North-Jersey_Guy
boston
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Hello,

We stayed here for a week and enjoyed it totally!!!!
The unit was new, georgeous, clean, and the resort is
extremely well kept. The balconies are also georgous and we loved the sliding glass
wall units to the balcony. As for the resort complex, we liked the laid back atmosphere. My kids made friends and spent most of our time by the pools and kids room. The grotto pool with slide was a hit. We all enjoyed it.... We mostly cooked from our room
or outside grills. There were plenty of kids activities available, some involved a small
fee. We liked going to Paradise Seafood and buying some fresh fish, and cold gulf-shrimp, a little pricey but excellent and fresh...
Hope to be back!

Americus, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We were looking for a trip to cash in some Marriott points and were planning on staying at the Marriott Marco Island Resort. We waited until the last minute to book the trip and were surprised to see the Crystal Shores show up as reward eligible. Based on the size of our party and the room size we saw in pics, we booked this instead of the Resort.

What a blessing and awesome time! We had four adults and three children. One of the adults was in a wheelchair and needed a roll-in shower. You always have to be careful with "handicap accessible" but this room met our needs and gave our handicap adult plenty of space to roll around.

Check in was easy, the tour we received from Richard was fantastic. The balcony of the room was phenomenal. We were in room 401 which had a wrap-around balcony so we looked straight at the beach and then could see one of the pools. We met a very friendly guest that was a Marriott Vacation Club member and she said that the rooms were slightly smaller than other Vacation Clubs, but I couldn't tell. It was plenty big for us and much bigger than staying in a regular Marriott room. And did I mention the view????

Our boys loved the waterslide. They must have ridden it 50+ times! It was fast! The staff was engaging and very friendly. Plenty of activities and my boys loved that they could check out a game from the Kids Room.

We would definitely stay here again! We didn't know much about Marco Island, but we left very impressed how family friendly it was and look forward to coming back some time soon.

1 Thank bienemy
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed here for a girl's trip and it was very nice. I would certainly return. The facilities are clean and the decor is fun. My favorite part of the villa was the balcony. Fantastic. The beds were comfortable and I liked having a washer/dryer in the villa. I didn't find the living room furniture to be very comfortable and I wasn't impressed with the on-site restaurant. Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Suffern., NY
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Overall, this resort is still a work in progress. It is not at the same level as other Marriott Vacation Club resorts. The parking lot is limited in size and you may need to walk a decent distance to the elevators (after passing through two pool security gates- not easy to do when carrying bags). There are only two elevators for a 14 story building and you have to wait for them to arrive. To be fair, the individual units are amazing. Marble counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and an awesome master shower with multiple heads are just some of the nice features. The pools are nice and the beach is a short work over the dunes. I know Marriott is out to make money, but would it kill them to give out the popcorn for free during a dive-in movie (near the pool).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Moorings
Edgewater Beach Hotel
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#13 of 59 in Naples

Been to Marriott's Crystal Shores? Share your experiences!