“Great place for Family” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
Stanfordville, New York
“Great place for Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We had a wonderful time (July 13-20). It was Florida-hot, but it always seemed cooler by the resort’s grotto pool (either my imagination Or a result of the building design at ground level that funneled air around). Everyone was very nice, helpful, and good at what they did. We had a 2-bedroom ocean-view villa on Floor 12 that was spacious, beautiful, and clean (W/D in unit!). The balcony ran the length of the unit, affording a wonderful view (with patio furniture for outdoor relaxing and dining).
We eat in a lot, but there were many restaurants to choose from. Some were just across the street. And the on-site restaurant was quick about prepping meals for pick-up or delivery. Our villa kitchen had service for 8, but because of the large, thick tableware, the dishwasher was full after breakfast and lunch with just 4 people there. Still, it had everything you need to prepare meals (pots/pans, openers, blenders, toasters, knives, etc.), and it had plenty of room for putting away groceries. The bed and bathrooms had a reasonable amount of storage space for our personal things. So we settled in very comfortably right away. I ran out of vacation time before I was ready to leave. The grocery (Publix) is only 2 miles away and reasonably priced. A Walmart (en route to the place if you’re taking Collier Blvd. onto the island) is about 10 miles away and was our location for snorkels and masks, hats, and flip flops. There are beach stores a stone’s throw away, but they are very overpriced. The biggest added expense was having to rent the beach chairs (2 lounge chairs + umbrella = about $105/week). If we’d driven instead of flown, I’d have brought those items with me. By the pools, these were free. The wireless connection was slow and unreliable (not sure if a wired option is available), so if you need a web-connection you might want to inquire more.
I would return.

Room Tip: I loved my 12th floor ocean view. Good views in all directions.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JHaf32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Niles, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Comparing Marco Island to the Marriott in Palm Desert.

Air condition at Marco Island has a greater run and off time, which to me I was either hot or cold . Also there is no way to just run the fan at a lower speed, that may have evened out the temperature swing.Great view, beaches are white and just perfect. Florida 95 degrees and 95 % humidity in the summer. The business center was very helpful.

Restaurants;

Tropiks, has a buffet that if you ask for it they will deliver. However the first two mornings out of a 10 day stay. I did not have great waitresses, which made the experience not good. And then on day 3 my waiter was Eloy, anticipated my needs, my bill was delivered as I was taking my last bite, my glass was always full, gave me a cup to take coffee with me. Without him I would not go back.

Pazzi's, The pizza place that we went to after the fire dance at sunset on the beach. The restaurant had an outdoor eating area, the pizza was good (not great) however they did not inform us that they were closing in 20 minutes, so half way through the meal getting refills on the water was me banging on the windows like Dustin Hoffman. If you do not understand watch the Graduate.

Stayed 7/13 to 7/23-2014

Allan

Room Tip: Kids are here, I'm to old to listen to kids.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Allan S
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Crystal Shores, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your five-star review, Allan! We are glad you enjoyed your time with us, including the sunny Florida weather. The local restaurant information is helpful to guests looking for a bite to eat in the area. We hope to see you again soon at Marriott's Crystal Shores!
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this resort for a few days in July and we live in Miami so we know Marco island well. We usually stay at Marriott Marco island and prefer that resort but this is a very nice vacation property and is very comfortable with 2 and 3 bedrooms with full kitchen and great balcony views. The hotel is very modern and has pretty good service, better than other vacation villas we have stayed in. This seems to be one of their premier properties and has a full service restaurant, which many MCVI properties do not. Overall a great place to stay on one of florida's nicest beaches on the gulf coast. The only drawback we noticed was the hotel only has 2 elevators going up to rooms and they are quite slow. You can tell this was an old hotel that was renovated. I think it was a Radisson some years ago. We like this property and will definitely return to stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank Restefania
Chalfont St Peter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The appartments on this Resort are made up from converted from hotel rooms(under a previous owner) and under the cirumstances, renovated really well. Appartments are beautifuly appointed and furnished and balconies the biggest I have seen, anywhere. And the view on to Marco beach itself, is stunning.
Only half the Resort plan has so far been built; this has left an isolated Reception area, the gym and Activity Centre currently in converted appartments and no covered access between the carpark and the appartments - which can be fun(not!!) in the rain!! These issues should all be resolved upon completion of the Resort- which would now appear to be happening in the near future.
New General Manager, Andy Sorenson is pulling out all the stops to make this Resort an even bigger success than it already is, His vision, passion and enthusiasm are evident to all! This enthusiasm has rubbed off on his team - Alysha's sunset yoga was amazing to experience, she is quick to learn and remember your ame and so friendly! Ryne vvery kindly went to the shops before his shift and purchased me my own pack of gluten free chips so that I could enjoy the "Cook Out" along with other guests.These little things are so important- thank you ! All staff were friendly and helpful including the security men at the Resort and beach etrance.
Activities here are the best we have encountered. One evening was spent listening to the talented vocals of MrJohnny Fusco, whilst enjoying free wine and cookies. On another evening we had a lovely wine and cheese social - such fun to be able to network and make new friends. Andy was here, rushing around with his notebook, making copious notes of guests comments and esuring that everyone was having a great time!
On another evening we watched a dvd of a Jimmy Buffett Concert, whilst enjoying frozen Margaritas.
Marco Island itself does not have much to offer apart from the beach but if you want to come and just chill out in a beautiful place you could do much worese tha spending time here!! Wear your flip flops on the beach, the shells can be sharp!
We had a wonderful time and left having been made to feel really special and valued as guests, by Andy and his team. Thank you - we shall be back!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Peykake
Thank you for your fantastic TripAdvisor review! We really appreciate your kind words for Andy and the rest of the team at Marriott's Crystal Shores. Please know, we will share your comments with the resort team so they may be properly recognized. Thank you again for your review and visiting us on Marco Island!
Plantation, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

As a member of MVCI, we purchased a package for this time share and were very impressed. We had a 2 bedroom rental and it was spacious and well appointed. The facilities at the resort were excellent, as they are at all Marriott properties that we have been. There is always an activity going on at the resort and is kid friendly. Marco Island is a great destination with plenty to do. Being about a 2 hour drive from my home near Fort Lauderdale, we will definitely return for another visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jjfisher406
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We are Marriott Vacation Club Owners. Here is what we liked about Crystal Shores: I liked the mod design, it's a nice departure from the pseudo-italian flair of most Marriott Timeshares. We had the best balconies on the beach and spent a lot of time on them watching storms roll in and dolphins play. Ours was beach front corner, so having the wrap around balcony was great. Our unit was large, bright and sunny, though our friend's in the Ocean View was dark, gloomy and smaller. So spring for Ocean Front.

Alisha in the kids' club was great. In fact every time we went to the kid's club, we had good friendly service there. There are a lot of activities happening throughout the day which our kids enjoyed.

Being on the beach was great, though this is not a fine white sandy beach, it is covered in shells, which is great for shelling, not so great for just laying your towel on the ground and sunbathing. The water is very warm, but also very beautiful.

We did some great activities, which I've reviewed separately. We didn't find very many good restaurants.

Unlike other vacation clubs, they do offer bell service, and there were plenty of luggage carts. This was a nice surprise.

Now for the cons:

We were traveling with friends who we share time shares with. I purposefully had called the resort when I was first booking to find out the layout of the resort b/c I wanted to be sure our doors were close to each other so our kids can travel back and forth safely. They recommended an Ocean Front and an Ocean View. So I booked as such. I called ahead of time to ensure that we would have villas near each other. I will tell you that the OF's and the OV's are NOT near each other except on the corners and those OV's are very small. We would have done better to have two OF's and would have appreciated being told as such. It is embarrassing to have your guests be in a sub-par unit when they gave you a very nice place at the Westin Villas in Kauai the year before.

When we arrived, our guests' villa was not ready, despite the fact that I had been in contact with the resort ahead of time and let them know our arrival time. In fact it wasn't ready until 5 pm. No apology was offered, and they certainly still expected us to be out by 10 on departure day. This is not acceptable. I let the Owners Club person know and he agreed that wasn't ok, but didn't offer to do anything about it.

Our furniture was saggy and you can tell a lot of wet bodies have sat on it. We covered ours with extra sheets. The mattress and the pillows were horrible. (same as our earlier stay at the Grand Vista) I understand they are updating the furniture soon, though, so that might be ok by next year.

The restaurant is not very good. The food is blah, the drinks are watered down and the service was slow. (We went up to tell them we had a party of 9 coming for dinner in a couple of hours and the response was "Good Luck." not very service-minded. )

The pool side service is even worse. Most days the waitress only came every hour or so and never came back to have us sign our tab at the end of the day. I thought it was strange b/c this means she also didn't get a tip. On the last day, I had left the pool already and the waitress got mad at my friends b/c I had left without signing. Nice.

The pools are crowded, murky and warm. We went to the Marriott Hotel and the water was much cooler, so I'm not sure why they can't keep the pools at a lower temp. I mentioned the murkiness to the front desk, but they didn't seem too concerned about it. They have cabana's you can rent for privacy, but they are very dark and we didn't find the service to be much better.

I feel like with a little more effort this could be a nice resort, but there just doesn't seem to be much effort put forth to improve upon the little things. ie...it rains every day there, but there is no covered walkway from the rooms to the cars or even the front desk. Other resorts will put canisters of umbrellas at these points for their guests. That would be a very inexpensive option and goes a long way in letting the guests know they are being cared for. It is not so hard to apologize for not letting someone into their room on time and offering them complimentary drinks at the bar while they wait instead of being directed to wait in the very small front desk lounge. It is not so hard to circle back around and close out a tab with your guests. Small service minded improvements would go a long way in improving the experience. They also need to overhaul their restaurant menu.

Room Tip: Ask for a Ocean Front Corner Room....the higher floor the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kanga2roos
Thank you for visiting Marriott's Crystal Shores! We are disappointed to hear your experience did not exceed your expectations. This is not typical of the resort and we would like to personally respond to your concerns. Please email us at customer.care@vacationclub.com with your preferred method of contact and include your TripAdvisor Username. As an alternative, you may reach us directly by calling 800-860-9384. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

There is a lot to be said about this resort but the main things I must say about this resort , the atmosphere is wonderful , the staff service is like no other and the facilities are open to your convenience throughout the day.we spent an entire week at this resort and it was one of the best vacations ever , the beach is gorgeous and the hotel is a wonderful combination.

The day we checked out as well at 10am the staff was so courteous to tel us we could go to the beach and gave us access to freshen up at the gym when we were finished so we spent the day at the beach and had a good time , I commend the staff and this is a must visit place to visit if you can, the only downside is that good food is limited and eating places are far apart as Marco island it a dead end but it's all worth the trip.

Stayed July 2014
Moorings
Edgewater Beach Hotel
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#13 of 59 in Naples

Been to Marriott's Crystal Shores? Share your experiences!