“Nice Property, Excellent Amenities, Overpriced Food”

JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We had a problem with our next-door neighbor (loud children and a father who could not stop screaming). The staff moved us quickly and helped with the move. You couldn't ask for better customer service.
The room was very well appointed and had all the things you expect in an excellent room. The balcony overlooked the pool and the beach and we enjoyed the room (even though we got 2 queens instead of a king). The bed was the only bad thing. It was not very comfortable and both my wife and I woke with back issues.
The Illy Cafe on the lobby floor was where we went for breakfast every day, and it was quite good. We enjoyed it a great deal. But the rest of the food venues were, in my humble opinion, grossly overpriced for what they delivered.
One very nice thing, particularly for a beach resort, is the fact that there is a guest laundry with new machines that works fabulously. Overall a very good visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, better views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank DeWitt65101
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is beautiful - right on the beach , service is excellent, 2 pools with drinks and snacks poolside, 7 restaurants. We went on a catamaran trip to an uninhabited island for shelling and saw manatees and dolphins up close- this excursion is booked through the hotel. Had a great time - good vacation for kids.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank M D
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Was here for a conference this past week. Had to bring my 13 y.o. daughter. Didn't think there would be much to do as my memory from quite a few years ago was Marco being a quiet area. The resort was beautiful. Well-maintained. Parking across the street was convenient although somewhat crowded if you get in late. My daughter was pulling her suitcase across the road when one of the valet attendants walked up behind us and took it from her and escorted us up to the entrance. He was super friendly regaling us with his story about his move to Florida. It was a great first impression. Check-in was quick and easy. The room was spacious enough and the beds very comfy with individual reading lights on either side of the bed. We had a partial view of the ocean and were able to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. My daughter loved the larger of the two pools as the small one was for the younger kids...she said. She could have played at the arcade as well but chose not to. A nice size gym was available with enough equipment. Soft, white sand greeted us at the beach. The water was warm and inviting. Birds, fish, and tons of shells for the collector. Some of the shells were inhabited so we had to return them to their natural habitat. We witnessed gorgeous sunsets! Staff was very friendly. A couple of negatives. The first night we were there the smell on the beach was ugh! And the price of food on property was a bit high. We also went to a Chinese restaurant off-property and the food was pretty pricey. But the smell on the beach wasn't noticeable on the second day and the Chinese food was quite good! We would stay here again but probably travel to Naples for our eating pleasure and entertainment although I can't really comment on the entertainment at the hotel or on the island as I primarily wanted to relax after a day filled with seminars. My daughter loved it so four thumbs up!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrene F
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Brian and Annie at the grill were amazing servers! Could have chatted with them all night. There are 8 restaurants on site. Hotel was cozy and staff was professional but found an empty water bottle under our bed and a beef jerky bag half eaten in the fridge. Also the bathrooms were extremely small. Safe did not work. Found a HUGE clump of hair floating around the pool almost as if someone's hair extensions fell out and took a swim! The water slide closes at 5. We had a very disappointed boy who didn't get to ride it. There are Rentals for water sports, Several shops on site. Great beach for shells. There is also a Nightly show on beach. The beach was powder white sand but closer to the water there are broken shells so wear flip flops or water shoes. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. We will certainly be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Absolutely wonderful place. We're Marriott loyalists, so our standards tend to be pretty high, and this property did not disappoint. Helpful and warm staff, from the front desk and valets to the bartenders and restaurant staffers. Great location with easy access directly to the beach. There were a lot of people there, but it never felt super crowded. We were told that they are going to be closing to renovate and turn this property into a JW Marriott, and we can't wait to go back. Marco Island is a gem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at Marco Island Marriott in July of 2014 for 8 days with two kids. Overall, it was a nice experience.
- We had a double room and it was very spacious. We had a partial ocean view. It is nice that most rooms have this view. The room was VERY clean and this is the most important to me. The beds are comfortable and the linens are soft. Unfortunately they don't provide the robes. There is also a mini fridge in the room, which helps when you travel with kids.
- The two pools are nice and clean. I loved that they had two pools where one was more kid friendly, so that I did not have to worry about kids being too loud around families with no kids.
- I was impressed that they had gluten-free options at all of their restaurants! At breakfast, they made me gluten-free pancakes, I had their gluten-free pizza, and they carry gluten-free breads for their sandwiches and burgers. Their gluten-free pizza was excellent. They also have gluten-free muffins at the coffee shop. I give them 5 stars for that!!
- I went to the spa to get my hair done and the service was good (although I asked them for a cup of coffee and I did not get it). The spa is not too pricey like some other resorts can be.
- They have free wireless and they give you free umbrellas and chairs at the beach. The beach is BEAUTIFUL.
There are a few things that this resort can improve on:
- They have this unusual system for towels at the pool. You receive a card per person when you check in and you can redeem this card for two towels at the pool or beach. You get the card back when you return your towels. If you don't return them, you cannot get more towels OR they charge you $25 upon checkout. This becomes such an inconvenience for guests.
- Their pool bathrooms are not kept clean during the day.
- Their service is not very consistent. Some people were so nice and helpful, but some were so rude. The lady that checked us in was very cold, and the boys that work at the beach are not very helpful. We left $5 for the lady that cleaned our room on a note asking if she can bring us an iron for our room (we had an ironing board but no iron). She took the money and did not bring the iron. However, we also had some staff that were very helpful. It is just hit or miss with the staff.
- Also, I was not happy that when we went on a boat excursion to look for dolphins and shelling (departs from the hotel beach), we were charged for our nine month old son. I did not even realize it until we reviewed the bill later.
- Lastly, they do not have service at the activity pool and their pool slide closes and service at the beach stops at 5 PM.
Overall, we had a good time. I think we will be coming back here. It's a family friendly, clean resort in a great, quite location. I recommend this resort to families with young children.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Maja35805
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We only stayed for 2 nights as we were traveling on. But enough time to form the opinion that this is a great family resort. The hotel seems to cater for all groups large and small. The rooms are large and clean - we had a partial view of the sea from the balcony. The 4 cafe/restaurants on site have quite a variety of food. Although restaurants away from the resort are cheaper, we were quite happy to stay in the resort. The poolside does get rather crowded, and if you prefer the wonderful beach to sit on, costs are extra for beach chairs.
A free gift was mentioned at check-in, this turned out to be tied to a tour of the hotels' time-share properties, be warned. I'm surprised a family hotel has this hard sell in the lobby.
All in all a decent place to stay, although not cheap, a good resort and worth a look.

Room Tip: If booking a partial view, get one on 4th floor and above.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dirleton
Joanne T, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I am very pleased to read all of your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Marco Island Marriott, thank you. I was rather surprised to hear about the "hard sell" in the lobby by the Marriott Vacation Club and I will be sharing this with their management to ensure that this does not occur again. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marco Island
North Naples
The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 in Marco Island

Been to JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!