“Want to go back”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cheshire, England
“Want to go back”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed on the 12th floor on Sunday 25th May for 4 nights.
We really didn't want to leave. From being greeted by 'Brian' at reception it was a lovely stay and highly recommend the hotel. I told Brian I had driven from Orlando - first time ever driving in America and he remembered this information during our stay. Impressive when he must see a number of people. We were also greeted by our Surname - the Valet had radioed to inform him before we arrived - impressive!

Even the valet who brought up our bags went out of his way and brought us a couple of newspapers, my husband loves reading American newspapers so that was a little touch which goes a long way.

We walked into our room and had the most perfect view of the beach and sea.
The room is lovely, kitchen is very handy, bedroom had a door which we closed at night & we had the most wonderful sleep it was lovely... so peaceful no sound from neighbours like you get in most hotel rooms. In fact normally due to jetlag we take a few days before we can sleep until 6am but we had difficulty in waking! The bathroom is amazing and everything is extremely clean.

They had a complimentary BBQ on our first night for Memorial Day, being a vegetarian I still managed to find something to eat and we had a lovely evening. We did rush out to make the most of our evening that night, put all our money etc in the safe then forgot to lock it and left it wide open! The hotel is one of the few we have been to recently that still does a ‘turndown service’ so the maid had been in our room closed the wardrobe door (where the safe is) and everything was fine. Obviously very trust worthy staff.

The beach and staff are all really nice, if Marco beach was closer to England we would visit all the time, but next time we are in Florida we will make sure we visit again we enjoyed it that much.

A perfect stay, it really does remind me of how hotels used to be run. With check out at noon, a turndown service, complimentary beach chairs/Umbrellas, a complimentary BBQ it really is a credit to whoever manages the hotel. WELL DONE!

Room Tip: All rooms are sea facing
1 Thank AmAstley
Jennifer N, Front Office Manager at Marco Beach Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are always sad to see our guests go as well, but look forward to you coming back to visit us again. We appreciate your kind words and will pass on your compliments to our staff, especially Brian. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
atlanta, georgia, usa
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel was awesome.... The room was great! The room had a kitchenette, so was able to purchase drinks/food at grocery store for snacks. Beach service was good and chairs available throughout the day. I wanta go back! Would be a wonderful place to bring my children to.

1 Thank briteteeth
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your great getaway! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your room, the beach service and that you wish to come back with the family. We look forward to your return.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I were at Marco Beach Ocean Resort for a wedding at the resort. We very happy with the choice. The rooms were great with a kitchenette and nice sized living room. The bathroom was also wonderful size. My husband and I could get ready at the same time with no hassle. The pool, pool bar, beach and beach bar were perfection. Pricey but that is to be expected. They do have good deals with beer buckets and 2 for 1 happy hour drinks. The hotel is also very conveniently located near quite a few restaurants and shops. If you have car then its only a short drive to the grocery store. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Marco Island. It is not 5 star but it's a strong 4.

Room Tip: The breakfast at Sal de Pepe is TOO DIE FOR! It is expensive though. I would skip the buffet tho!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your compliments and recommendation. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the wedding and the accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have three kids including two very little ones (2 and under 1 year old at that time) that go to bed very early, so we opted to splurge and pay more money for a 2 bedroom suite so that husband and I wouldn't be forced to have lights out at 8pm. My first gripe is check-in. We arrived a bit earlier than their usual check-in. I think it was like 11:30am. When I went to check in, I was informed that the room wasn't ready yet but that they would check to see if the room had been occupied the night before - it was the beginning of a weekend so that was doubtful - and in any case, make sure it is cleaned right away. I told them I have three kids including 2 under 2 and if they could just let me know, because I really want to get their stuff (milk, etc) situated and not having running amok in the lobby, etc. Basically, they told me to go to lunch and they'd call me. Fine, no problem. Well, my issue is that hours pass and I never get a call, so I head back to the hotel thinking that they must have forgotten to call. I get there and it's like the twilight zone and I'm having the conversation all over again as if I didn't have the same conversation 3 hours before, the only difference is that now we are past the time of their check-in. They tell me the same nonsense about checking to see if the room had been occupied the night before(didn't they already do that?) but that housekeeping had not gone by this room yet. So not only did they did not give priority to this room that had people waiting for it, but apparently they left it for dead last. I heard them radioing housekeeping and it was obvious they did absolutely nothing in the 3 hours I was gone. I told that the front desk that it was annoying that I have small kids waiting all and killing time all around this island when they had promised to give this room housekeeping priority since I got there early. The front desk person reminded me that check-in wasn't until 3pm, to which I reminded her it was 3:30pm so now they were officially late as opposed to just inconsiderate. I heard her speaking to her manager about the situation and he looked up the room and apparently since I was a sucker and apparently booked and paid the full price on the 2 bedroom suite, they didn't offer any time of compensation or goodwill gesture for the nuisance. I'm not ever sure they said sorry. When we get to the room, it was obvious that it had not even been occupied the night before because housekeeping had not been there since they arrived after we were already in there to make sure the bathrooms had towels etc. My second issue was that the sliding door on the balcony did not actually close and had about 1 inch gap. It was late at night when I noticed so I wasn't going to call maintenance but it really did not feel safe to have a sliding glass door open to a balcony with small children around. My third annoyance was booking a reservation at the hotel restaurant. I spoke to some concierge lady and I requested an outdoor table during the sunset. She looks up the time for the sunset but tells me that there are not outdoor tables ready. I tell her that I have small kids and I really don't want them annoying people by being in a stuffy indoor restaurant. She assures that it is not formal and won't be an issue. She also assures that we can just go outside for the sunset and come back in. Okay, first problem, she was totally wrong about the sunset - by the time we got from our room to the restaurant it was totally over. Second, there were plenty of outdoor tables. I get to the hostess and I mention my desire for an outdoor table. She tells me that she can give me an outdoor table if I want but my children will not be a problem within the inside restaurant. Since the sunset was over and it was just hot out, I was convinced to just try it inside. As we are walking to our table, some old crotchety man from the table next to us gets up just as we are sitting down and he tells me that my kids are adorable but he's glad he's leaving as we are getting there. Now, mind you, we hadn't even sat down so my kids didn't even have a chance to get obnoxious. I know that the hostess and concierge woman have no control over what a grouchy patron says, but it was just annoying that I had expressed this exact concern to both of them and they both seemed to be under a huge misimpression that the restaurant is some kind of family restaurant. It wasn't. So we requested to be seated outside and it was fine for the kids. I actually have to say that the food was phenomenal and the staff was very nice. They were a little slow and the kids were getting tired, so we asked for part of our meal to go and they kindly added in a complimentary dessert. Also, the pool is just ridiculous. My kids don't need a water park but that pool was dingier than any backyard pool I've been in. Completely unacceptable for a hotel with the word resort in the name. Also, I found it annoying that they don't have vending machines so when I wanted bottled water at midnight...I had to call the front desk who then had to open the gift shop to sell me bottled water. Just stupid. I understand why you don't keep the gift shop open 24 hours a day, but really you should provide a vending machine in that case. I did like the room, but I think I just liked the fact that it had two bedrooms which I paid for up the nose so I'm not sure this is really about the hotel as much as square footage.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Loughlliy
Jennifer N, Front Office Manager at Marco Beach Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your detailed review and for your feedback. I see that your stay with us was in September, 2013. I regret that you had an unpleasant resort experience however I do wish that you had spoken with a manager directly who would have made every effort to resolve the issues that occurred. I see that you were told check in time was at 3:00pm, I apologize for the inaccuracy as hotel check in is not until 4:00 pm and we do not guarantee rooms before that. We will use your feedback as a training tool in the future. In regards to the balcony, the doors do close fully however they are double sliding doors so both need to be completely shut on each side to avoid a gap. I understand that this can be frustrating and feel unsafe so I apologize that you were not made aware of this by the bellman who helped you to your suite. Although I will not go into each detail of your review, please know that we do take our guests feedback very seriously and your comments are addressed within the management team on a daily basis.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 31 May 2014

There was nothing exceptional about this resort. We got room 908, while it was pretty high and center, it still had the parking garage blocking the beach view. Beach attendants were slow and unfriendly (sat there for over an hour before anyone asked me if I wanted a drink). I purchased a spa service which was supposed to come with a complimentary upgrade of a scalp massage, but it did not and I didn't say anything because we were leaving the next day and I had other things to attend to.
The food was just so-so and we arrived at an off-time and there was only food available at the beach bar. The "beach bar" is a few hundred feet from the beach and surrounded by concrete and florida plants and does not feel, nor look anything like a beach. We walked over next door to the Marriott and what a difference! We were actually greeted by all the staff and the atmosphere was completely different and there was an unblocked view of the beach while we had lunch and drinks at Quinns.
The rooms were adequate (we stayed in a King, full ocean view) but the bed was horribly uncomfortable. It sagged in the middle and felt like cardboard. Also, it must have been the room above us because when you walked in the door, you could smell cigarette smoke just in one certain spot below the air filter.
Next time I would choose the Marriott.

7 Thank JudgeTravel
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please know that your comments were addressed and that we continue to strive for excellence to ensure all of our guests have a memorable experience with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
TheDocsGirl
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This property is just not our style. We've always stayed at the Marriott on Marco Island until recently when it has become absolutely over-run with conferences. Looking for something different with more to offer, we thought we'd try the Marco Ocean Beach Resort.

The one bedroom suites are very small, with very large pieces of furnitures stuffed in them. There is a huge piece housing the TV that has no usable drawer space and a 5? drawer dresser inside the tiny closet, behind the closet door...hard to get to. The beds are extremely uncomfortable in my opinion, rock hard. The kitchen is small, but functional..not for large meal making. The balcony was nice.

Check in was cold and indifferent. Nothing exceptional about any of the staff. Housekeeping failed to note the filthy washcloth they had folded up for my husband to use in the shower and the furniture was not well taken care of, or up to date.

The pool is on the small side. We encountered no pool/bar service. Most resorts have a server making the rounds at the pool, we saw no one in the few days we were there.

The restaurant on property was very good. The food was excellent, and different, a higher caliber than most places on Marco.

I read a bunch of reviews suggesting this resort is on par with a Ritz Carlton. To suggest something like that is damaging to the Ritz Carlton name. They aren't even close. But I really don't think they are trying to be.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheDocsGirl
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any staff member who did not provide you with exceptional service and that the suite you stayed in was not to your personal preference. I see that your visit to our resort was in July, 2013. Please know that your comments were addressed and we continue to strive for excellence to ensure all of our guests have a memorable experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marco Island
Moorings
Edgewater Beach Hotel
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#13 of 59 in Naples

Been to Marco Beach Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!