“The best tour guide on Marco Island”

Florida Backcountry Adventures
Ranked #7 of 85 Tours in Marco Island
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a professional family friendly company that offers educational boat tours, kayak tours, shelling, hiking and photography eco-tours around Marco Island, the Ten Thousand Islands and the Everglades. More people choose us because we're experts at finding unique plants and animals in their natural habitats. All adventures are private, personalized and scheduled according to wildlife behavior and seasonal patterns for maximum enjoyment. See dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, alligators, birds, rare orchids and more. Advanced reservations are highly recommended. Open since 2001. Captain Alex Saputo owner/operator.
Sparta, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best tour guide on Marco Island”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Captain Alex Saputo took our family of four, two adults and two teenage girls, on a boat tour through the 10,000 Islands. He was very friendly, professional and very knowledgeable about the area and its wildlife. Coming from Michigan and not having the ability to see much of the sea life that exists down in Florida, our family was focused on finding dolphins, manatees, and sea turtles. Alex was able to bring us to areas that had an abundance of each. We even encountered a manatee within minutes of pushing off from the dock. Alex spotted it and shut off the engine so we could all get a good look at it. The manatee swam right under the boat!

We then went out to an area known to have a lot of turtles. We were able to get great views of many turtles. One even swam towards us! They were very hard to spot but Alex was able to point many out as they popped their heads up for air.

Next were the dolphins, where, again, Alex was able to provide an amazing show. Captain Saputo noticed the dolphins were acting more playful than normal and drove the boat at just the right speed to where the dolphins jumped out of the boat’s wake. We were able to get great pictures and videos.

Finally Alex brought us to an area where the manatees like to hang out. This took a little more work to find but Alex was successful of course. We spotted four manatees. We watched as their noses broke the surface of the Gulf, taking in a breath of air, and submerging again.

We highly recommend Captain Alex Saputo as your tour guide. The price is well worth the show. The entire family had a great time.

Visited October 2013
Alex S, Owner at Florida Backcountry Adventures, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thanks for your incredible review! I'm humbled by your title. We had an amazing trip and you're family was so fun to work with. Looking forward to another adventure in the near future!

Marco Island, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best Adventure Ever!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Captain Alex's "River of Grass" kayak trip was truly amazing. As we paddled through the estuary he led us through tunneled mangroves that then opened into multiple secluded lakes. Only he could know how to find these lakes as they were well hidden through the tunnels. My son (5) loved the adventure and experience of helping Alex "discover" such lakes. During the trip he also guided us to a sand bar where we were able get out of the kayaks and swim in the clear water. The highlight was when he spotted a manatee and positioned us so that it would swim right next to our kayak. We would definitely book with Captain Alex again as he was extremely knowledgeable and able to offer us a truly remarkable experience.

Visited July 2013
I'm so glad you had a great adventure! Sometimes keeping kids engaged while kayaking can be a challenge. I love being creative and using stories of secret lakes and hidden treasure to keep them engaged. Thanks for making him my paddle partner in the tandem. That manatee was a huge bonus plus the sandbar. Looking forward to another paddle in the near future!
Naples, Florida, United States
“Natural World Photography Calendar 2013”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The photography drew me in! I have booked an adventure for August with Captain Alex, for my mom and visiting sister and brother! I am so excited to see the amazing Florida wildlife and visit 10,000 islands! One day I will take the adventure to "Alligator Lake" , a mystery spot that only Capt. Alex can guide us to! He knows the Florida Backcountry and the precious treasures it holds! I am so looking forward to the new 2014 calendar!

Visited August 2012
I'm so glad you got "drawn in" by the photos. I greatly appreciate your positive comments. Nothing is more satisfying then when you work really hard at something and your recognized. Thanks again! Our trip in August was great! The wildlife was abundant. The weather was perfect. And your brother and sister were so fun to work with. I'm looking forward to some adventurous trips this winter, especially to alligator lake!
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“ghost orchid hike”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

What an amazing day. Buggy , but Alex had plenty of netting for everyone! When we arrived at the orchid site the bugs were gone enabling us to enjoy our lunch before the hike back. We learned so much about native plants and birds along the way! Even saw many panther prints in the mud. A hearty hike, you don't have to be terribly experienced, but it would help. A great trip for adult friends!!!

Visited August 2012
Thanks for your review! I'm so glad you came on this adventure. This is one of the most difficult trips mentally because of the heat and bugs. It was amazing that the bugs disappeared once we made it to the flower! Looking forward to more adventures with you in the near future!
Rochester, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Should be the #1 attraction on Marco!!!!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have been going out on the water with Captain Alex (a fellow Michigan native) for at least 8 or 9 years now. Whenever we are in Marco we make sure to book at least one trip out for a day shelling, seeing dolphins and other Florida wildlife and just enjoying the beauty of the ten thousand islands. My (now grown) daughters have learned so much about the Florida wildlife and environment from Alex.

Whenever we have friends or family visiting and ask them what they want to do they all say they want to go out with Captain Alex. In fact one group of our friends changed their upcoming trip to Florida from Anna Maria Island (where they have been going for years) to Marco after having a really fun day on the water with Captain Alex.

This spring we had a perfect day of adventures. On our way out we found ourselves in the middle of a huge group of dolphins that were playing and jumping and mating and feeding. Whatever way you turned there were dolphins. There must have been 40 or 50 dolphins! It was a sight I will never forget. We followed this with a perfect day of shelling (found some very rare shells including a perfect Junonia) followed by a trip around the islands were we had dolphins following the boat for miles and doing some amazing acrobatic jumps putting on quite the show for us. On our way back in Alex suggested a quick "drive by" of an area where he often sees Loggerhead turtles (BIG!) and we came upon a pair of them mating. What a treat to see this. The photos from this day are added to the many others we have from other trips with Alex. He never disappoints. He always seems to have a contingency plan... If one type of animal is not in the area he has another one that we can go looking for. He has taken us to see sting rays that were 6' across, bald eagles, huge white pelicans that are only in the area for a short time, sea turtles, sharks... and of course the beloved dolphins.

A totally different day with Alex can be spent hiking in the Everglades. My husband, daughters and about 8 of their friends spent a day seeing so much in the Everglades. They had photos of rare flowers and beautiful scenery, birds and animals. They came back tired but excited about all they had the good fortune to see and do.

I think you can see that I highly suggest a day spent with Captain Alex. He is a down-to-earth, friendly and caring man that I feel very confident will show you a day you will not soon forget. Get your shell bags and sunscreen ready and give him a call.

Visited April 2013
What can I say. That was an incredible review. Thank you. We've had so many incredible adventures. I am so honored to have had the opportunity to introduce your family and friends to the animals and area I love so much. Looking forward to our next adventure!