“Great Vegan Meal off the Menu and Great Service”
Review of Cafe de Marco

Cafe de Marco
Ranked #16 of 121 Restaurants in Marco Island
Price range: US$15 - US$37
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in the northern most point of Old Marco is Cafe de Marco. An intimate bistro/cafe serving the most diverse selection of fresh seafood & other continental specialties since 1983. A favorite amongst locals & seasonal return visitors to Marco Island. Reservations are greatly appreciated. Olde Florida atmosphere in the historic district of Olde Marco. Perfect for an outstanding meal, business, or special occasion. Vast wine selection and beer available. Twilight specials and children's menu available. Owned and operated by same owner & family since starting out in 1983. Our building enjoys a rich piece of Marco history. The Cafe's building was the original quarters for the chamber maids employed by the historic Old Marco Inn just a few yards away. Many years ago the Inn functioned as a "bed & breakfast", and the maids would simply walk to work from our building. This explains the answer to a frequently asked question..."Was this an old house at one time?" Today, step inside to what has been transformed into an islander's tradition for over 30 years. We look forward to serving you soon! ~Sandy Franchino, Owner
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Found this restaurant with a recommendation from hotel staff while on vacation. Sandy the owner is a gracious host who make the rounds to ensure that everything is fine, without overstaying her welcome. Scott, our waiter, was one of the best we have had in a long time.

We ordered the vegan pasta dish off the menu, which was not your typical pasta primavera, and were blown away by how good it was and the portion size.

Would definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Cafe de Marco

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Jennifer was a great waitress and the seafood was well prepared and tasty. If they have the amaretto gelato definitely get it. Be prepared for a small historical house; not a typical cafe or restaurant. If you are staying at a hotel nearby, ask your concierge to set up free transportation to and from the restaurant.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Where do I start? Our waitress was AMAZING! Throughout our dining experience she was so nice and helpful; she even gave us a magazine about the island.
As for the food, well, terrible. If I closed my eyes I would not know what I was eating (turns out it was stuffed grouper with crab). My family members ordered ahi tuna, crab cakes and the captains player. The crab cakes tasted old and when the waitress saw it wasn't being eaten the manager came out and said "the chef said the crab was fine" needless to say, poor customer service. I could keep going but I would rather sum this up with saying we were all sick that very night and into the following day; everyone except the person who sent their food back.
Lastly, even if the food was terrible I would have felt better if the managers did not have such an attitude. I did not feel welcome at all. The hotel recommended this restaurant and assured us it was casual dining. Since we were the only ones sat on the collapsing porch (yes our table was leaning with the porch) we felt uncomfortable.
I would NEVER recommend Cafe De Marco to anyone.

5  Thank Abby L
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Old decor, a weird smell and heavy feeling. Food heavy and not as fresh as possible. Capraese salad had grocery tomatoes in chuncks, no basil,roasted peppers and a dressing that tasted bottled. Clams oregano had more bread crumbs than anything else. Not worth the time or money

2  Thank mike w
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Okay so this is a pricey place. Still, you get what you pay for. If you are ready to splurge or celebrate a momentous occasion, then Cafe de Marco is a great place for seafood.

It is in the "Olde Marco Island Village" area of Marco Island. Not too hard to find, but it is off the main drag.

The interior was kind of 70's or 80's. It could stand an update. Still, it was very clean, and for a seafood restaurant, it didn't have any fishy smell (ala Red Lobsters).

The food was stupendous! I had the Captain's Broiled Platter ($31). The platter had lobster, shrimp, scallops, fish, oyster rockefeller and clams casino. I was somewhat worried that it would all taste the same since it was all broiled, but that was not the case. Each item had its own unique -- delicious -- taste. Very pleased with my choice.

My wife ordered the Maryland Crab Cakes. Very generous serving with three large crabcakes with a homemade aioli. We both got scalloped potatoes and green beans. Both were excellent. The house salad was good also. Plenty to eat on both plates.

Even so, we couldn't resist desert. I had the Italian Ricotta Cheesecake which was the REAL DEAL. We are talking perfectly baked cheesecake. Awesome! My wife had the Tortoni Cake which she loved as well. We topped it off with a Black Muscat dessert wine. Nice finishing touch.

BTW, our 6 year old son had a chicken fingers plate which he devoured. That was a good sign since he is quite picky. The wait staff went out of their way to pay attention to him and to please him.

The total bill was an appropriate $126 including very generous tip. Given all that we had -- and enjoyed -- spot on.