“What a surprise!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Warren, Ohio
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Went here based on the prior reviews and they were right on target. The decor is bad, cheap lace tablecloths on the tables and outdated drapes on the big picture window, but the food is awesome!!! Such innovative offerings that were delicious and sooo reasonably priced. We were welcomed the instant we hit the door and catered to by all during our dinner.
I would highly recommend!! This is definitely one of those gems that are a great find when on vacation.

Visited August 2013

Philadelphia, PA
“Very enjoyable evening!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My only regret about the Island Café is that we did not discover it until our last evening on the island! I had yellow snapper that had arrived fresh from Key West, and it was perfectly prepared by the chef. Add to that the August special of an included appetizer and dessert (both delicious) and a reasonably priced wine list, and one might think that it cannot get any better. But, the welcoming staff was what made our evening so much fun. Bill (the owner) and Stephanie provided excellent service. As the evening wound down, the fun really began when Bill asked for musical requests and the patrons from the only other table (three delightful British visitors) requested mariachi music. I will leave the rest to your imagination. I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation!

• Visited August 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
“What a great find on Marco Island!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We took a family vacation on Marco Island during the second week in August. We made a reservation at the Island Cafe for Saturday night. The restaurant is situated in a basic little (really little!) shopping center with a pizza joint and a cupcake bakery, and didn't look like much from the curb. We were happy to see the summer special (buy your entree - and your appetizer and dessert were included!) so we all had three course dinners for anywhere from $18 to $29. Everything was wonderful. One of my daughters is allergic to shrimp, so she stays away from anything that swims. She had the Chicken Piccata and loved it. She also had the goat cheese and onion tart as her appetizer and the creme brulee for her dessert - and loved them even more! She is our "picky" eater, and very outspoken, so her really enjoying a meal is very special ;) We all loved our dinners so much, that the Island Cafe was the only place we went to twice during our stay. We chose it for our last night of vacation too, and this time took friends we met at our condos with us. So between our two dinners there, we pretty much tried everything on the summer special menu. No one left anything on their plate, at all, either evening! And no matter who ordered what, fish, chicken, steak, jambalaya, shrimp, scallops, whatever - it was all cooked perfectly and flavored wonderfully.

I had the spinach salad the first night, followed by the shrimp and scallops. They were all delectable. I wanted to order that again the second time, but I had taken a taste of my younger daughter's baked crepe with aspargus, mushrooms, tomatoes and swiss that first night, and I really wanted my own. It was so good! Then I ventured out to the Grouper topped with crab meat and a lemon butter sauce for my entree on the second dinner. It was just as good as the shrimp and scallops, which is amazing to me since shrimp and scallops are my two very favorite foods in that order. And the Creme Brulee? It is the best I have ever tasted, and I usually order it when ever I am anywhere that has it on the menu.

The service was great. We had the same waiter both nights and he was wry and funny and attentive and a pleasure. It isn't a big place, and there was another female server who was also very pleasant and friendly. They appeared to help each other out so that every table got all their food around the same time while it was still the perfect serving temperature.

I would recommend this restaurant to any one at any time! And for those of you lucky enough to read this review and visit Marco Island before August 31 when the Summer Special rates are over - well rush right on in because you are in for a great experience for an amazing price!

• Visited August 2013
Trinidad
“nice view”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The view from island cafe is perfect...the pina colada is the best I ever had. The food tastes great and service is good. I can recommend the stewed chicken. You also have a nice view of the sunset sitting at the tables at water's edge.

• Visited June 2013
Maidstone
“Excellent food - great value”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

If your main interest when eating in a restaurant is the quality of the food on your plate and value for money you will love Island Cafe. The service is friendly but we felt the general ambiance left something to be desired.
The restaurant itself is situated on the edge of a relatively modern shopping precinct that gives the impression that it is suffering hard times. The dining room is modern and cavernous with a rather scruffy outside dining area. In fairness decorations were in hand when we visited so hopefully this will make it feel a bit more cosy. The quality of the cuisine and the enthusiasm of the staff deserve better surroundings.

• Visited April 2013