“worst service ever”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Fat Pelican Fine Wines & Dscnt
Reviewed 3 January 2008

My family and I have been part time residents of Marco Island, FL for the past 15 years. We love the island and all the wide range of restaurants it has to offer. We love to eat seafood and sushi is one of our favorite dinning experiences. This is why we decided to make reservations at the Fat Pelican (sushi bar) for dinner.
It was after the Christmas holidays and we decided to eat out for sushi. I made a reservation for 5 at 8pm. We arrived at 7:40pm for our reservation. Since we were early, we sat at the bar to have a pre-dinner drink. At around 8:15pm, I went to check on our reservation and acquire about when we might get seated. The manager/hostess/owner rudely told me that we would get the dirty table once they got around to cleaning it and we should just wait. So we waited.
Once we were seated, we were told that we would have to wait because the sushi was backed up. This is understandable if you have ever gone out for sushi. It takes a while sometimes. We were find with this due to the fact we were just enjoying our time out as a family. The problem was the waiter never came to take our drink order until we looked around and had to flag someone down. Once he got our drink order, he filled it quickly but then he never came back for our food order. We had to flag him down again. We waited an hour and a half for our food only to have the wrong order brought to our table. I went to talk to the waiter who was just standing at the bar doing nothing. He came over and checked the sushi rolls he brought us then told me that they ran out of rice and that was all we were getting. This is not the worst part. The table next to us never received any of their food and were told have waiting 2 hours, they were not going to receive any food due to the fact there was no rice. This was horrible because it was already 10pm and they had waited for a table and received nothing. They were also charged for the food they order but after a long talk with the owner the bill was taken care of.
We talked to them about our experience and noticed that we too were charged for food we had not received. This resulted in us having to talk to the manager. The manager was the rude hostesses. She explained that she is the only sushi restaurant on the island and we were lucky to be able to get sushi on the island. I understood but we had reservations, we ordered, and waited for food that they were unable to make. The manager just never did anything to compensate for the lack of food or long wait and bad service we received.
It was a horrible experience. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

18  Thank mjb2706

Reviewed 1 May 2007

On a week long trip to Marco, we hit all the popular restaurants mentioned on this site, however our favorite dining experience for the week was at th "Fat Pelican" which I don't believe is mentioned here. We enjoyed it so much that we went back a second night for our last dinner. We had the sushi/sashimi platter, as well as all the pelican rolls and the dragon. Beautifully presented, extremely fresh, with interesting sauces. Save room for dessert & try the deep fried cheesecake. Oh my goodness, was that to DIE for. Great service, and good wine selection too. Prices were about the same as here in Chicago. Frankly it was the only meal we had that was totally worth the money.

3  Thank mich711