“Dissapointing”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I last went to this restaurant approximately a year ago and if I had written a review about the menu and food then it would be the opposite of what I am writing now.

The pub is very pleasant looking and quite smart inside but that is where it stops. The menu has changed but that's not a problem and we ordered mains. I ordered a pulled beef chilli with nachos and rice I had three other people with me we had to wait approximately 45 minutes for the food which indicated two possibilities to me. 1) They are cooking the meals fresh or 2) An out of control kitchen.

When the food arrived it was basically inedible, the nachos looked like they had a sweaty texture as if they had been re-heated a number of times and when I bit into one it was soft. The rice was watery and tasteless, the chilli was completely inedible.

I am convinced the staff are aware of the poor quality of their food as they did not check to see how our meal was and when they collected the dishes they didn't ask how the meal was then.

If any body from the restaurant reads this. "The meal was disgusting"

1  Thank AFCWBEN

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Have eaten here many times but not for a couple of months .
Ate here last night ,waited 50 mins for mediocre food and a sirloin steak that was so tough it was It was not edible . I complained and to be fair the manager refunded the steak meal . The brewery in Ashtead is a much better pub/ restaurant .

2  Thank Jane C
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very disappointing as the pub is great, the bar staff were cheerful but all was let down by the absolutely horrendous food. I had the Sunday Roast chicken my friend had Sunday roast beef. For a start mine was a chicken leg no breast, the potatoes had been cooked and frozen as they were soggy in the middle and tasteless, carrots had turned to jelly and were water logged, tasteless & these were cold and really were horrible. Green beans were rubbery & stringy also luke warm, Yorkshire pudding defied eating as it was chewy. The chicken smelt of musty feet, dry rubbery and inedible. My friend roast beef wasn’t much better. I left virtually all my meal and my friend left well over ½ hers. The waitress collected the plates and didn’t make any comment at all about us leaving so much. I did notice that although i nice place it as virtually empty at 1pm on a sunny Sunday lunchtime & the few that were there were not eating. I don’t like giving negative reviews i always try to find something positive but at the Woodman i couldn’t find anything nice to say about the food. All in all i would avoid, there are plenty of good pubs around that offer ½ decent food, this isn’t one of them

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I visited this pub 2 months ago, it was busy, great atmosphere and really good food. On a second visit, more recently the food was not up to the same standard, the staff were rude, to put it mildly and there seemed to be a lack of good management. It is a shame as it used to be a good pub - I won't be going back and I'm local!

2  Thank 190Sjw
Reviewed 3 April 2014

For Ashtead, there really isn't much of a selection of places to eat unless you venture into Cobham, Esher or Weybridge or Guildford. So it is particularly heart breaking to see a pub that used to serve up reasonable food, go down hill to a very poor standard of food and lately, service.

FOOD - This is our local pub and just across the road from our house. Recently refurbished, it certainly looks the part! The dishes listed on the menu look promising with more Gastropub options such as "slow roasted belly of pork and braised Beef short ribs" on offer. The delivery however is very poor! Often overcooked to dry pieces of shoe sole overcooked meats, the salads lack flavour and the roasts at the weekend are again overcooked with fibrous meat and watery gravy. If you stick to the burgers or pork ribs and main stream pub grub such as fish and chips, then these are less likely to be cooked badly and are generally ok. The pub is trying to market to the more adventurous clientele but they need to ensure they can deliver everything on the menu. - at the moment, they clearly can not.

SERVICE - The manager that was there last year has moved a few months back to another pub owned by Ember Inns and you can certainly see the affect. In particular, the service at lunch times and weekends now are very slow. Average wait is 45 minutes. The waitresses often have conversations at the bar about their weekend and what they plan to do that day rather than monitoring the tables to ensure their customers have all they need. Quite often, we would have to get up to ask for drinks or the bill. Quite often you will be told that options on the menu are not available after the food is served (lack of communication from kitchen to waitress i assume). Eg) i ordered the Beef because i loved the two Yorkshire puddings it came with, when the meal was served, the yorkshires were missing as they had ran out.They apologised, but the chef didn't notify the waitresses.
The pub certainly lacks leadership and management from the head off right down to the waitresses and the chef. I really want this place to pull its socks up, so wrote in to the head office. I was directed back to the restaurant manager who said she was doing the best she could in the circumstances she is in.

2  Thank Karendsouza