“Very Slow Service, Rude Staff”
Review of Zia Vitalia

Zia Vitalia
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Ashtead
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I wouldn't even give this restaurant a 1*. We visited at 19.30 on a Saturday evening. It was a treat for my youngest daughter's 10th birthday. From the minute we walked in the owner thought he would be funny and mention her doing the washing up. OK the first time is amusing to a degree, at least 5 mentions thereafter wears a bit thin. We waited 30 mins for our starters. Calamari was chewy. Antipasti consisted of 3 slices of salami, 3 slices of mozzarella, a mountain of lettuce, 2(!) olives and no dressing. Bruschetta was 3 slices of french bread with just chopped tomato on top. We were given a basket of French bread slices but no butter or olive oil. Main courses took an absolute age to arrive. We had been in the restaurant 90 minutes at this stage. Pizzas were ok, nothing special. The pasta dish was flavoured well but the pasta was very al dente. The lamb cutlets were grey (I ordered medium/well), veg was carrot, potato, beans & 1 chunk of red pepper which I think had accidentally made it's way onto the plate.
I think our order had been forgotten but the waiter (owner?) was adamant it hadn't and that it was our fault that we hadn't flagged the long wait and then proceeded to tell us that we hadn't actually waited for that length of time and that it was our youngest daughter's fault for taking so long with her starter!
After some discussion, they waived the bill however it does not alter the fact that we were told everything was our fault and that our daughter's birthday meal was memorable for all the wrong reasons. We will not be returning.

1  Thank Clare223

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I can't rate this small restaurant highly enough. Having returned early because of bad weather from a trip to Lyme Regis for my husband's birthday, we managed to get a table for two at Zia Vitalia's at the last minute. The food as usual was excellent, the service was terrific (although the place was packed out) and it was a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have rated this restaurant very good, but I got close to giving it excellent.

We have eaten here three times in the last few months, once just the two of us and twice with other couples, and have between us tasted a fair range of dishes from the set menu, a la carte or specials (we have not had a pizza so can not comment on that).

The food has been consistently very good. In particular the fish we had (both dover sole and plaice) was excellent. Each time it was offered grilled or in a white wine and lemon sauce and views differed on the latter – I thought it had too much lemon and my wife thought too little, so they probably judged it right for most! The brushetta was probably the best I have had anywhere. With the pasta dishes we had there were generous amounts of seafood or chicken. In general the portions were of a size that left us feeling satisfied but not bloated.

Everything is priced competitively and the set menu (from memory not available Friday or Saturday evening) is excellent value.

The service was excellent on two of the three occasions we have eaten there. It was a little slow on the third occasion but that was on a mid-week evening when it was surprisingly crowded including two fairly large parties.

The wine list is all Italian and the wines we have tasted were all at least OK, but none was exciting. One good feature is that there are (I think) six wines available by the glass – two different sizes.

Two practical things to note.

Firstly the restaurant is in the centre of Ashtead and not in the back streets of Leatherhead as it appears to be on the map on Trip Advisor.

Secondly the website you find if you google the restaurant is redundant. It contains very little information (e.g. no menu) and what it does say (apart from the phone number) should not be relied on – it says it is open in the evenings seven days a week and not at all at lunchtime, when in fact it is open both lunch and evening every day except Mondays and Sunday eveining.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Had a superb family meal on Easter Sunday. Even the pizza was made into an Easter bunny :-) highly
recommended by all of us

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We visited our friends that lives in Leatherhead. We all agreed to have a dinner outside and decided to have an Italian ,so our friend recommend Zia Vitalia Restaurant. We went there and the restaurant is full we didn't thought of calling the restaurant earlier for reservation. I don't like too crowded restaurant but our friend convinced us to try and ask the waiter if there's any table for us.There's one table leaving and the waiter ask us politely if it's alright for us to wait a little bit so they can set up and we all agreed. The atmosphere was great, you can see the staff were very attentive and friendly. Most of all the food was great I ordered food from the Specials they were really "special", we all love the food and thank God that i stayed. I loved Italian food and I've been in so many Italian Restaurant but Zia Vitalia is the best, there's so many homemade desserts to choose the one i ordered was the Tiramisu (which is to die for). The price at first i thought is expensive but when i tried the food is so worth it. I wish I lived around here, I will so miss this restaurant!:-) And to mention the Chef went out from the kitchen to greet the customers which is very nice. We really enjoyed the night, no wonder why you have lots of customers. Kudos to Team Zia Vitalia!