“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Olive Tree
Ranked #13 of 23 Restaurants in Ashtead
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Enjoy a relaxing coffee and cake with friends, a full breakfast, light (or hearty!) lunch, traditional Italian pizza and delicious Sunday Roast with us at The Olive Tree. For a special treat, or gift idea, try our Afternoon Tea - a selection of sandwiches, mini cakes and award-winning scones with jam and clotted cream all with a nice pot of tea, or a glass of sparkling Prosecco. Special set menus are often available for events like St Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Christmas.
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I sometimes have lunch here with a friend and normally it is very good; however, our visit within the last week was very disappointing. It was very busy and, sorry to say, the staff were overwhelmed - this was on a Monday lunchtime, so hardly likely to be the busiest day of the week. There was quite a queue and we waited about 10 mins to place our order, a toasted panini and a baked potato - these took half an hour to arrive, obviously we had queried the delay in the meantime. My baked potato with bacon and brie was also disappointing, 2 slices of very well done {ie, hard} bacon, I had difficulty eating it - not very much brie. Unfortunately, I think the place is a victim of its own success, more staff and faster cooking are urgently needed.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Jean F
AshteadPark, Admin Assistant at The Olive Tree, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent visit to us as much as you usually do. You are, of course, right we are a victim of our own success as the reputation of The Olive Tree Cafe is growing fast. This is why we have applied for and are delighted to say have received planning permission to extend the restaurant area.

We do hope we will visit us again in the future.

Surrey, United Kingdom
“Great for gluten free”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is a great place for relaxing after browsing around the garden centre, or just for a treat. The café is situated close to Epsom Downs and does a nice selection of gluten free cakes, with I was pleased to find, sandwiches too. The choice of hot food though could be better, being limited to the somewhat predictable jacket spuds.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

My first visit to this restaurant was last week for the purposes of a business breakfast meeting with around 40 others. The breakfast was superb and I will definitely be going again very soon.

A hidden gem in Ashtead!

Visited December 2013
UK
“A regular coffee, breakfast or lunch treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We started going here years ago to buy plants etc but over the years there have been new owners that have really made it somewhere for locals (such as ourselves) to relax and enjoy.
The Olive Restaurant is by far their greatest asset along with their plants. When we take our dog for a walk it is nice to know we can pop in and sit outside and have coffee before walking home again.
My daughter likes to come with me and bring her baby who at the moment is memorized by their Christmas Wonderland and Santa's Grotto.
Food excellent, Latte's superb, breakfast great and lunch very good indeed. Should you go at lunchtime try their homemade soups or if you are just having a Latte a slice of one of their homemade cakes. Prices as you would expect nowadays.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Lindyloo1
Surrey
“Lovely atmosphere and the food is great too”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I live not far from the Garden Centre and I find it so well stocked that I tend to gravitate towards it whenever I have some time to browse. The treat is to then eat at the Olive Tree. Especially on a sunny day as there are tables outside too. The menu caters for all and also has gluten free and dairy free choices which means I often bring my mum here as she is intollerent to both. There are also a great selection of cakes and the coffee is good. My husband is quite taken with the scones and jam tea!

• Visited May 2013