Bay Eden Arms Hotel
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant(Bishop Auckland)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$69
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Pool
Travelocity
Travelodge Sedgefield(Stockton-on-Tees)
TripAdvisor
All reviewseden armsentertainment every nightswimming poolnational holidaysbus passhalf boardcoach tripevery eveningentertainment roomold coaching innno liftsmall gymleisure facilitiesrailway museumdouble glazingshort breakfirst floor
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just returned from 4 night stay with Shearings. We decided to upgrade to a superior and was very pleased with the room, all modern furniture and very large room and bathroom. All of the hotel was very clean. The only downside was the food and service. There wasn't enough staff on for a coach party (why don't they put more staff on when coach parties are going) and apart from Brett, who was always pleasant, the others seemed to not want to be there. Also, compared to other hotels we have stayed (at similar prices) the food was
limited. Even though there was fruit on the breakfast menu there was never any put out and when someone commented on this the staff said you had to ask! It was only the grapefruit and prunes which is usually standard at these types of hotel! The evening meals were not much better apart from one night when we thought maybe they had changed the chef. The actual trip was great due to Mark, our driver, who made this holiday as he never rushed anyone and got us back to the hotel by 4pm giving everyone plenty of time to get ready for evening meal.

Room Tip: superior room if you can afford it
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pauline B
KarenTattersall, General Manager at Bay Eden Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review Pauline. I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with certain aspects of your stay and I can only apologise for this.
The staff in the restaurant work very hard to get everyone served as quick as possible whilst also trying to retain a relaxed dining experience. The fruit, prunes and grapefruit are available as the menu states and are freshly served to the guest at the table when requested. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review I do hope you enjoy further breaks with Bay Hotels in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay on a Shearings holiday at the Eden Arms Hotel. Whilst the hotel was clean and our room quite comfortable, we did find that staffing at the hotel seemed to be of the absolute minimum. After unpacking and settling in our room we decided to try the TV following the instructions printed on a card. This did not work so I rang reception. A lady came to the room, obviously very rushed, pressed a few buttons randomly on the 2 remotes and got it to work. When we went for dinner, it was very obvious that the staff were under a lot of pressure and clearly could not cope with the amount of guests they had to serve and unfortunately this made us feel a little uncomfortable when asking for anything. Only once, which was on our last evening were we asked if our meal was alright and that was by Brett who I have to say was polite and friendly. The food was not great, but acceptable, it was just that you felt you should not have been there. The entertainment was very good. Certainly Mark our driver for Shearings certainly made up for the unfriendliness at the hotel and the trips were brilliant.
Whilst there were a couple of staff who were friendly I feel that a Customer Service course was called for and staffing levels improved.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Sue H

Thank you Sue for taking the time to post your review, we had the instructions printed out onto cards to try and make it easier for guests to work the TVs and digital boxes. As you can see from previous reviews our staff always receive very positive comments, I am concerned that you felt they were unfriendly as this is not the case. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel, and it was such a very comfortable place to stay.

Room whilst quite snug was clean and well serviced and had a bath with grab rail in which I find gives me ease of mind whilst I am showering due to a few mobility problems!!

Staff at table , reception and bar were very hard working, and very pleasant at all times making our break here really lovely.

Food menu gave plenty of choice and was plentiful and well cooked, nicely presented and hardly
any wait at all.

The icing on the cake though was the pool and jaccuzzi behind the reception area, and my only regret was that I did not use it a couple more times.

This hotel is a little gem amid a very historic area and certainly lived up to my expectations and where I would love to revisit.

Room Tip: I chose a lower floor if you have trouble with stairs!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jaqueline W
KarenTattersall, General Manager at Bay Eden Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you Jacqueline for taking the time to post such a lovely review ,It is always good to receive positive feedback from our guests. I am pleased to hear that you felt we provided comfortable accommodation, good food and excellent service and as you say the icing on the cake is the leisure facilities.I will certainly pass on your comments to all the team who I know will be thrilled to hear them.
Thank you again for your lovely review we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Eden Arms in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We went on a three night break with National Holidays. Upon arrival at the Eden Arms hotel (which is just off a large roundabout) we were handed our room key by the friendly receptionist. Our room was number 34 which was upstairs (there is no lift). The room was clean but the floorboards creaked a lot (the room is built over an archway). The only complaint we had was that the mattress was very hard, I have slept on softer floors! The brewing facilities were just acceptable with only four milks, tea bags etc. The food was good however and with my wife being celiac our waitress Julia had everything sorted out for her (we did notify the hotel when we booked). Nothing was to much trouble and all the staff were helpful and friendly. My wife used the pools on offer and was delighted with them. All in all it is a nice place to stay and is surrounded by countryside which we enjoyed in the evening before going in for the entertainment which wasn't bad.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 41HighPeak

Thank you for taking the time to post your review 41HighPeak. I am sorry to hear that you felt your mattress was very hard, we do try to provide comfortable accommodation for our guests and I am sorry this seems not to be the case in this instance. When requested we do provide extra tea, coffee and milk from Reception. We do try to accommodate any dietary requirements were possible and I am pleased to hear that Julia provided you with everything you and your wife needed during your stay, Julia was also thrilled that she as been mentioned personally. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back here at The Eden Arms in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here on National Holidays 4 day trip. Found the hotel was certainly good enough. Not paying top money you cannot expect perfection. Food quality and choice suited me. Small pool, Gym, Sauna and hot tub (towels provided). were never busy, we made good use of them every day. We think our holiday was good value. Staff were friendly and worked hard to please. Room was cleaned, bed made every day, they did a good job.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bikeriderneil

Thank you bikeriderneil for your review, we do try to provide comfortable accommodation, good food and value for money breaks I am pleased to hear that we did so. The leisure facilities are an added bonus and I am pleased to hear that you made full use of them. The staff will be thrilled to hear that all their hard work and efforts have been appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Eden Arms in the future.