“New Years Break”

Bay Eden Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rushyford
Reviewed 18 January 2014

New Years break with Shearings. The reception and bar areas are lovely, very clean and welcoming. I had a single room, a bit dated but had everything I needed, including a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine...lovely:)

All of the staff are a credit to the hotel, they are hard working, polite and friendly. Our meals were great, a really varied menu that catered for all tastes, breakfast was particularly good and served by our friendly waiter Brett, he always had a smile on his face. Compliments to the hard working chefs too for all of their hard work.

As the saying goes

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time"

I was very pleased!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sheern
gm_dur, General Manager at Bay Eden Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your kind comments which I will personally pass on to all the staff who’s hard work and commitment make the Eden Arms what it is today.

We aim to provide exceptional value and quality within our comfortable Hotel and Spa throughout the year.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My first coach holiday with Shearings found me at this hotel earlier this week. The first impression upon entering was the friendliness and efficiency of the receptionist coupled with the strong smell of chlorine in the entrance, which persisted during the stay.The Eden suite is very nice but the bed, which is unusual in that the mattress is surrounded by a wooden frame which makes getting both in and out quite difficult, is quite comfortable, and very quiet.Additional power points would be helpful.The meals were nice but full English breakfast was always served on plates which were not very warm and hence the food followed suit.
All the Staff encountered were very friendly, efficient and very hard worked. Entertainment over 4 nights ranged from brilliant to poorish but this did not concern me too much as entertainment in hotels is not one of my pressing needs.Reasonable value for money but not the best Bay hotel I have encountered.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank edwardp463
gm_dur, General Manager at Bay Eden Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for letter and I would like to take the time to offer you a response.
I read your initial views on the quality of our full English breakfast with some regret.
Cold plates should not be sent out of the kitchen and we apologise that you found this to be the case.
I would like to offer my assurance that this appears to have been a rare oversight and should you stay with us again, it won’t be repeated.
We are sure that you’ll be pleased to hear that we remain on top of issues associated with a very old building with an ongoing successful maintenance programme.
To this end I’m sure that on your return visit you’ll find that any maintenance faults initially observed duly rectified.
Thanks again for your comments and are glad that despite the problems you encountered, it did not spoil your break and we would love to see you back here in the near future

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a three night new year break at the Eden arms at Rushyford and had a fabulous time
the Hotel was quite old but in very good condition considering it's age. our room was excellent.
The facilities excellent, Entertainment for the three nights could not have been better and the Staff was all so very friendly & helpfull
Once there our car was parrked up for the duration and we used the service bus to go to Durham as the bus stop was within 2 minutes walk from the Hotel
Well done Shearings

2  Thank Peter B
gm_dur, General Manager at Bay Eden Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Here at the Eden Arms we pride ourselves on great food, comfortable relaxing surroundings and a range of entertainment to suit all tastes.
Thank you for your comments on our staff, you can be sure that I will pass these on personally.
We all look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went here with National Holidays.
It was brilliant from arrival to leaving, very organised and helpful.
Food was lovely and the waitress were lovely. Food was piping hot and delivered to the table with speed and a smile.
Cannot comment on entertainment as it was not our cup of tea.
Our room was perfect, clean and very spacious (room 18)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TraceyEllis-Moat

It’s very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and in particular your comments on our food. Our menus are going down a storm with all our guests, both old and new and we’re looking forward to build on this, and strive to make your experiences more enjoyable each time you book.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you return, hopefully in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Rushyford, Durham DL17 OLL

My friend and I had a very pleasant 3 nights 4 days stay at The Bay Eden Arms Hotel near Durham, courtesy of Shearings holidays on the 13th to the 16th December.
The building dates back to the 17th-century when it was a coaching inn, and the location, just eight miles from the historic city centre of Durham, is the ideal place to relax and unwind and to explore the great north east. To be fair we set of with some trepidation because one or two reviews were a tad negative and to the surprise of myself and my friend we found it difficult to fault this hotel on any aspect.

The food was very good and like some other Shearings hotels you can, if you wish, go off the regular set menu and order from a supplement menu for a extra charge which we did on the first night, I have to say that this meal was as good as you would get at the majority of a 4 star restaurant, so our compliments to the chef. The food overall was extremely good. I would also like to state that Bret who works in the restaurant is a very pleasant, polite and well mannered young man who was always at hand to help in any way, as were the rest of the restaurant staff. Even the housekeeping staff asked if there was anything we needed.

We had two single rooms which were both pleasant and comfortable with flat screen TV and adequate tea and coffee making facilities. A very pleasant spacious bathroom with shower over bath, clean fluffy towels and plenty of hot water.

The reception staff were very welcoming and on day 2 they instantly supplied a couple of very efficient room heaters as my friend and I suffer from the cold due to medical problems so all was well. The lounge, bar and restaurant area were adequately heated with plenty of comfortable seating and a large TV in the bar and a pool table.

As an extra bonus the hotel facilities also boast a decent size indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room at no extra charge, extra towels are provided at reception before entering the pool area.

There will always be people who look for and find fault with a place wherever they stay. It is no good finding fault and moaning about it if you have not sort help from the staff of a establishment to correct the fault. No one gets it right 100 percent of the time but Shearings get it right most of the time. We must remember that we get what we pay for, with this hotel we think we got more than we paid for.

I have stayed at many Shearings hotels over the years and in my opinion this one is a little gem for the money. My friend and I both agree the three night four day break was an absolute bargain. I will definitely return to The Eden Arms and I recommend this hostelry as a bargain break hotel for anyone. You can find the price for all this on the Shearings holiday web site.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room then ask for it to be changed, don't just moan and put up with i...
2  Thank BrunoLancashireUK

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My friend and I spent Christmas at the Eden and we had one of the most comfortable relaxing breaks ever!. We could not criticise if we tried. The staff were great, always pleasant and nothing too much trouble. Food was great with plenty of variety to suit all tastes. Served promptly with no long delays between courses.
Our room was spacious, airy and spotless. Slept like a top during the entire stay.
We thoroughly enjoyed our morning swims in the heated pool, followed by a relaxing spell in the jacuzzi. They were open all through the holiday. The pool has very convenient opening times which allowed us to swim AND go out for the day.
Evening entertainment was exceptionally good and just got better. Joel was fantastic and really should have been performing in the West End! Though it was our good fortune that he performed for us at the Eden.
Everything just went like clockwork. Something tells me we will be returning next year!

Room Tip: Didn't visit any of the other rooms so can't compare.
1  Thank Fifer65
gm_dur, General Manager at Bay Eden Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for your kind comments which I will personally pass on to all the staff whose hard work and commitment make the Eden Arms what it is today.
I will also be passing on your comments to Joel who will be particularly pleased with the feedback. Our dedicated entertainment team always put on a fantastic show 7 days a week and all are welcome to join in the fun, non residents included.
We all look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Arrived on 23/12/2013 for a 4 night break over Xmas. Check in was painless and very pleasant. Our rooms were Nos 2 and 3. We didn't know what to expect as never stayed here before, the food on all four days/nights was excellent. Special mention should be made for Brett and Beatrice in the restaurant for excellent service with a smile and cheery banter. All of the restaurant staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. Craig showed us to our rooms and took cases and held doors open for us, he's a great guy. The first night I didn't sleep too well but put that down to first night in a strange bed, the second night (Xmas Eve) I didn't sleep we'll either. I decided the mattress was the problem and mentioned this to Marilyn (Head of Housekeeping) after breakfast on Xmas morning, she took ownership of the problem and had the mattress replaced within 30 minutes- problem solved, slept great after that. Entertainment provided was very good, coffee and cookies or mince pies every afternoon at 3 pm. We felt it was so good that we have already booked for next Xmas, Laurie (hotel Manager) gave us the keys to go look round a superior room, which we did, and so we have booked a superior room for next year. All in all a great Xmas experience with great people.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bozzybear

Thank you for your comments and we’re so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted that you found our hotel to be first class.
The staff mentioned in your review were over the moon when they saw their name on Trip Advisor.
All the staff work incredibly hard, but when they are singled out for public praise it really does go a long way.
It was nice to have met you this Christmas and we all look forward to inviting you back with a smile in Christmas 2014.

Laurie Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rushyford
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
The Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Bay Eden Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!