“To drink, to eat but not to sleep.”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Missenden
The Red Lion
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Delightfully quaint pub in super location, (no car park) parking on country lane. Good real ale, Betty stogs, Addlestone cider.Obviously well attended by friendly locals.We enjoyed our main course then went in search of staff. When we eventually found someone we were told the kitchen was closed and no pudding was available. (it had turned 9pm)disappointed no staff member had been to check, whilst we were eating.

Our twin bedded room was quite comfortable,clean but not pristine, bedding and towels well laundered. one bedside table was a small fridge, hospitality tray very basic (teabags and a little jar of coffee). The bedroom was over the bar and front entrance so noise did travel easily to the bedroom. As we drifting off to sleep the moving of furniture and activity below our room kept us awake. At 2 am people were heard leaving the pub and the staff retired to bed, again disturbing us with noise on the wooden stairs. (We found out in the morning they had been decorating the bar!!!).

We understood from conversation that only the staff appear to live on the premises, not the owner or manager. The staff were friendly but not geared up to provide B and B accomodation. There was a no frills English breakfast, no fruit juice and one cup of tea - no other choice.

A great place to eat and drink, but whilst it was extremely economical £60 for one night,I wouldn't choose to stay B and B again.(perhaps we were just unlucky).

Room Tip: Check you are not over the front door or bar if you are staying.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nanjizal123

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Visited this pub recently with the family, lovely setting, pity about the staff! After my 7 year old lost his food and drink on the floor due to an outside table coming apart, the waitress brought another dinner only to say the chef was "not Happy"! When I spoke to the chef to see why, he said the kids were not behaving!! When I asked him to come outside and have a look at the table, he declined and said "you've got your free food, I haven't got time"!!!! I had already paid for the meal when I ordered! He didn't have a clue! RUDE STAFF!! Will not go back there again.

Room Tip: Test your table before you sit down!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We're based just south of Manchester and always struggle to find good value food and accommodation further South. This was a gem of a find! My husband and his work partner needed value for money and a friendly place to stay whilst working in the area last week. They tell me the food was amazing, the landlord's company great and the friendliness of the locals second to none. The pub itself is in a beautiful scenic position with a river at the back of the beer garden. They thoroughly enjoyed their stay and we will definitely visit again and recommend it to friends and family. He presented me with the cost of 3 nights accommodation and food and I was pleasantly surprised, which makes a change when they're working down South.

Room Tip: Don't expect luxury in the living quarters - the rooms are basic but when you get such a friendl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I visited the Red Lion with friends for my pre birthday celebration. It was absolutely great. We visit periodically and always love it. It has a lovely warm ambience and it is like stepping back in time. The staff are friendly, the food was fantastic, delightfully served and very well presented. I couldn't wish for anything better.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This little pub is an absolute gem. A few meters off the main road you will find the Red Lion. The pub is warm and friendly but the food is the really special thing! The meat pie is delicious as is the crumble! Great home cooked food, full of flavour and very generous portions. Great value for money and well worth a visit!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Rthomas38
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night but would love to have stayed longer. Staff so friendly but be careful of landlord! Stay up for a late one and he buys you a drink!! Rooms were really clean and bed very comfy. Tea and coffee making avaible in rooms and ensuite. Lovely area with ducks and chickens roaming free outside. Also lovely garden with bridge over river at back. Lovely fresh produce for breakfast and plenty of tea and coffee too. I cant wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Nice setting in the village of Little Missenden beside the road. Staff changes frequently no chance to train them properly. Meals are all over priced for very mediocre quality. Ham served on a red hot plate!!!!! The owners just seem to sit back not at all friendly. This place has so much potential that with a little effort it could be great. I never stop for more than a single beer and I certainly never eat there anymore.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank honestom33

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!