“Funky Decor - Fab Food!”

Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Matlacha
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cape Coral, Florida
“Funky Decor - Fab Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I love discovering funky restaurants that serve good food! Sandy Hook fits that description perfectly.

I've been looking for a restaurant that has outstanding crab cakes, and while Sandy Hook serves up a good crab cake, I wouldn't call it outstanding. The fact that they offer crab cakes made 3 ways is interesting. I tried the Imperial Crab Cakes and thought that they were very good. I wasn't too sure at first, but then they grew on me. I'm looking forward to going back and trying a different style next time. I am a french fry junkie and thought that their fries could have used some salt on them when they came out of the fryer.

My husband had the ribs and didn't like the fact that they left the connective tissue on the backside. He enjoyed the ribs but says that he really prefers dry rub ribs and these are cooked with a sauce on them.

We started the meal with a cup of the Conch Chowder which was very, very good! I hadn't had conch chowder in a long time and I will definitely order that again! We finished the meal with Key Lime Pie which was velvety and had a subtle lime flavor that was different than other Key Lime pie that we've had before which are very "limey".

We enjoyed watching the birds flying back and forth from the big Australian Pine near the restaurant and seeing the Mullet jumping all over. The view is very nice and if you're lucky enough to get a window table it's great!

So far, this has been the one restaurant on the water that has good food. The others we have tried have had a nice water front location and views but the food has not been that good. We will definitely be returning to Sandy Hook!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Debbie H
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you so much for your write up. I promise we will try to keep up with the funk and fab!!

Cape Coral, Florida
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was our first experience at this restaurant. It has quite a "kitschy" atmosphere and is really worth a look around. The food is delicious and the service was great with a server that was knowledgeable and helpful. The food is prepared individually so there is no "fast food" feel to your meal. My husband had the haddock and I had a salad. The haddock was well cooked and my salad was humongous with a plentiful amount of shrimp. We were luckily sat at a window table and were able to watch the bird life and the beautiful views. This was one of the best places at which we ate. We try to find new local restaurants every year and this certainly was a great find. We will certainly eat here again when we return next winter.

• Visited April 2014
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We pride ourselves on making everything to order. While that may take us a little extra time, we really feel it makes a difference. We appreciate your review and hope that you will say hello next time you are in. I always like to meet my reviewers regardless of the review. Have a great day!
Fort Myers, Florida
“Will be back for more.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

The cracked conch is breaded and fried to tender perfection. The Key Lime Style mahi mahi is very tasty. The combo of toppings go very well together and don't over power the taste of the fish. The Hook, a seafood platter of shrimp, scallops and fish is broiled in herb butter. The service was very good too. We were fortunate to get a window seat overlooking the bay. And the beer is very cold!

• Visited March 2014
We appreciate the review and will have a cold beer waiting her for you upon your return!
Fort Myers, Florida
“tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This dining experience was very good. The food was very good, and plentiful. The conch soup is very spicy so if you are not good with hot foods, don't order it. I had the chicken alfredo and the taste was wonderful.. very cheesy. I just wish it had been hotter...it was just lukewarm. The service was very good and the view from the windows was so pretty..it added to the experience. I would definitely go back.

• Visited March 2014
Thank you Maryteresa. Our Alfredo sauce is homemade with lots of parmesan. It is my favorite Alfredo around. If you ever get food that is not as hot as it should be, let us know right away. I can always put it back in the saute pan to heat it up. As a side note, it is not on the menu, but I usually put half clam and half conch chowder together. It tones down the spice in the conch while adding some kick to the clam. I learned to adjust my spices a lot when I was pregnant. This became one of my go to items. Make sure you say hello next time you are in. I would love to say hi!
illinois
“Good food, reasonable prices, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had the fried shrimp and the crab cakes. They were both fresh and delicious. We also sat by the window and saw dolphins playing in the water. We also saw pelicans, white ibis, herons and other water birds.
The wait staff was friendly and efficient.

They also have a good early bird dinner menu, but you have to get there before 5:30pm.

• Visited March 2014
We appreciate your time in reviewing Sandy Hook. Hopefully we will see you again.