“Mother's Day treat”

Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Matlacha
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Punta Gorda
“Mother's Day treat”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Have eaten at Sandy Hook several times, mostly on special occasions such as birthdays. Today was Mother's Day, so we decided this was the place to be. My mother is 94 and loves seafood, but my father HATES seafood and is a die-hard meat eater. (I had taken them here once before and my father did not like the prime rib... I thought it was fabulous though). Well, the wait was actually quite short even though they were fairly busy this day. The staff were friendly and attentive. Hot, homemade bread arrives with choice of butter or margarine. The entrees were the oh-so-infamous- Puttin' On The Ritz (whitefish with a delicious Ritz cracker topping), pecan-crusted salmon, and a rack of barbequed ribs. My father admitted the ribs were good and cleaned his plate. My mother's salmon, however, was a bit dry and overcooked, though the taste was good... she rated it a 7 on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being horrid). So, a bit better than average. The "Ritzy fish" was wonderful, as usual. We passed on dessert as just too stuffed! Afterwards, went out behind the restaurant with many other diners and tossed food to the waiting seagulls. A nice, relaxing Mother's Day! This is still one of my favorite places to go... great ambiance (waterfront and gitchy-cool nautical themed decor), good food, and great service.

• Visited May 2014
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for spending your Mother's Day with us. A special thank you to all of the staff (especially the mom's) who come in to spend the day with you. We are all blessed to have such wonderful customers and employees.

“Waterfront Dining”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to drop by for dinner on Friday the 25th. I had the imperial crab cakes and some oysters. He had haddock and oysters. Both meals were very delicious. The crab cakes were VERY good. I think they have the best oysters in Lee County. I always come back for them.

We ordered the loaded baked potato. They were good too. Usually when you order those, they aren't so loaded, but these were quite tasty.

We sat by the window and enjoyed a beautiful view of the water.

Staff was courteous and service was good. Prices are reasonable. I really liked the young ladies who were cleaning the tables. They worked with such a rhythm and kept the place constantly clean. The decor was interesting and appealing.

We were blessed to be there when they rang the bell and made an announcement of a couple who had been married for 65 years. A rare moment at a special place.

Upon leaving, there were three young girls having fun outside. At first they startled me and I responded to them how pretty they were. They returned the compliment and said they liked my earrings. They one young lady started speaking Spanish and asked me if I could. I told her no but she kept trying to say something in Spanish and it was too funny. She was trying to say I have a turtle in my pants. They looked like they belonged there but they made my night. Very kind and just funny.

I am so glad you had a wonderful time and I always love celebrating all the anniversaries and birthdays. I remember back in the day when we would celebrate by taking their picture with a polaroid camera. Kind of miss that thing.
Cape Coral, Florida
“Funky Decor - Fab Food!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I love discovering funky restaurants that serve good food! Sandy Hook fits that description perfectly.

I've been looking for a restaurant that has outstanding crab cakes, and while Sandy Hook serves up a good crab cake, I wouldn't call it outstanding. The fact that they offer crab cakes made 3 ways is interesting. I tried the Imperial Crab Cakes and thought that they were very good. I wasn't too sure at first, but then they grew on me. I'm looking forward to going back and trying a different style next time. I am a french fry junkie and thought that their fries could have used some salt on them when they came out of the fryer.

My husband had the ribs and didn't like the fact that they left the connective tissue on the backside. He enjoyed the ribs but says that he really prefers dry rub ribs and these are cooked with a sauce on them.

We started the meal with a cup of the Conch Chowder which was very, very good! I hadn't had conch chowder in a long time and I will definitely order that again! We finished the meal with Key Lime Pie which was velvety and had a subtle lime flavor that was different than other Key Lime pie that we've had before which are very "limey".

We enjoyed watching the birds flying back and forth from the big Australian Pine near the restaurant and seeing the Mullet jumping all over. The view is very nice and if you're lucky enough to get a window table it's great!

So far, this has been the one restaurant on the water that has good food. The others we have tried have had a nice water front location and views but the food has not been that good. We will definitely be returning to Sandy Hook!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Debbie H
Thank you so much for your write up. I promise we will try to keep up with the funk and fab!!
Cape Coral, Florida
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was our first experience at this restaurant. It has quite a "kitschy" atmosphere and is really worth a look around. The food is delicious and the service was great with a server that was knowledgeable and helpful. The food is prepared individually so there is no "fast food" feel to your meal. My husband had the haddock and I had a salad. The haddock was well cooked and my salad was humongous with a plentiful amount of shrimp. We were luckily sat at a window table and were able to watch the bird life and the beautiful views. This was one of the best places at which we ate. We try to find new local restaurants every year and this certainly was a great find. We will certainly eat here again when we return next winter.

• Visited April 2014
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We pride ourselves on making everything to order. While that may take us a little extra time, we really feel it makes a difference. We appreciate your review and hope that you will say hello next time you are in. I always like to meet my reviewers regardless of the review. Have a great day!
Fort Myers, Florida
“Will be back for more.”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The cracked conch is breaded and fried to tender perfection. The Key Lime Style mahi mahi is very tasty. The combo of toppings go very well together and don't over power the taste of the fish. The Hook, a seafood platter of shrimp, scallops and fish is broiled in herb butter. The service was very good too. We were fortunate to get a window seat overlooking the bay. And the beer is very cold!

• Visited March 2014
We appreciate the review and will have a cold beer waiting her for you upon your return!