AAAACCCKKKK!!!! I'm in rating-dilemma limbo. Allow me to explain: We chose this hotel for a 5-day vacaton. Truth be told, my niece wanted to stay in Cocoa Beach to take advantage of their gorgeous beach & to learn how to surf. As I checked out Cocoa Beach hotels/resorts nothing jumped out as being 'just right'. I picked the Crowne Plaza knowing it's at the top of the Holiday Inn brand, generally has high ratings, we could get an ocean-front suite & I knew it would be easy to get to Cocoa Beach.
We arrive & first impressions are stellar! Everyone warmly greeted us & were friendly throughout our stay. Check-in was easy, parking was a breeze, in minutes, we're in our suite, with smiles from ear to ear as we realize we've scored! The ocean-front room is highlighted with a wrap-around deck that provided magnificent views, two separate areas with tables & chairs for plenty of outside lounging alternatives, a spacious & comfy bedroom with king-size bed, desk, flat panel tv, a small chair with a foot rest & sliding glass doors onto the deck. The other room, let's call it a living room, had a small bar area with a microwave, sink, under-counter fridge, coffee maker, & plenty of storage. There was a sleeper sofa, another flat panel tv, desk, & a couple more chairs & side tables along with another set of sliding glass doors to reach the balcony.
Sounding really good, right? Well, so far I'm on board with a 5-star rating, but....here's the list that changes the story:
The bathroom - its too small & poorly organized. There is practically no counter storage. The make-up mirror is mounted on the wall & you bang into it with your elbow when you brush your teeth or use your arms for anything. There's no bathroom fan, which means the mirror fogs up & stays that way until you crack the bathroom door open to get some ventilation going. The water pressure varied between just fine and barely a dribble. The spout the water comes out of in the tub was nearly falling off the wall. More on that later.
The small bar area in the living room had plenty of storage but for what? Nothing is provided other than what you find in a typical hotel room. Since you've got a sink & extra storage, how about a sponge, some dishwashing soap, maybe some basic utensils? And how about a decent one-cup coffee maker with real cream & not the cheap crappy coffee they provided in-room with fake powdered cream?
Fixing problems - the 3rd night we were there, there was a huge thunderstorm & WiFi quit working. I pick up the bedroom phone to let them know. The phone doesn't work. I figure the phones must be VOIP, & don't work for the same reason WiFi isn't working. The next morning, still no WiFi so I try the phone in the living room & it works. I'm assured the phone will be fixed that day, along with the bathroom problems I'd mentioned earlier. Two days later when we check out, the phone still doesn't work, the spout is still practically falling off the wall & water pressure is as spotty as ever.
Now, let's go back to the parking situation & the incident that really did sour my impression of this place. Our last night in the hotel was Valentine's Day. After a great day on the beach, we chose to leave around 7 pm to go out to dinner. Big mistake! We had a great dinner & arrived back at the hotel around 10 pm. We'd done more shopping so we also had a few heavy bags to haul in. There is absolutely no place to park. We pull up to the portico & are greeted by the most frazzled-looking bellman you can imagine. He's very apologetic, explains the hotel is completely booked for their annual Valentine's Day getaway promotion & tells me the best bet is to park across the highway. That would be across a 4-lane highway with cars whizzing by. Then he points to the walkway they have erected over the highway that I had never noticed. Keep in mind, it's dark, the parking lot across the street has no lights, & we're in no mood to walk up at least 4 flights of stairs to reach the over-highway walkway & then back down those flights with my young niece & all our stuff. At this point, the bellman says if we park there, he'll come & pick us up in the hotel shuttle but he can't commit to how long that will take. Finally after looking especially forlorn & downright frustrated, the bellman did point me to the 1 spot he had been saving (I guess for whomever did the best job of being absolutely annoyed by this situation & I fit the bill). We zipped into the spot, gave him a nice tip, gathered our items & headed back to our room.
So here's the deal - I fault management. When I called in the phone & bathroom problems, the person answering should have entered it in a system, & a mgr should be making sure all problems are resolved. Second, for the V-day parking hell, they need to have enough staff so they can shuttle people betwen their lots & not create a total inconvenience for their guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront Hotel is located on Florida's Space Coast within minutes of Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, Brevard Zoo, Washington Nationals Baseball, Port Canaveral, world class golf courses, and is just one hour from Orlando, Walt Disney World, Sea World and Universal Studios. Business travelers visiting Harris Corporation, Northrop Grumman, Intersil, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Rockwell Collins, Patrick Air Force Base or NASA will find Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront Hotel the perfect location to meet, relax and work with over 16,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, complimentary hotel shuttle service to and from the Melbourne International Airport and complimentary high speed Internet access throughout the hotel. Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront Hotel offers large selection of guest rooms ranging from standard rooms that overlook the courtyard to coastal rooms that look up and down the ocean to elegant oceanfront guest rooms and suite with private balconies. Enjoy a delicious meal at MARiSOL, our oceanfront restaurant, or a refreshing cocktail in Surfside Lounge, our oceanfront bar and deck. When evening comes, enjoy the warm ocean breezes while relaxing to live music on our one of a kind, 6000sq.ft. Ocean Deck, the best oceanfront deck in all of Brevard County. A popular spot for hotel guests to mingle with locals as the Crowne Plaza offers live entertainment on the oceanfront deck Thursday's, Friday’s and Saturday’s, March through August. Resort style amenities and most direct beach access of any Melbourne Beach hotel makes the Crowne Plaza Melbourne a popular choice. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront Florida