“Beautiful property but lacking in important ways”

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 2 March 2014

AAAACCCKKKK!!!! I'm in rating-dilemma limbo. Allow me to explain: We chose this hotel for a 5-day vacaton. Truth be told, my niece wanted to stay in Cocoa Beach to take advantage of their gorgeous beach & to learn how to surf. As I checked out Cocoa Beach hotels/resorts nothing jumped out as being 'just right'. I picked the Crowne Plaza knowing it's at the top of the Holiday Inn brand, generally has high ratings, we could get an ocean-front suite & I knew it would be easy to get to Cocoa Beach.

We arrive & first impressions are stellar! Everyone warmly greeted us & were friendly throughout our stay. Check-in was easy, parking was a breeze, in minutes, we're in our suite, with smiles from ear to ear as we realize we've scored! The ocean-front room is highlighted with a wrap-around deck that provided magnificent views, two separate areas with tables & chairs for plenty of outside lounging alternatives, a spacious & comfy bedroom with king-size bed, desk, flat panel tv, a small chair with a foot rest & sliding glass doors onto the deck. The other room, let's call it a living room, had a small bar area with a microwave, sink, under-counter fridge, coffee maker, & plenty of storage. There was a sleeper sofa, another flat panel tv, desk, & a couple more chairs & side tables along with another set of sliding glass doors to reach the balcony.

Sounding really good, right? Well, so far I'm on board with a 5-star rating, but....here's the list that changes the story:
The bathroom - its too small & poorly organized. There is practically no counter storage. The make-up mirror is mounted on the wall & you bang into it with your elbow when you brush your teeth or use your arms for anything. There's no bathroom fan, which means the mirror fogs up & stays that way until you crack the bathroom door open to get some ventilation going. The water pressure varied between just fine and barely a dribble. The spout the water comes out of in the tub was nearly falling off the wall. More on that later.

The small bar area in the living room had plenty of storage but for what? Nothing is provided other than what you find in a typical hotel room. Since you've got a sink & extra storage, how about a sponge, some dishwashing soap, maybe some basic utensils? And how about a decent one-cup coffee maker with real cream & not the cheap crappy coffee they provided in-room with fake powdered cream?

Fixing problems - the 3rd night we were there, there was a huge thunderstorm & WiFi quit working. I pick up the bedroom phone to let them know. The phone doesn't work. I figure the phones must be VOIP, & don't work for the same reason WiFi isn't working. The next morning, still no WiFi so I try the phone in the living room & it works. I'm assured the phone will be fixed that day, along with the bathroom problems I'd mentioned earlier. Two days later when we check out, the phone still doesn't work, the spout is still practically falling off the wall & water pressure is as spotty as ever.

Now, let's go back to the parking situation & the incident that really did sour my impression of this place. Our last night in the hotel was Valentine's Day. After a great day on the beach, we chose to leave around 7 pm to go out to dinner. Big mistake! We had a great dinner & arrived back at the hotel around 10 pm. We'd done more shopping so we also had a few heavy bags to haul in. There is absolutely no place to park. We pull up to the portico & are greeted by the most frazzled-looking bellman you can imagine. He's very apologetic, explains the hotel is completely booked for their annual Valentine's Day getaway promotion & tells me the best bet is to park across the highway. That would be across a 4-lane highway with cars whizzing by. Then he points to the walkway they have erected over the highway that I had never noticed. Keep in mind, it's dark, the parking lot across the street has no lights, & we're in no mood to walk up at least 4 flights of stairs to reach the over-highway walkway & then back down those flights with my young niece & all our stuff. At this point, the bellman says if we park there, he'll come & pick us up in the hotel shuttle but he can't commit to how long that will take. Finally after looking especially forlorn & downright frustrated, the bellman did point me to the 1 spot he had been saving (I guess for whomever did the best job of being absolutely annoyed by this situation & I fit the bill). We zipped into the spot, gave him a nice tip, gathered our items & headed back to our room.

So here's the deal - I fault management. When I called in the phone & bathroom problems, the person answering should have entered it in a system, & a mgr should be making sure all problems are resolved. Second, for the V-day parking hell, they need to have enough staff so they can shuttle people betwen their lots & not create a total inconvenience for their guests.

Room Tip: Be sure you say you want ocean front if that's what you want. Many rooms have an ocean view, bu...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leah S
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel. I am certainly disappointed your stay was not all that it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team.
It is feedback we receive from valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback and welcome the opportunity to improve.
I do hope you will chose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel 4/ 5 times over the years, alternating with the Hilton just up the road.
The CP is a good all round hotel, maybe not quite as good as the Hilton in terms of rooms ( although it does depend on where you are in the building). The breakfast/ bar/ deck area is nice, perfect for a beachside sunny start to the day. The beach could not be closer and if you dont like the sea, the pool is small but nice.
The staff are really good, some even recongnised me from previous visits.
The breakfast serving area is small and can get very congested at busy times, but sit out side and order from the menu its fine and the food is pretty good. The bar has bad accoustics so 2-3 noisey people can drown out everyone else, but when the weather is good there is some nice seating outside and in the evenings they have nice table burners out there if it gets chilly.
The rooms do vary, but asking for more space generally gets you a bigger room, the upper floors in both blocks have some sea views, some better thatn others and those directly facing the ocean go quickest obviously.
The immediate area does not have much in terms of shops/ eateries, but the shuttle will take you about 3/4 miles and pick up.
Recommend Coasters bar ( next to Walmart 1/2 mile north) and if you want a great night with laid back music and dancing Lou's Blues.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My hubby and I stayed here three days, extending our 5 week Florida vacation just a wee bit longer, trying to delay our travel home to the "frigid Northeast". This hotel was a good choice with an exceptionally friendly staff. Sally checked us in at the desk and went out of her way to show us a choice of rooms, explaining our "rewards amenities", golf options, etc., etc. As a rewards member we were invited to a reception with complimentary drinks and snacks in the lounge. (awesome spring rolls). Also, $3 off each meal at dinner because it was "happy hour" and oh yes... an immediate upgrade to an ocean front room because of our platinum membership. Very clean, comfortable, friendly and would definitely make a return visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlexHeart321
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We love when our guests have an absolutely fantastic time staying with us. We truly have an outstanding staff and we are very lucky that Sally is part of that staff. Thank you for mentioning Sally it really means a lot. We are thrilled you enjoyed all the hospitality and hotel amenities. Thank you for your feedback and choosing the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Nice room but starting to look a little tired. The staff was very friendly and accomodating and we enjoyed the inside/outside bar with the comfortable seating area. The only disappointment - though not the fault of the hotel - was all of the machinery on the beach redistributing the sand which made sitting on the beach impossible.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen C

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us and the hospitality of our staff. I hope you will visit us again, soon we will have entertainment on our ocean deck and beach services will be available (the state of Florida did finish the beach restoration project). Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

After a real disappointment at the Beach House Motel just a few miles south we were "rescued" by this nice place. They even picked us up with a shuttle van and all the staff was very friendly to us. We are staying in the lower, i guess older of the two buildings. The room is not brand new, but absolutely clean and everything works fine. We have side view to the ocean, what is fine for us for 130$. My daughter loves the pool. Somebody wrote in an earlier review, that he found it too hot. We really like, that it is so well heated, so my daughter can stay inside as long as she wants.

Room Tip: If you do not pay for ocean view, ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank The_Travelfamily2014

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We returned this am from a romantic overnight stay. Everything was perfection. The front desk staff(we were able to get an early check in)were polite & efficient anytime we needed their services. Scott, the bell captain, was attentive & very helpful. We booked an Oceanfront King Suite (523) & it was gorgeous! The view was nothing short of spectacular ! Do yourself a favor, spend the extra money. It is so worth it!! The bar and dining staff were always friendly & fast. Every staff member went out of their way to make sure we were helped. The breakfast buffet was hot & the made to order omelettes were delish. We set outside. The firepit area was a lovely place to enjoy a nightcap. We will return!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank capemaylover89

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel met all your needs and more. Thank you for your wonderful compliments and sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Lobby looks great with the new updates. The staff is still fantastic, the folks at the front desk saw I was an awards club member and upgraded me to an ocean front room. Dinner was good but not great, I went with the steak and perhaps I should've stuck with the seafood which appears to be there main thrust. It has a nice bar, overlooking the water inside and they have a tent set up for outside entertaining as well. The hotel has two sections the old and new, old area is nice think Holiday Inn 70's as far as size. My room this evening has a microwave and refrigerator. Price was 115.00 same as I paid at a Holiday Inn Express last night that was 60 miles from an ocean and not 60 feet. Is it the be all end all no, is it worth the price yes

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade on check in
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Melbourne-Viera

Been to Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront? Share your experiences!