“Reasonable Stay, Great location.”

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We took a weekend break to the beach and to see some friends in Melbourne.
The hotel is nice and clean. Rooms were okay. Check in was fast. We got a room overlooking (sideways) the beach, the pool and the bar deck. Note if you get a room in the second tower there is no balcony but you can sit out the front of the room.
Wife said the room smelt funny (I didn't think so), front desk was very courteous and moved us straight away. This time I got a view of the highway and the AC units. Last time I let my wife complain!
Rooms had a fridge and microwave which was nice. Room was back by the road but we had no issues with noise.
We had vouchers for breakfast and the buffet was very good. Service was good to although Erica could be more friendly!
Beach is nice, umbrellas ($35)and canopy s ($45) can be rented.
Over all we had nice stay at the hotel. Staff were friendly and pretty helpful. Bar/patio area is probably one of the best on the beach.

Room Tip: Room on a higher floor pool side in the tower with the check in desk would be best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Greetings,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s good to know that you were able to enjoy some of the amenities we have to offer, such as our Surfside Oceanfront Lounge/Deck and the beach services. We appreciate your comments and we hope that you and your family will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I had the need to stay while on business. I found the facility to be better than adequate. The room was well furnished, and I especially enjoyed the proximity to the beach. The WiFi had the best bandwidth of any hotel I have stayed in. Bravo! Usually is is very slow in hotels.

Had the breakfast buffet on the patio and enjoyed the beautiful sunrise at the same time. Meal was vouchered for me, the cost would have been good for the good food available.

I wanted to shout out to the hotel hostess/server Jessie, she was a fabulous server and had a great friendly attitude. Being quite pregnant didn't seem to slow her down at all.

Had problem with my TV later in the evening, and the maintenance support was right there with a remedy. All in all, I would stay there again and recommend for a good value place.

Room Tip: Good value for your money.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Greetings,
We are happy to hear that your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront was a successful one. It’s good to know that you were able to enjoy our Marisol Oceanfront Restaurant during your stay and thank you for the nice comments about our staff member. She will be recognized. We appreciate the time you took to review our hotel and we hope to see you again soon either for business again or leisure.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Nice staff ,basic rooms a bit run down but restaurant awful ,food just over cooked one of our friends got sick and dishes dirty do crown plaza really see this as acceptable as i camt beleive anyone of their quality control would pass this.Gym also substandard and smelly.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank GordonS916
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Greetings,
We are sorry to hear that your experience in our restaurant was less than satisfactory. We take your comments to heart and will take any necessary steps to improving these issues. We hope that you visit us again so we have the chance to turn your last experience around. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you are used to staying at the Ritz Carlton- this place is NOT for you. I booked this room through Hotel tonight app and thought I got a good rate ???
Anyway -Let me start with the good things -
Both Sally and Rachel at reception were kind, professional, and great at their job ( problem solving)
Chris at the restaurant Marisol - which is actually very good - took great care of us - excellent service.
And Angela from Housekeeping was wonderful- professional and very good at her job as well.
Being in the Travel Business for over 20 years, working for hotels and Club Med - I was very upset about how many times we were inconvenienced on this trip.
We arrived late Fri night only to drive around for over 15 min in the rain trying to find a parking spot :( I always love a hotel with valet !
The lobby was full and the hotel was hopping. We went to our room - which was actually nice - unpacked and relaxed after a long drive and ordered a $20 movie !! ( actually 3 $20 movies now since we have been here - that is a lot for a movie !!!)
At 1:30 in the morning, my son got up to use the bathroom only to be startled by ants - everywhere!! !! Hundreds of them - in the tub, on the toilet , on the vanity, in my toilet tree bag, in my make up bag -everywhere. Thankfully- someone came up quickly and then we had to pack up and move our entire room !!!! Ughhh. Then they put us next to an elevator which kept me up the whole rest of the night and all morning. We went down to speak to Sally the next morning - who was very sweet. I was tired and cranky from NO SLEEP. but it continues - the next night - Saturday- we were woken at 2:30 in the morning - our AC unit started smoking and letting off heat along with a burning smell. We thought there was a fire. Maintenance came up AGAIN - He reset the unit - said it should be fine - but that they could not change our room BC the hotel was full. So now at 3:30 am I cannot go back to sleep BC I am scared of the burning smell and that there could be sparks or a fire.
Rachel was very nice the next morning - also offered us a better rate like Sally did - and moved our room - for the third time !!!!!!!
Sunday night was better except for all the early morning noise of the room being made up above us - woke me up too early and very noisy - furniture moving and vacuum going - ughhhh again
And alll 3 days here so far someone has knocked on our door waking us up - even with the "Do Not Disturb" on the door - asking us if we are checking out and asking if we ordered more towels.....woke us up every morning !!
This was supposed to be a relaxing vacation before going back to school. :(
The beach is very nice - the hotel is actually probably the nicest along Melbourne Beach - we don't want to go back to Orlando (inland) because we love the coast - but all of these these inconveniences have made it an disappointing vacation. I was supposed to take my son on a cruise- but it was full - and we are actually are spending more money here than we would have on the cruise. Our bill is almost $400 so far plus the $155 from hotel tonight for the first night plus one more night tonight - probably around $700 for a mediocre vacation Very disappointing. But - all in all - nice staff .... Not sure I would rate it a 4 star hotel
Also - whatever the maids spray on the rugs to make the room smell good is nauseating - they have to stop putting those chemicals into the rug - the smell is disgusting

Room Tip: I would ask for Ocean front - top floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nancybobtravels
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Greetings,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to compliment a few of our staff members. The employees you mentioned were recognized for their customer service. We wholeheartedly apologize for these inconveniences you and your family experienced during your stay with us, though we are glad to know that our staff members resolved these issues for you quickly and professionally. These comments will be given to the correct departments so we can work to ensure 100% guest satisfaction which is our goal here at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront. We hope that you find yourself here on the east coast again and that you give our property a second try. We strive to create a relaxing and enjoyable experience for all of our guests. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I love IHG hotels especially Crowne Plaza. I went to Melbourne with my husband for weekend and chose to use points at Crowne Plaza.
The room was very good with IHG standards, very good bed, shower and toiletries. The service we didn't use much but was ok.
But 2 things with the beach: why offer rental chairs and umbrella ($35 per day) instead of offer for free. Luckily we have our beachchairs on the car.
Another thing : the ocean is very dangerous in frontof the hotel with huge rocks and no signal of them.
Parents with little children: take care!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Simone T

Greetings,
Thank you so much for being a loyal member with our IHG brand. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the room amenities we offer here at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront. We do apologize, however, that your experience on the beach was less than satisfactory. We take your comments and concerns to heart and our staff will do any necessary steps to create 100% guest satisfaction. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We needed a hotel in the area for one night and I thought this location on the beach would be good, plus I got the room on IHG points. As it turned out we had a long day and arrived late (after dinner) an left early for NASA, so the beach front location was of no use to us, but that was my poor choice. We were given a room on the ground floor by the pool, which was also on the walkway from the car park at the front of the hotel and next to the gym. It was very noisy from the pool until very late in the night, with people still walking by and talking loudly at 4am and finally noisy from the road outside from early morning. All in all, a bad room location. The room itself was just OK, nothing of any note. Clean and big enough for the three of us and our bags. The breakfast buffet was good value and good quality, so we opted for that to start off our day.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sdwoo
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It seems we could have earned those extra stars if your room was in a different location. Some guests love being ground floor poolside some do not. I hope that your travels will bring you back to our area and we can pick a different location for you and your family. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope our paths cross again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was great! Our room was just steps to the pool and the ocean. The view was amazing and we were on the first floor. The bar/restaurant was great for kids and adults. We loved this place and plan to return if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Oceanfront or at least oceanview!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kaylyn C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Greetings,
We are so happy to hear that your stay with us was so enjoyable. It’s good to know that you were able to experience some of the amenities our property has to offer such as our Marisol Oceanfront Restaurant and our pool/Jacuzzi area. Thank you so much for your comments and we hope to see you and your family again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Melbourne-Viera

Been to Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront? Share your experiences!