“Very nice zoo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brevard Zoo

Brevard Zoo
Ranked #1 of 72 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Brevard Zoo is home to more than 650 animals, representing 165 species. Feed gentle giraffe and lorikeets, go kayaking or take a paddle boat ride and ride the train. Get wet in Paws On, enjoy daily animal encounters and be sure to experience our rhino encounters.
Grasonville, Maryland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Very nice zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2008

We go a few times a year when the grandkids are in. This year was the first time we got all the way around, you know how little ones are. I do want to take the kayak tours they have but we will have to wait till they get a little older. I do enjoy the food and a cold beer is nice on a hot day.

Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Lovely Day Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

If you want to get away from the Orlando parks, we’d definitely recommend this lovely zoo (easy to find and about 45 minutes drive). Run by volunteers, who are so friendly and helpful, this zoo offers great value, superb animals set in a lovely quiet oasis. The zoo is small and you could walk round it in half an hour, but don’t, just take your time and you’ll see wonderful animals in very good surroundings. They have a free flying bird area with parrots amongst others; rare Foxes, Gators, and the highlight are the Rhinoceros and Giraffe areas. They have three white Rhinos, and the zoo is heavily involved with conservation and education is native areas. The Giraffe area is superb, you walk onto a raised platform and if the giraffes come over you can feed them biscuits. We were lucky enough to have one come over, we spent 30 minutes feeding it, taking photos and stroking it. The staff there will answer any questions you have. There is also a café which we found to be excellent if value and quality of food. The zoo is developing new areas, and have just finished a children’s education area where they can “dig for bones”, play at vets and see small reptiles. We spent four hours there but wished we’d gone for a whole day.

1 Thank RufflesScotland
Orlando,Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fun and relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2007

This is a great zoo! Well worth the money.
If you are over 40yrs old you will be amazed by the Butterfly exhibit. The whole zoo is very lush. It was a great day for us.
There is a downside:lots of children and parents. The children scream and taunt the amimals. I understand the kids are excited,but the parents do nothing to keep th kids under control.This seems to be a common problem everywhere.

2 Thank puffpup
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Delightful visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2006

After some early morning shopping, we decided to visit this zoo on the day after Thanksgiving. The weather was perfect and all of the animals were active and lively. The zoo is very well-planned and compact. You can spend a full day or just a couple of hours depending on how long you can spend feeding giraffes or watching gibbons swing on their ropes. (For me, that's all day.) My husband and I are big zoo people and go to the zoo whenever we can when we travel, but I have never been as close to the animals as we got at the Brevard Zoo. The zoo is divided into sections such as Africa, Australia, and Florida. I just cannot pick a favorite. The animals look very well cared for and the zoo itself is beautifully landscaped and impeccably clean. The signage is very informative about each zoo inhabitant. If I lived in the area, I would definitely sign up to be a member and would be there all the time!
The only negative I have about our visit was eating at the zoo cafe. It was absolutely infested with grackles which either stole your food if you weren't careful and pooped all over the tables. The cafe itself has a wide variety of food from hot dogs to veggie wraps, but I think the menu is a bit too ambitious. It was a very crowded day and it took us over an hour to receive our order! The item I ordered (a taco salad) was sold out and after waiting just about an hour, I had to re-order and wait some more. The three poor souls preparing the food were most apologetic and gave me my meal for free, but next time, I don't think we'll spend the time eating there.
Still we had a great day all in all!

3 Thank baseballlady
A TripAdvisor Member
“Where were the animals?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2006

We wanted to take our daughter to a zoo for her 5th birthday and someone suggested we try the Brevard Zoo. We were disappointed that we did. It looks like it could be a nice zoo, but it was severely lacking in zoo animals. I'm told that they have giraffes that you can feed from the tall walkway, but it was overcast the day we went and they were nowhere to be found. A passerby said the giraffes go into a building when lightning is a threat, which is understandable. But since FL is called the lightning capital of the world, I believe there should be a viewing area where visitors can still see them inside the building. The only large animals we got to see were 2 rhinos and some kangaroos. No lions, tigers, bears, elephants or even zebra here. Oh and the $3.00 train ride that goes around the bend and returns was not worth it, but we did see 3 bunny rabbits.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member