“Room smelled like poop. Rude staff”

Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
Weston, Florida
“Room smelled like poop. Rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Me and my friend walk into the room. A pervading odor of fecal matter greeted us. Not to say the room wasn't nice. Beach view. 7th floor... the only problem was someone took a doo doo about immediately before we walked into the room. Not cool. The next morning, we helped ourselves to the breakfast buffet, thinking it was complimentary.. It's not. It's $12.95. There was no hostess to greet us when we got there. No signs to say this buffet is not otherwise free. When we finally realized we had to to pay for the food we were taking, the restaurant staff were not so friendly about it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Specialist, Online Customer Support at Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
We are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience during your stay. It is unfortunate when situations like this arise. The hotel management will be notified about your experience. We hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arrived May 7th and stayed a week, after checking in we wish we would have stayed a Month!
Great Staff, Chris and Andy at the Front desk were great and Ben at the pool bar really knows how to make you feel comfortable. The rooms are very comfortable but with Six grown children it made more sense to reserve two rooms. We rented a king corner suite along with a family suite and it worked perfectly. I had reviewed other comments prior to arrival and the slow elevators were only an issue at checkout time. The comments regarding porpoise playing are correct and the pool temperature was perfect. We enjoyed this so much we are planning our next trip back now. The only dining issue we had was I purchased coffee and the head hostess was upset when Kristen refilled my to go cup when I went by an hour later, When shared with Kristyn that she was proving good service is making sure people will return she was very grateful and stated that no-one stands up to compliment which I find really stupid. Staff should always be shown by example not the other way around, Kyrstin should be the Shift Manager not the other way around. When you pay 2500 + over a short stay make sure the staff are empowered to make small contributions to guest satisfaction because these memories don't go away. All in all EXCELLENT HOTEL!

Room Tip: Couples corner rooms 810 family 804 area. All rooms are great.
1 Thank MKBelanger
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Needed a place to stay in the Cocoa Beach area and found I could use Club Carlson points plus cash here. Check in was easy, they would not let me take my own luggage cart up, but they had no problem giving me one the next morning when I checked out.

Room had a great view with balcony doors in the bedroom and living room area. All rooms in the hotel face the ocean. I ended up with a corner room with windows on the side as well. Whirlpool tub, microwave, wet bar, and a nice desk, desk chair did not roll very well, also a full size couch (may have been a pull out) The room was described as being a 2 room suite but there was not an actual wall and/or door separating the 2 rooms, just a 6 foot long or so half wall that the TV was mounted to on a rotating stand so it can be viewed in bed or while on the couch. Little misleading, it was fine for me though. If you were traveling with another couple or with kids and expected privacy you might be disappointed.

Unfortunately I forgot about Radisson having sleep number beds. I tried for quite a while to get the bed to a comfortable sleep number without any luck. The way the bed is constructed also prevents you from sleeping diagonally across the bed or in the middle since the area between the 2 air filled sections is higher and very stiff.

There is a restaurant in the lobby, I took look at the menu while waiting for the elevator. $13 for the breakfast buffet if you don’t want coffee. One of the employee’s in the restaurant saw me looking at the menu, reminded me a little of a used car salesman the way he came over and was trying to sell the place to me.

Elevators are very slow due to the amount of time they spend at each floor. Once the elevator stops at a floor the doors do not open for about 8 seconds. If no one is there, pushing door close does nothing, they stay open for a significant amount of time. Each floor stop is about 30 seconds even if no one gets on or off. Makes for a long ride up and down if you are on a high floor and it stops 6 times or so.

Pool and beach access area were nice. Shower at the beach ramp had a second lower shower head just for feet. Pool has a 6 foot deep end and underwater lights that change colors, makes for interesting underwater pictures if you have a camera for that. Pool towels are kept by the pool side bartender rather than just on a shelf near the pool. If the bartender is not there you have to go to the front desk to get one. Why not just keep them next to pool and prevent wet people from walking through the lobby? Went to the beach and pool in the morning just after sunrise before I packed up to leave. When I came back from the beach there was a guy cleaning the pool. I didn’t want to get in and be in his way so I waited a little while for him to finish. I eventually gave up and went back to my room, I later noticed the pool did not open till 8am.

If the beds were more comfortable and the elevator was not so slow I would not have a problem staying in the room I had for a full weekend or week.

Room Tip: Low floor due to slow elevators
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our family had long planned a special celebration to honor my mother's 100th birthday. She would have been 100 years old May 4th. Sadly, she passed away three months before that milestone after a long and happy life. We decided to go ahead with the celebration, making it a celebration of her life and a family reunion, spread out over four or five days. My daughter, who lives in Palm Bay, visited several possible sites and chose the Radisson Oceanfront as our base of operations. It was an excellent choice. Every room is an oceanfront room, with a balcony overlooking the beach. The sound of the waves puts you to sleep at night and calms you during the day. We were looking forward to sunny weather, since the rainy season doesn't normally start until June. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. We had rain every day, with just a few hours of good weather to accomplish our activities. We still had a wonderful time, though. On Saturday, we assembled in one of the hotel bars to watch the Kentucky Derby, entertained as much by the friendly bartender as we were the race. On other days, we swam in the hotel pool or jogged along the beach. We shopped in beach stores and in the mall in Melbourne. Some of us visited attractions in Orlando. We learned the Radisson is absolutely the most convenient hotel on the beach. We found a Walmart practically across the street, a Winn Dixie in that same shopping center, and, within close proximity, numerous restaurants to suit everybody's pocketbook. We had breakfast one day at Panera's, practically around the corner from the hotel (great!); one morning at the Blueberry Muffin just down the road (excellent!) and another day at the Beach Side Grille in Satellite Beach. (Also excellent--try their famous baked oatmeal.) We enjoyed a casual lunch at Goombays; their food was delicious, and they allowed us to bring and share a big cake for a family member celebrating a birthday. On the final day of our reunion, the weather was beautiful. We held a little memorial service for my mom at a pavilion we had reserved at a park very near the hotel. That was followed by a wonderful picnic/barbecue. We met cousins we hadn't seen in 55+ years. Throughout our stay, the staff at the Radisson was friendly and courteous, always greeting us as we came and went. They provided a wheelchair for a family member who needed it and went out of their way to do everything possible to make our stay a pleasant one. If you like the idea of an oceanfront room, I would definitely recommend the Radisson Oceanfront.

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites. If you want a room with a microwave, let them know. Some rooms have jus...
1 Thank ar5grandma
Cody, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were here for a family gathering and challenged the front desk at the onset to be as good as the Radisson in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They didn't try hard enough. There were smiles, and the staff is friendly, but they don't have the same sense of wanting to make your entire visit perfect. There are negative signs about ("No Outside Food or Drinks" in the pool area), and a plastic salad bowl remained on our floor near the ice machine from dinner one night until after the breakfast hour the following morning. It was small, but it was indicative of a less-than-perfect place. We went to the workout room on the top floor, which has a really nice view of the ocean, but lots of the equipment is in disrepair. It's a fine place if you want to have a drink by the pool - forget the beach, it's rocky. It may well be the best place for a family gathering in all of Melbourne Beach - but it just doesn't measure up to the quality of service we found at the Colorado Springs hotel.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have balconies that look out onto the ocean. If you suffer from vertigo, get a low...
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Every suite is huge and all have a balcony facing the ocean. There are no side and partial views. Furnishings are all in good condition, and you get an adjustable bed too! Tip: Read how to work the bed and get it to the softness/firmness that you like for a good nights sleep. We had a whirlpool jet bath, but I'm not sure that every suite has that.
I give this a 5 star review as the cost of this hotel is actually pretty cheap, and for what you pay you get a lot. Don't come expecting the Georges V in Paris and you won't be disappointed. Had this hotel been costlier I may have down graded it a little. All the staff we encountered were super friendly, especially in the small restaurant. We had the buffet breakfast there both mornings and found it great value at just $12.95.
I read a lot of comments on here about the lifts being slow but we did not find this at all on our trip. Also, I read that the beach was rocky but I didn't see this either. The only other thing you may find useful to know is that most restaurants are about a 15 minute drive away. Sure there are a few little independent ones within walking distance but they didn't look good to us. There is a Starbucks and McDonalds close by if you need a quick fix.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hal93
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a room here on the HOTEL WEBSITE and it said Kitchenette...its a lie. The only reason we booked this hotel for the week instead of many others is that it promised a kitchenette so we could cook our own meals instead of paying 13$ a day per person just for breakfast! We got here and found a wet bar with a mini fridge...thats all!! When we inquired about this at the front desk, even after being forced to "prove it" by pulling out our online reservation which we did we didn't even get an apology! Just a microwave sent to the room and a "feel free to checkout if you wish". I am so dissatisfied and we are stuck here because we booked in advance. We had to call the hotel website and report this incident ourselves. What a waste. Oh and I forgot to mention the pair of dirty sox we found in the sofa...dont waste your money!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ANilson1785
Brian C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront? Share your experiences!