“Review of lunch”

Ranked #95 of 454 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: World class Chinese cuisine and sushi located in the Melbourne Square Mall. For elegant Chinese cuisine, look no further than Red Ginger.
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We arrived to have told by hostess very busy might be a significant wait had a large party come in our waitress said she had seven tables but would do her best lunch took over an hour and came out just warm and waitress forgot a side and never brought it out I will not return for I feel for price I paid for lunch was waste of time and money at no time there was a manager visible or available

3  Thank Paul M

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I want to start this out by saying we did go to Red Ginger on Valentines night, without a reservation. However, we had heard great things about this place and wanted to try. We had to wait 1-1/2 hours initially, which was fine, as we walked around the mall. However, after coming back, were told to wait another hour. After some questioning, we were placed at one of the many empty tables in the front. Not to be negative, but unfortunately the waitress was not friendly, the service was pretty bad (even with the restaurant emptying out), and the food really was just ok. I got the pad thai with fried rice, just average. Prices weren't bad, but not a bargain for sure. We were hoping the food made up for everything else, but it was standard Asian food. The ambiance is nice for a mall setting. I'd try again to see if the experience was different!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Ate at this restaurant twice last month. The first visit was okay but not outstanding. I guess I expected too much because I felt much better the second visit. We had good meals at both visits not Gourmet as they think of themselves.

2  Thank Jack L
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I was also in this Restaurant on Saturday Night. My wife and I arrived early, about 4pm. We wanted to see the Chinese New Year festivities and had neglected to make reservations (Our bad)
we had never been in before, but the hostess explained that they were setting up for the night and that it was unusual but that they were full for reservations. My wife and I accepted the offer to join them in the bar area. So we were also in close hearing and viewing range of the host stand. We did hear the lady who came in and demanded to be seated with out a reservation. She was loud and rude, much like you might expect to see in a white trash reality show. I was embarrassed for her.
The host did their best to remain professional and offered them seating with in the area in which we were seated. She was loud, rude and I thought they handled themselves well. She threatened the manager guy as they walked out the door, so as I saw she followed thorough with her poorly written, bad grammar and ridiculous review I felt it my duty to write this.
The festivities were awesome, loud indeed, but great. The food and service was amazing! The tenders who also served us, were professional, kind, attentive and I would recommend coming to this place to everyone! We will remember to make reservations next time, it was obvious that they are doing a great job! We watched and listened to MANY happy people that night coming and going and was quite impressed.
Please do not listen to angry poorly written banter from poorly behaved people... give this place a chance.

2  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Another tailored-to-American-tastes Asian restaurant. I ordered Pork Pad Thai, but it was so salty as to be half-German, and missing one main ingredient--beansprouts. Can you imagine Pad Thai without beansprouts? My partner ordered Shrimp Fried Rice and it was served in a plate the size of a turkey platter. Not the way Asians eat rice. We had to request rice bowls and serve ourselves. Then there was this man in black, a bouncer type, watching us for the longest time and only when I starred back at him did he go away. And there were other employees walking around looking at the guests and doing nothing. It was Saturday evening and busy but they all seemed totally disorganized and it took twenty minutes to get served and ten minutes to pay our bill. When I went to the men's room, which was next to the kitchen, it sounded like a fierce hockey game going on in there.

2  Thank Albarelli