“More challenging than I expected, and also more exhilarating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Treetop Trek

Treetop Trek
Ranked #4 of 74 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience nature on a whole new level at Brevard Zoo's new outdoor aerial adventure! Fun for all ages, test your skills on one of three courses enjoying varying degrees of challenges and, of course, zip lines. For thrill seekers, we recommend Treetop Challenge. For nature lovers, enjoy the Canopy Walk, and Chutes and Ladders is great for the kids. Open daily at 9 a.m. Zoo admission not required to experience Treetop Trek.
Melbourne, FL
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“More challenging than I expected, and also more exhilarating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I was pretty nervous about trying the Treetop Challenge--I'm a little afraid of heights--but I am so glad I did it! It was definitely challenging, but conquering each challenge was really a kick. It turned out that the height issue was not really any problem; I was so focused on where to step and holding on that I hardly noticed how high off the ground I was. I should mention that although my son and I signed up for the Treetop Challenge, we decided after completing the first half that we had had enough adrenaline rushes for one day, so we did not continue on through the more challenging second half. I would have loved to give that a shot, esp. the longer zip line over the gator's pond, but will have to go back some day to try that.

Be sure to get there as early as possible, esp. on weekends. We got there just before 9 A.M., and couldn't believe how many cars were in the parking lot already. (they open at 9) After paying and filling out the paperwork, we were given a pretty thorough how-to and safety talk, including demonstrating to the guide that we could clip on and off the safety lines safely, and also how to do the zip lines. Then we were taken to the beginning of the course.

Once you climb up the first ladder, you are somewhat on your own, so you need to pay attention to the talk at the beginning. There are guides on the ground who can call up advice, but you will be responsible for keeping yourself safely clipped onto the lines. It took us a few trees to get the hang of it--it can be tricky keeping your lines untangled--but then it was pretty fun.

I would definitely recommend this activity, with some caveats: it is physically taxing, with lots of balancing/squatting/lifting with your arms--if that's a problem, you probably shouldn't do it. Once you start, I don't know how you could stop in the middle and get back down to the ground. (the guide said they had ladders they could put up to get someone down if need be, but it would be hugely embarrassing) There is a break in the middle of the Treetop Challenge, which is where my son and I were able to stop, but it's a long way from the beginning to the halfway point.

I would not want to do this activity in the heat of the summer. We went in early November, and it was perfect--cool and bug-free. Wear long pants, closed-toed shoes, and pull your hair back if it's long.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank WanderingFool47

Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome will return some time at a cooler season!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Awestruck and awesome!

Waiting time is the only negative about the place ..it was an amazing experience~

The whole challenge is worth the money charged and its fun - but alas only if there was a way toc lick pictures when you are getting through each level and making it to the next one!

Visited September 2011