“Bird watcher's paradise”

Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands
Ranked #3 of 106 things to do in Melbourne
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This very pleasant area attracts a myriad of birds that can be easily seen. Migration patterns determine the variety of birds to be seen. Alligators are often visible (very close). A good road transits the wetlands, making photography and viewing very easy. A great place to hang out.

There are newer reviews for Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands

Reviewed 3 November 2013

As usual the wetlands were beautiful. Part was closed to car traffic which was a bummer but still and excellent place to bird.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was a nice, free place to spend an afternoon. We went on a Sunday at around noon. There were no other people past the parking lot, so my date went topless. A nice, unpaved road along the perimeter with a couple viewing platforms made for a leisurely stroll. A great variety of wildlife.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I travel to Florida on a regular basis to photograph birds. I discovered these Viera Wetlands several years ago and have been basing myself, at least part of the time, in Cocoa Beach so that I can run over to the wetlands for sunrises and sunsets...and a bunch of photography in between. It's really an awesome place...one of my all time favorites....with wildlife galore...up close and personal. I think it's probably several hundred acres that are divided into cells. It's claim to fame was that the entire wetlands were accessible by vehicle by driving on the berms that separate the cells. I've had so many incredible photographic experiences and I've met so many other awesome photographers in there. But unfortunately, it now seems to be a rare occasion when vehicles are allowed to drive into the wetlands. I get out and walk it .... but I can't carry all the cameras, tripods, binoculars, etc. around. Plus, there is no shelter to run to to protect cameras should a storm come up. The past several times I was there....I met no other photographers...just a couple of people getting their exercise...and then they were all up at the front. It's really a shame.

2  Thank Lorac53
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a free venue -- can drive through it or get out and hike it. The birds are amazing. Bring your camera and bird book. We saw a blue heron having a large fish for lunch--about 5 feet from us.