“Great Stay, wish the hotel manager would leave the outside bar open”

Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Stay, wish the hotel manager would leave the outside bar open”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

This was my second trip to this hotel in 12 months. Front desk staff was excellent, they were working on the outside of my hotel suite terrace (chipping off cement with a hammer) and I awoke to what sounded like a woodpecker with a sledgehammer. I spoke to the desk and they immediately moved me and went beyond with great customer service. I was in town for my son testing out as at Patrick AFB for a Air Force CRO so I spent time down at the outside bar. The bartender "Christine" was excellent, great rapport, great service and great conversation about everything and anything. She remembered my wife and I by name each day and even congratulated my son when he returned from the test by engaging in conversation with him about the Air Force. The only spoiler was that each afternoon it would start to rain and since they have a bar inside that usually does not open until 5pm, the Hotel Manager would close the outside bar and not reopen the rest of the day which then forced everyone outside to go inside if they wanted a drink. Hotel Manager: we are at the beach, next to a pool and and we expect wet for cripes sake! Other than that it is a great place to stay and would do it again and again and again.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice with an ocean view, corner suites are large and have a great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank lance s
MargaretMaryKehoe, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Lance S,

Thank you for the review of our property. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations to your son on his accomplishments in the Air Force. We are so grateful to him for his service and your family for their sacrifice.

I'm glad that Christine helped make your stay more enjoyable. I will be sure to pass your kind words onto her manager. I'm sorry that the outside bar was closed due to the weather. I will pass your suggestions on to our Food & Beverage Director. We look forward to your return the next time you visit Melbourne.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here for three nights and were very pleased with our experience. We had a room on the seventh floor of the newer South Tower that had a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. We had a wonderful time walking the beach, watching the surfers, the pelicans, we just loved it here. The hotel itself is older, built in the 70"s, the South wing is an add-on from 7-8 years ago or so. The decor was nice, the hotel layout was nice and easy to navigate, the parking was plentiful, and there was even 10-12 covered spaces to park. The elevators were quick, the staff was very helpful and friendly. This is just a real good hotel, it represents the Hilton brand name very well.

Room Tip: South tower has larger balconies and is newer. The north tower rooms do not have space for chairs f...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank SecondComing
Dear Second Coming,

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hosting you the next time your travels bring you to Melbourne.

Fort Belvoir, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

The Beachfront Hilton Hotel was below my expectation. The housekeeper didn't leave enough shampoo and conditioners even when I ran out. The staff was not that friendly. And most disappointing incidence that one of the staff didn't let me park my car in the hotel parking lot and asked me to go park somewhere else when the hotel had some kind of activity. This hotel doesn't provide the quality of the name of Hilton.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MargaretMaryKehoe, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Lydia P,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I'm so sorry that your stay with us was not what you expected or hoped for. I'm so sorry that the amenities in your bathroom were not replenished. We have a new Executive Housekeeper and I have already spoken to him about this and he has assured me that this will not happen again.

I'm sorry that our staff was unkind to you. That is not acceptable and I have spoken to all our department heads and reminded them that our associates should be polite, courteous, helpful and welcoming at all times to all of our guests.

I'm sorry that you were given misdirection when you tried to park at the hotel. Our team members were directed to have our in house guests park in one area of the parking lot and our event guests park in another area. Please be assured this won't happen again.

Thank you again for giving us your comments about your stay. It's through the comments of our guests that we can work to become better and give our guests a perfect stay. I do hope that the next time your travels bring you to Melbourne that you will consider staying with us again.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

This was my third stay ot this hotel in 12 months and I always hope that they will iron out the little niggles that disappoint. It is a great property in an enviable location, with wonderful staff so I am saddened to report the negatives, which prove irksome. This stay ended up being for 10 days
1. Room 2515 There were bugs in the shower - some sort of larvae - the insects that I assume were responsible were also evident. I reported to reception and they sent an operative the same day to spray. After 2-3 days, it was evident that the spray had not been successful and I reported again. I assume that the shower was sprayed again, but the wrigglers reappeared after several days.
2. The bedding was not changed for 5 days at the start of our stay. My understanding is that Hilton change bedding after 3 days unless requested otherwise. I complained at reception and was given 2 $30 dinner vouchers ( more of this later).
3. Hilton Honours Tuesday drinks and canapes reception. My husband and I have alway enjoyed this treat on our previous stays. On this occasion, we sat at a low table tucked away in the corner near the bar. Apart from 2 times, the waiter started serving the canapes at the opposite end of the room and had invariably emptied his tray before getting to our table. We always have New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as our cocktail hour drink, but by the time we ordered the 2nd drink, the Sauvignon Blanc had run out.
4. We decide to use our free dinner vouchers the following day and tried to order a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc . Guess what - still none in stock over 24 hours later. My husband complained at reception and the desk clerk said she would email the General Manager- no response to date. The food in the restaurant was average. I would have been very disappointed if I had paid full price.
5. The following night (Thursday), We had booked to go to a restaurant downtown and get a good meal and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. When I tried to book the shuttle bus at reception, I was told that the shuttle was not available as there was no driver.
We were scheduled to stay for 14 nights, but we checked out the next day. When my husband reviewd the bill the following day, there was a room service charge that we disputed. He called the hotel and we are still awaiting a call back after 6 days.
Next time we will stay at the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Racoon12345
Dear Racoon 12345,

Thank you so much for your review of our property and your continued loyalty in choosing to stay with us when you travel to Melbourne. I am so sorry about the issues you encountered during your most recent stay with us. Bugs in your shower and linens that were not changed is unacceptable and inexcusable. I have spoken to both our Executive Housekeeper and our Chief Engineer and they have assured me that these two issues have been resolved.

I have also spoken to our Director of Sales & Marketing who hosts our weekly Honors Reception and he has told me that the waitstaff will change their starting location of service each time they bring a new tray. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Sometimes we don't see everything that is happening and it's through the feedback of our loyal guests that we can make changes and improvements.

Our Food & Beverage Director has made changes to the ordering procedure. We also discussed the room service charge on your bill. That has been addressed. I'm so sorry that neither our Food & Beverage or our Accounting Departments returned your call.

I do hope the next time you travel to this side of the pond that you will give us an opportunity to provide you with the great service we're known for. It is our pleasure to have such loyal guests as yourselves return and stay with us. Please contact me directly and I will be happy to make a reservation for you and ensure that everything is perfect.

Philadelphia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

The hotel was very nice had great amenities like pool, hot tub, outside bar, and beach rentals. I'm allergic to down and they met my request of having alternative bedding without asking when I arrived, alot hotels will tell you may note it but we may not be able to accommodate that request and you don't find out til you get there. The hotel was clean, great location, and I had an ocean view so it was lovely to keep the slider open hearing the ocean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

7 Thank Andrea L
Dear Andrea L,

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting you again the next time your travels bring you to Melbourne.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

We have family in the area and usually stay at the Crowne Plaza. We tried the Hilton this time and thought readers might like a comparison of the two. The view from a Hilton 9th floor ocean front junior suite was great. The view from the wrap around balcony of a Crowne Plaza corner suite is even better. The balcony at the Hilton was just a step-out balcony with no room for chairs. The ocean view rooms appeared to have full balconies. We really liked room decor at the Hilton. It was tasteful, bright and modern. The Crowne Plaza suites are not as nicely decorated and the floor plan is not as good. The lobby and common areas at the Hilton were also nicer and brighter than the Crowne Plaza. The outside pool/bar area at the Crowne Plaza is great because you can sit with a fantastic view of the beach. The outdoor area at the Hilton does not offer the same views or ambiance. The staff was attentive in both hotels although the Crowne Plaza staff seemed a little warmer to the guests. We would be happy to stay in either hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank CumberlandIsland
Dear Cumberland Island,

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us while you visited with your family. I will be sure to pass your kind words about our staff onto the management team. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in town to visit your family.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Have stayed here 5 or more times for both business & play. Every stay has been terrific & they just keep getting better. The Ocean front large suite has amazing 180 degree views. Clean rooms, pool, spa & gym. Overlook the beach as you work out too. The breakfast & service are consistantly good. No problems with the A/C because I rarely use it here with the ocean breezes. Staff is always pleasant & helpful. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Ask for the main tower
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Donatella-Bingbong
MargaretMaryKehoe, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Donatella Bingbong,

Thank you so much for your review of our property and for choosing to stay with us when your travels bring you to Melbourne. I'm so glad that you enjoy our property and our great staff. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!