“outstanding staff and view” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gainesville
“outstanding staff and view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

the staff at this location was the best i have every dealt with, outstanding across the board. Leadership should take credit for the great service outstanding!!! During the entire staff we left the patio door open to enjoy the view and the sounds of the waves crashing through the night

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank southerboy
John_DePiro1665, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear southerboy,

Our behalf of our entire team, we appreciate your feedback and recognition. Your comments will motivate our team to continue to strive for even greater excellence. We are delighted that you enjoyed the sights & sounds of the ocean and look forward to your return.

Kind Regards,

john.depiro@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I've been staying at this hotel on and off for over two years now for business. This has always been a great location and the staff (Check-In, Restaurant, Bars, etc.) have always been very good, professional, and happy.
In the last month or two I have started to notice a change. I'm not sure what changed but many of the guest were commenting that they noticed it as well. Less friendly greetings at the check-in, staff seems a bit stressed, and several new faces.
If I was going to guess I would say that there has been a management change of some type and to be totally open and frank it has not been a good transition. I would guess that the next sign will be several of the longtime, good, and loyal employees start to leave. Please turn this trend around so we continue to choose this as our favored location as a company.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
John_DePiro1665, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear K M,

Thank you for your repeat business. We have made some changes in 2013 and so far the feedback that we have received has been very favorable. Many of the changes that were mentioned were the result of promotions. We have had some outstanding team members advance their status at a sister property. We have also had some growth where some of our sister properties’ team members advanced their careers here at the Hilton Melbourne Beach as well. We are quite proud of the entire team and believe that we will grow favorably in 2014, as a result of the promotions and additions that have transpired. On a personal note, I encourage you to return to further experience what our team is capable of. I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations however, great things are to come and we look forward to your return. If there is anything that I can do, please contact me at my email address below. Happy Holidays!

Warm Regards,

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel is in a great location and has nice amenities. We had a less-than-perfect room, but enjoyed out time there. Food was good, service good. Price very good. Heavy sliding doors keep ocean noise out. This hotel is in a great location and has nice amenities. We had a less-than-perfect room, but enjoyed out time there. Food was good, service good. Price very good. Heavy sliding doors keep ocean noise out. This hotel is in a great location and has nice amenities. We had a less-than-perfect room, but enjoyed out time there. Food was good, service good. Price very good. Heavy sliding doors keep ocean noise out. This hotel is in a great location and has nice amenities. We had a less-than-perfect room, but enjoyed out time there. Food was good, service good. Price very good. Heavy sliding doors keep ocean noise out. This hotel is in a great location and has nice amenities. We had a less-than-perfect room, but enjoyed out time there. Food was good, service good. Price very good. Heavy sliding doors keep ocean noise out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank khyder2016
John_DePiro1665, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for reviewing the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront Hotel. It was nice to see that you enjoyed our location and felt that we provided good service. Our food also receives positive reviews. We are getting ready to update our menu sometime in the early part of the first quarter of 2014. If you would like to provide some feedback regarding your guest room, please email me personally at the email address below. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to your return.

At your service,

safety harbor, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed one night and immediately booked 4 more nights. I loved it and i will be back to stay again next week. This hotel has single handedly made me change from marriot to hilton. From the restaurant to the attentiveness of the security staff they went above and beyond. Not to mention waking up to the ocean crashing and the view is worth its weight in gold.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

3 Thank Scott F
John_DePiro1665, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Scott F,

On behalf of the Hilton Melbourne Beach, welcome to the Hilton brand. We want you to come back as well! Our security team and restaurant staff will be very appreciative of your observations regarding their attentiveness. Thank you for your repeat business and review. We look forward to hosting many additional oceanfront stays in the future.

At your service,

Le Claire, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

As I do a lot of traveling, I was extremely delighted at the excellence accommodations and service provided by the hotel. Their attention to detail, continual customer service, rooms and facilities were top-notch. As a corporate trainer (and I also train in the area of customer service) I intent to use Hilton as an example of what TO DO at a hotel.
Even the food was great! Your staff was a pleasure to work with. A special call out to Betty in the restaurant and Diana that helped with the training rooms. They made the experience great and helped everything run smoothly.
Many thanks to all. I intend to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Laurie J
John_DePiro1665, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Laurie J,

Thank you for the very detailed review. The fact that you are a Corporate Trainer and your perception was that our team deserved five stars really says a lot. I was very pleased to see that you felt the facilities were top notch and that the food was great however, your service comments REALLY mean the world to our team. Service is what we do and why we are here! I will pass along your kudos to both Betty and Diana. Thank you again for your feedback. Please come back and see us again soon.

Wasaga Beach, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Seemed like a lot of staff and they were all wonderful, friendly and helpful without being intrusive or over the top - just right. The place is very well maintained and even though it is large, you still feel special. It will probably need updating soon but still very clean and pretty modern.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank Susan B
Dear Susan B,

Thank you for the very kind comments and five star rating. We are elated that you enjoyed your stay! Glad to see that you felt that the staff was friendly and helpful. We look forward to your return.

Columbus, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The Hilton Melbourne Beach. I have stayed here several weeks this year and have stayed in several different rooms. This is a really nice well managed hotel. Hilton and the Hhonors program should learn to treat customers as nicely as they do here. There are many positives and only a couple negatives.

The hotel is kept up very well. There has not been a stay here where I have not seen them painting or fixing or cleaning, they don't neglect upkeep here. Things in general seem “new”. Maid service does a very good job and have been very trustworthy. There have been a few times over many stays that I have noticed a rushed job, but overall they do a great job. Room cleanliness is really dependent on who stayed there before you and the attentiveness of your maid and her manager. Sometimes you get a room with cleaning staff that is not as good as others. Some neglect cleaning the chairs, others the front of the counter under the sink, the phones or the remotes. There is the occasional room that has been smoked in and I just ask for a different room, but this is not unique to this hotel. My rule is a room has been smoked in if you can smell the smoke or the room has an overpowering industrial deodorizer spray smell. At this hotel they fine people who smoke in rooms, so if the maids report this the front desk will know which rooms have to be fined and therefore which rooms are smoking rooms.

Gym: This is a good sized facility that looks out onto the bar and pool through floor to ceiling windows filled with Precor equipment. Equipment is not brand new and appears to have taken a beating from the salt air. Nevertheless equipment is in good working condition. Three stair master and three treadmill and a sit down bike. They have TVs on the equipment that works and TVs on the walls. Bring your own ear plugs, but sometimes they have ones to borrow. There is a large selection of hand dumbbells a couple of weight machines and a leg press. There are some mats and balls. Some days it smells like a gym, but better than industrial deodorizer to breathe. Tiny little hand towels are supplied and there are water fountains. No locker rooms or showers. The other day I noticed some designers or architects lurking around the gym and I expect a renovation sometime soon.

Hhonors: They do an OK job for members. They really took care of me well as far as getting me a nice room and making sure I had a microwave and refrigerator. They have a Tuesday party for members and it is very nice. They give you two drinks and have a carving station and pass finger food. It is one of the best lounge events and probably the best of the area Hiltons, but only one day on Tuesday. They do not have a club room or a club floor. Typical sacks and bottled water. Buffet coupons for the appropriate member level, so much better and relaxing for the business traveler than the Hampton fake food. They have a very good breakfast and for Diamond members this is very nice.

Rooms: I have been in many. There is a larger tower and a newer smaller tower. The difference is that the smaller tower has refrigerators in all rooms, but no microwave. Fridge is about 6 cu ft and no freezer compartment. The tall tower had no fridge or microwave. One large LG flat screen I think 36-40”. About 30 Channels, possibly some sort of direct TV setup, with HBO, but they have a large pay per view selection. AC is individual units, not window, in each room with digital thermostat. I can't tell if they throttle the AC at night, but it is not motion activated. All rooms have a balcony, the new small tower has larger ones than the tall tower rooms which is standing room only. The odd rooms in the small tower do not face the pool but have an acceptable view of the ocean (and parking lot) facing South. Most balcony have 2 plastic chairs and a small chair/table. All rooms in the tall tower face the pool and ocean. Rooms in the small tower have ceiling mounted rain showers and no shower doors. The big tower have regular showers. Water pressure is very good. Only one room I was in had a significant delay in hot water. Rooms on floor 7 in small tower have high ceilings, but are otherwise the same. I believe all floors at this hotel have ice and soda machines. You wont find large trash cans in the room or on any floors. The only place I could find one was outside the door to the parking lot. This is bad if you have a baby with diapers or a lot of food trash to throw out if you hate dumping trash outside your door. Plenty of electrical sockets and lights. Beds and sheets were good quality and comfortable. King size beds have 5 pillows which are twin size pillows and the fill in them in the room I am in now are all different. I bet if you have a pillow preference, they would accommodate you. For me the king bed is more comfortable than the pillows. Nothing seemed very worn in the rooms I was in. Toilets are a unique two flush system which does not seem to clog like in many other hotels. Rooms are fairly quiet and with the sliding door shut I could not hear the ocean. I leave early in the morning so I do not know if there is a morning door slam fest. I don't remember hearing stomping from the floor above, but you can hear neighbors in some rooms. To decrease the sounds my advice is to turn the thermostat setting to “on” for fan. Good sized ice buckets and nice Cuisanart individual coffee set up with mugs. Most rooms the curtains do a great job of keeping the sun out if necessary. Soaps and shampoo are, in my opinion, nothing special and similar in quality to the Neutragena most Hilton used to carry, but now come with a special shape and fancy name. I have bad allergies so unless I get a smoked in room or one overly sprayed, I did not have any problems. A good breeze off the ocean should clear up any allergy problems.

Breakfast and Food: The chef is always at the Tuesday party and he is a professional. Breakfast food is high quality. The buffet is the same every day except for a single special dish that changes every day. You can order off the menu. Very nice dining room that looks out onto the pool and ocean. Nice wait staff that really wants to please. They do a large amount of room service. They also are always bringing food out to the outside bar area. You can also eat at the inside bar. Food is priced as expected for a hotel. For example a $12 burger to your room is at least $17 after $3 delivery charge 21% service charge and 6% tax, but again you are getting a very good burger. Dinner menu $22-$35. Food served until 11PM.

Pool and Beach: The pool is relatively small but only notice when hotel is packed. They appear keep it very clean with a service coming by every morning. I have only been in it a couple times. Its a pool. There is a small hot tub adjacent to it. Unless it is season, the lounge chairs are plentiful. Season, you have to deal with the chair hogs and it was very hard to find chairs. Towel saved lounges stay vacant for hours. They have a couple of umbrellas around the pool if you can get one. They rent lounges and umbrellas on the beach around $20-$25 a day for two chars and an umbrella. Again, pool right next to outside bar that serves drinks and food. Hotel is right on the beach on the other side of the protected dunes. Beach access is only by elevated walkway across dunes. Beach is clean and safe and plenty of white sand. Ocean varies between glass and great for surfing. Shells are variable. Sharks teeth are almost not existent. I actually saw a single turtle on two separate occasions in September making their journey to the sea. People around knew not to interfere as it is against the law. Jelly fish are variable, check the internet.

Internet: Complimentary. However, if you check-in and sign on in the evening, every night at that time the wi-fi internet will time out and force you to log back on. It takes over the tab you are on and you lose whatever you were working on or watching (you cannot hit the back button to get to the page you were on, it disappears). If you stay for many nights, it becomes very frustrating real fast. I have just put up with it and have not researched a fix. Other than that, it is nice to have free access to wifi and a land line especially if you remember the days of $12/day internet at Hiltons.

Check In/Out: Well trained professional staff. One bell guy on at a time and they are very pleasant and not agressive. Plenty of what seems to be safe parking. There are a few spots in a garage like area, but don't count on getting one and the spaces are tiny. I have not had any issues that the staff have not been more than kind and helpful.

What is nearby? Great Cuban restaurant directly across the street. A block away is a shopping area with WinnDixie and Walmart. There is Chinese, Italian, Subway and Thai as well as a Pub. Jaz bar on the beach about two blocks North. Within a mile you will find several restaurants. Short drives North and South on A1A will have a good supply of decent restaurants.

Here is the biggest problem. Smoking. They say it is a nonsmoking hotel. Many times you are forced to run the gauntlet of smokers standing right outside the front doors of the hotel. It is always nice unpacking your car or trying to get the baby out of the car seat with a steady stream of smoke blowing into the car and onto you. During the Summer months, I noticed nothing to stop people from smoking around the pool, especially in the presence of children. There is an outside bar right next to the pool where smoking is encouraged and the smoke invades the pool area and all the balcony around the pool. It gets real good when the cigars come out. Smoking is rampant on the beach. People will smoke on their balconies which means if you are on a floor above, you cannot open your patio door or sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. It is worse if you have the sliding doors open as the smoke gets sucked into the room. If they smoke on their patio with their sliding doors open, their smoke blows right back into the room, through their door and fills the floor. And of course there are plenty of rooms that are smoked in. No no-smoking signs on balconies or in rooms probably because most smokers don't seem to see them anyway. Because they cannot control this problem this is a nonsmoking hotel in name and advertisement only.

The other issue is the towels. I believe it may be because of limited washers and dryers, but it seems that large towels are rationed and are mostly found in bare minimum in rooms and occasionally some towels seem older and dusky. Just plan on calling down each day for large towels if you have more than one person in a room or try requesting a certain amount in your room at the front desk. Also during season, towels were in short supply at the pool. You have to check out pool towels at the front desk, if they have any. I recently noticed a shipment of nice new pool towels.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Stompper
John_DePiro1665, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Stompper,

Thank you for your five star rating and very detailed review. We value your business. Our team understands the importance of our Hilton Honors guests. We appreciate all of the aforementioned comments both candid and favorable. We will utilize the details of your review to improve in all areas from the pool deck, to Wi-Fi, and of course our guest room housekeeping service. Thank you for mentioning the many positives; including the fact that you have enjoyed several of our food services and venues. On behalf of our entire team, we appreciate your time and repeat business. We look forward to hosting many more pleasant stays at the Hilton Melbourne Breach Oceanfront Hotel.

john.depiro@hilton.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!