DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
GreenLeadersGold level
nurselissa
“Very Pleased!!”
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Live in the Orlando area and wanted a quick beach stay. Got this room off of hotwire for great deal. I have never stayed at a Doubletree before. In the last 3 months i have traveled a lot for work and always stayed at Mariotts, Hilton, or Crowne Plaza so I went into this hotel used to having a great experience.

Well I can say this place was better than any I've stayed at recently! The staff were great, getting the cookies at check in where just what my kids needed at the time and it was it took to make them declare this was the best hotel ever!

Speaking of check in, they let us check in 2 hrs early! So we checked in and headed straight to the pool. The pool was great, nice and large! It also had the one thing that I personally think makes or breaks a FL pool....all day long so part of the pool is shaded! The hot tub was nothing to write home about but who cares, it was 100 degrees out! But the water in the pool was PERFECT! The beach access was easy too. We didn't spend too much time at the beach since we go all most every weekend and my kids just wanted to swim in different pool than our own.

The rooms where big and clean! The bed was better than any that I've slept in this year, beating out 4 and 5 star hotels all over FL!

Here are my 3 complaints (not really even complaints)
1.) the elevator takes you up but you have to walk outside too get to your room. I think all the hotels in the area are like this though. Didn't bother my husband or kids, just me cause Im kinda spoiled.
2) the bath rooms where tiny, could barely shut the door and no bathtub. not really an issue, and like I said the rest of the room was LARGE.
3) the room had a microwave and it was down low in the part of the room that the sleeper sofa was in. Of course my 2 and 5 yr old wanted to try to microwave everything. So we had to really watch them.

Did I mention that the rooms are kind of devided, the first half has a small table, sofa, fridge, microwave and tv then the sink....all very spacious. Then the 2nd half of the room which for us had a king size bed and tv, there is a pocket door that you can use to seperate the rooms if you want to, We didn't...see microwave comment above.

Overall we loved the place and are planning to spend another night there weekend after next!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank nurselissa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I read the negative reviews before arrival and was nervous but Priceline had dealt the destiny and so we were off. I gotta tell you...this is not the newest hotel on the block but it is very clean and the rooms are great. The fitness center was closed but they were offering the use of the Hilton Fitness Center down the road. When I looked in the Doubletree fitness area the reason it was closed is it looked as though they had spent about 40 grand on new equipment and were finishing a remodel. The beach is right out the door and the staff is great. I am in a group of 4 rooms and they are all satisfactory. The rooms all are suites that I could see and have an area with a couch and small refrigerator and then a seperate room with a great bed and excellent view of the beach. The Ritz, it ain't, but it is a very nice,comfortable,clean,family friendly and service oriented property. So...LIGHTEN UP.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
orlando
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I really cannot understand how people can leave such nice reviews for this old, mid-sixties place. I could not sleep a single night in it. The sheets were dirty, the pillows had some hairs in them, there is no bathtub, just a shower, the furniture is old and full of stains, the tv set is from mid 80's, the towells dirty and the garbage old from previous guests. Even the lobby of the hotel is full with out-dated furniture, has poor airconditioning and is straight nasty. My wife and I were in and out of that place in half an hour. We cancelled the rest of the stay and preferred to stay at the hilton by the airport instead of with dumpster. Definitely pay more and get the hilton hotel on the beach just a mile away.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Markhotel, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 26 May 2010
Thank you for your feedback inrefernce to your experience at our hotel. I am sincerely sorry that you did not find our accommodations up to your standards, but as you stated, there have been many positive reviews of our property. The charm and decor of our hotel has gotten many positive comments and brings a sense of the beach right to the hotel.

As far as the dirty sheets and cleaniliness issues you encountered, I must apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. Our TV's in our rooms are 32 inch flat screen units that will be replaced in 2011 per Doubletree standards with 32 inch Flat Panel LCDHD TV's. We clearly state on our website that only a few rooms contain tubs as the majority of the rooms have showers only, but with full bathrooms and vanity dressing area located outside of the shower.

Again, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We hope that you will use one of our HIlton family Brands in the area the next time you do return to Melbourne if the Doubletree is not the right hotel for you.
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We stayed at this hotel the last week of March thru first weekend in April. We usually stay at the Radisson, down the street, but they were booked so we thought we would give this hotel a try. We were pleasantly surprised! The best part about this hotel is the access to the beach from the hotel...you can lounge at the pool under an umbrella and then take a walk along the shore for relaxation...the pool is not HUGE, so no sleeping in if you want a pool chair! I am in agreement with some of these reviews, as the only drawback is the timeliness of the housekeeping staff.....we were out of the room, early most days, my husband golfed and I am a sun worshipper, however, even when we returned in the evenings, housekeeping had not attended to the room....so most days we would just ask for fresh towels and be done with it....with two people, it wasn't such a bother, but it is lacking and worth mentioning.
And someone mentioned the stairwells.......YUCK.......they were definitely unkempt during our visit and smelled quite frankly, like urine. We would either enter through the hotel lobby and take the elevator or hold our breath and walk quickly....but whatever can be done to eliminate that odor would be a positive!
We are returning to the Melbourne area in August. We are trying to decide if we should return to the Radisson or go back to the Doubletree.
Overall, the Doubletree is a nice place to stay. We were pleasantly surprised. The location and the beachfront is great...I found several sand dollars and great shells during that week.
In closing, who doesn't love the warm, chocolate chip cookies they greet you with? That is a plus and just says, 'welcome, we are glad you are here'.....

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MDKarenT
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2010

After some problems with the resort, the general manager went out of his way to solve all our concerns. Therefore, we are going to give this hotel a second try. If the attention the management gave to solving all our issues is reflected in the quality of our next stay, it will be a wonderful getaway.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phancy86
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Stayed 5 nights at the Double Tree in Melbourne in late APR 2010 - nice hotel with good service, however, as other reviews note - they have a bathroom so tiny it is hard to close the door once inside. The TV's are dated and need replacement and the number of channels is very few. The fitness room was closed for our entire stay so we were offered use of the fitness room at the Hilton a mile or so away. We tried to move to the Hilton but it did not have availability - definitely worth a few more $. On the positive side this hotel has a nice pool and spa and same outside furniture as hilton, (except the Hilton has padded lounges - definitely nicer). The beach is wonderful and uncrowded and just a few steps from the pool. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Pool side bar and grill had a nice menu and fairly reasonably priced, but the drinks were way overpriced.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bikehawk47
limerick
Reviewed 16 April 2010

My partner and my son and I stayed at this hotel from 30th of March - 12th April '10. We had such a wonderful time. The rooms were lovely well laid out and very clean modern and cleaned daily.... Location perfect right on the beach. We've stayed in Melbourne Florida before at another hotel (the Radisson) but this one was much more suited as it had a holiday feel with families on vacation whereas the Rad was more business orientated... it was good but not as nice as the Doubletree. I honestly cannot say anything bad about this hotel the staff (very friendly) the resturants - the staff at the pool restaurant - Sue in particular was lovely... food great... We will be back that's for sure and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay at a friendly holiday hotel in Melbourne in Florida ... 10 out of 10 for sure....!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CarEoin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront