“Good food, nice ambience, good service, a bit pricey for what you get”
Review of Cedar's Cafe

Cedar's Cafe
Ranked #94 of 454 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My wife and I ate at Cedar's before going to a show at the King Center located "sort of down the block." We were lucky to get inside seats because we had no reservations and from the conversation around us, many were also going to the show. So, reservations are a good idea, particularly on show nights. There is outdoor seating, but it was a bit humid for eating outside.

The restaurant is fairly small and the atmosphere is nice. The tables for two are very small. If you order a couple of different dishes, you might run out of space. The service was good and reasonably attentive. I was impressed that they allowed my wife to taste several different wines before she ordered her glass.

The food was excellent and was arranged very artfully on the plate. The menu was not real large. I wanted a gyro, but they do not serve them wrap style at dinner so I got a gyro plate. It was very good.

My wife ordered kafta kebob with grape leaves. The grape leaves were decent in that they were not mushy, often a complaint. The kafta kebob was served on a bed of different vegetables. The kebob was flat instead of the usual round and it seemed like a smaller amount than we are used to. All in all, the food was delicious.

The soft drinks are from bottles and therefore there are no refills.

Although we have a favorite Middle Eastern Restaurant, Petra's, closer to where we live, we would go back to Cedar's if we were doing something in the area.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Very small restaurant in a strip shopping center. Inside was full so sat at one of several tables outside on sidewalk. Was actually very nice and romantic. My girlfriend and I had a very nice bottle of wine. Waiter was very good, brought several bottles out to sample. Love the chicken skewers. White sauce a bit much--suggest ordering on the side if at all. Didn't go into the actual restaurant but it's rated as a very nice atmosphere. Will go back.

1  Thank ChrisC-Ohio
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I have been here several times, and I really enjoyed the food. Just about everything on the menu is worth a try. It has many of the typical Mediterranean dishes such as, gyros, grape leaves, falafels, and tabouli. They have mostly meat options including skewers, and they do offer a couple vegetarian dishes. The place has a nice ambience, though it is small. The service has always been very good, and the prices are very fair. If you like Lebanese food definitely give it a try!

1  Thank greenygreen777
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We tried Cedar's Cafe based on reviews on Trip advisor. We saw many good comments. so, we took the long drive just to eat there. We tried the (3) item sampler that was highly recommend by our server. I told our server that we wanted the absolute best items on the menu. So, we took our servers suggestion and got the falafel, grape leaves and some kind cold pinto bean that they got out of a can. We never in our life eaten food that was this gross before. I would love to write some positive comments about this place but, I would be lying. I couldn't eat there again even if it was free. Maybe their friends and relatives added the good comments.into trip advisor for them. Sorry, I was very disapointed !!!!!

1  Thank Nolalady34
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Nice selection of authentic Lebanese Cuisine. You will definitely bring home left-overs. I enjoyed the Kafta for 2 meals. Hidden in a store front location next to Panera Bread.

1  Thank Papagobbler