“Horrible!”
Review of Surfcaster Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne Beach
Surfcaster Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Horrible!”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night for only one night. The room was smelly and dirty. The first thing I noticed was the stench when we walked into the room. It was a mix of air freshener, mildew and sulfur. The room was had a small kitchen, but I would never have prepared food in there. When there is insect bate sitting on the countertop, it is not a good sign.

The water was disgusting. It smelled like reclaimed water, and if you live in Florida, you will recognize the rotten egg, sulfur smell that reclaimed water has. I took a shower and felt disgusting afterwards. My hair smelled like the water. The sink had the same water so imagine washing your face or brushing your teeth. They really need to have their pipes inspected or to install a filtration system.

The walls are paper thin. I didn't sleep all night because the neighbors had their television on from the evening until we left at 9am. It was loud. Of course, there is no one to call because there was no one in the office from 4pm to 10am.

I certainly wasn't expecting a 4 star hotel. A friend booked the room and told us it was $89/night, but when we checked in, it was $120. This is what we got for $120. No sleep, a shower that made me actually feel dirtier than when I walked off of the beach, and bugs crawling on the counters. For the amount of money we paid, we should have gotten much more.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CiCiH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Meinersen
Reviewed 23 February 2013

the biggest disadvantage was the really bad smell of the bed, the room, the bath and the water. You won't recognize it in the first moment because of the strong smell according to the air freshener but in the jams you find it musty smell several day. I have to put it in a plasic bag to aviod the all clothes in the suitcase smell as bad.
secondly the furniture was haggled from decades of use but tastefull in the design.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne Beach hotels

Canton, GA
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I had a great stay at the motel in November. I went to fish. Access to the beach was fantastic, just outside the door with no road to cross. The surf was towering, but that was not the fault of the hotel owners. :) Yes, the water was stinky, but that has to do with the municipal water supply and they can't do much about that. The rooms were very clean, and I liked the tile floors. That's the way to go at the beach. This is a 50s style Florida hotel, and if you go with a good attitude you will be pleased as I was. I grew up in Florida and knew what to expect. I was very happy with my stay at the beach and I'll be back sometime before too long when the Atlantic is more peaceful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The Surfcaster isn't all its cracked up to be, My wife and I spent two nights there and yes while it is "So-So", we experienced other little problems. 1- No cold water in face bowl in bath. Faucet broken. Indications show apparently for a period of time 2- Electrical extension cords being used in place of hard wiring for the A/C and some light fixtures. 3-You have to make your own bed. No maid service. 4- Two small cockroaches on the bed were eleminated by the roomer. 5- I mentioned this to the manager and sort of received an attitude of "OH,WELL!!" about it.

Room Tip: For the $85.00 that paid, Go to a chain motel/hotel such as Marriott,etc
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dennis W
Tybee Island, Georgia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

right on the beach this updated old florida style hotel is great to surf from during the day and watch turtles lay eggs at night. The rooms have tile floor since it was impossible to keep out all of the sand. Pizza joint attached to the Hotel was very good as well.

Room Tip: for the family 7 and 8nboth have kitchens
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed there for one night during spring break, that was terrible when we went in the bathroom, the tap water is stinky, didn't dare to use the water to brush our teeth. Can't really open the bathroom window, it was broken! Only have a quick shower, can't stand the smell. Although we closed the bathroom door when we sleep, we could still smell it, bed isn't comfortable, pillow is too small and thin, can't sleep well. Although it's close to the beach, but the room doesn't have ocean view, the room is very dark, no window.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The Motel is in transition with friendly and hospitable new owners. It is older, but very clean and reasonably priced. Situated on a beautiful private beach. With all the plans for updating by new owners this hotel will soon be a gem by the sea. Kind enough to bring extra towels and whip up a delicious pizza after hours.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Sea View Inn
Sea View Inn
#3 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Surfcaster Motel? Share your experiences!