“Bed Bugs!!! Be Warned!”
Review of Surfcaster Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne Beach
Surfcaster Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Well, during my stay at the Surfcaster, I noticed I was getting insect bites in my sleep. Thinking it was gnats or mosquitoes let in through coming in and out of the house, I let it go (though I must tell you, I had approximately fifty bites by the time I left).

I got home, and within a few days, the bites returned, and this time, were much worse.

My pest control company explained the problem: BED BUGS. My room at the Surfcaster was FULL OF THEM and I BROUGHT THEM HOME WITH ME.

So, needless to say, I'm itchy and irate. It's costing me quite a bit to exterminate them from my home using harsh chemicals that are unsafe for my kids and my dog, yet I have no choice. It's that or continue to be chewed alive at night by my unwelcome transients from the Surfcaster.

Further, while we were there, I must note that the restaurant, Rosatis, was nothing spectacular. It's governed by a bunch of young employees who have a hard time processing orders or dealing with customers.

The owners, while we were there, were quite nice to us during our stay.

That, however, doesn't make up for my infestation. Be very very wary before you book a room at the Surfcaster. You could get way more than you bargained for.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jboudreau
LEC5935, Owner at Surfcaster Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2009

Our exterminator feels that this problem had to have come from another guest or from soneone's pet because this was the only room effected. We got rid of all bedding and curtains and isolated the room for a week and have not had another situation since. Our exterminator takes pride in his work as we take pride in the cleanlyness of our rooms.
we can only offer our sincerest applogizes for isolated situations.

Reviewed 22 August 2007

My friend and I just wanted a weekend away from the husbands to go fishing and I found this place on the web. Only 8 units but the owners and manager were wonderful! Made us feel right at home. We were only there 2 nights but I could definately stay longer. The rates are great, right on the beach. Got to see sea turtles trying to nest and the room was very very clean. Great little mom and pop place with just the right atmosphere!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank debmkay
Reviewed 28 July 2006

Please DO not go here expecting the Ritz Carlton--that, it isn't--or if you are into all inclusive resorts and prefab architecture, THIS ISN'T the place for you. However, it has the charm/friendliness of old Florida and simpler times. The innkeepers are lovely and onsite--working hard and running the restaurant--but are low key and understated. The property is right on the beach, no pool, but who cares, you've got the ocean! The beach boasts incredible sea life and herons and crains are right there! Accommodations are roomy and private, plus pets are allowed so entire place is friendly and open.

The woman who ran the front desk was so helpful and friendly--they have videos, books to borrow, etc--and suggested we go sea kayaking at a nearby fish camps. This was absolutely incredible and relaxing--would strongly recommend as we saw a manatee!!! Will definitely go back to this charming place--so ez to get to from Orlando and truly relaxing and an escape. Bring a beach chair!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank kloot
Reviewed 12 March 2006

My husband and I traveled from Key West to Washington DC last week and after searching on the computer for a nice place to stop for a night, I picked Melbourne Beach and the Surfcaster Motel. We drive to Key West every year for a month and I look for places to stop on the way to Key West and the way back home. I am always trying to find a new place and one of the nights this year was spent in Melbourne. The Surfcaster Motel is a small old fashioned kind of motel...just what I was looking for. A little funky, but clean and comfortable. We loved that it was right on the beach...too bad all the rooms don't face the ocean, but its only steps away.

They also have a nice little Italian restaurant right there at the motel which we went to. We had some great salads, and a really good pizza. As a chef and ownner of a gourmet restaurant, I am always looking for different kinds of ideas, foods and places. They served us some really nice bread and a bowl of herbs and roasted garlic that we poured a nice olive oil into to dip the bread in. It was a nice touch. We each ordered different salads and both were great. The antipasta salad and the greek salad. We had a nice pepperoni pizza and thought it was a great pizza. Everyone has their own thoughts on what the perfect pizza is, and this one was ours. We don't like a lot of crust and this had just enough. The sauce and chesse and pepperoni's were all just the right amount and had great flavors. Prices were very reasonable and they had some very good priced wines. Not an expensive, fine dining restaurant, but a great comfortable, good quality place. Everyone was friendly, and our service was very good. We will definitely go back and of course eat at Rosati's again!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank patsysgourmet
New York, New York
Reviewed 8 November 2005

I stayed at the Surfcaster Motel in March, 2005. The
rooms were IMMACULATE --- maid service came every day. I NEVER saw a "roach", or any other insect for that matter. In fact, I've already informed the owners of my intention to stay at the Surfcaster again next year!

I ate several times at Rosati's, the Italian restaurant that adjoins the Surfcaster. The food was absolutely top-notch, with a "homestyle" flavor!

The Surfcaster is VERY "pet-friendly" --- which is
what they advertise. The motel staff (and fellow guests!) were MARVELOUS with my dog Tyler... He was
treated with kindness and warmth --- just as if he were a "people" guest!

The Surfcaster's location on the beach is PERFECT.... Also, the motel is close to a local shopping center (Driftwood Plaza) with a Publix supermarket. In the room where I stayed there was a fine kitchen to cook what I bought at the Publix, so every night did not have to be an expensive evening out at a restaurant! There's also an inexpensive, but quite good, Chinese restaurant named Wok's in the shopping center.

I highly recommend the Surfcaster.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boise
Reviewed 7 August 2005

I stayed here with a friend for a week, and we enjoyed it very much! The hurricane damage is still evident on the exterior, but the interior of our unit was clean and tidy, and there are stairs down to the beach. Rosati's isn't five-star Italian, but we had a reasonably good dinner there with friendly service. I would definitely go back.

Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 May 2005

I have never been so disgusted and appauled by a motel. The sheets were dirty and stained, the room smelled of must, and there were dead roaches in the bathroom. I guess that's what you get for having your motel right next to a filthy restaurant, whose food is HORRIBLE by the way. I found the employees to be most unhelpful with any of my complaints. They were very rude and dismissed every concern my wife and I had. This is by far they dirtiest, most decrepit and run down place I've ever been. Looking for an dirty, vermin infested hole with terrible food? This is the hotel for you.

Stayed: March 2005
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Sea View Inn
Sea View Inn
#3 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Surfcaster Motel? Share your experiences!