“An honest review”
Review of Port d'Hiver

Port d'Hiver
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend trip to Port d'Hiver to celebrate his 42nd birthday. We had a great time. Positives about the resort: the staff is really friendly, breakfast is great, love the video library where you can get DVDs to watch in your room, the bed in our room (Elle Belle) was amazing, also love that they provide beach chairs, towels, snacks, beach toys, etc, the wine hour was great too! There are many positives about the resort. I was torn about whether to rate it excellent or very good. The reason I chose very good was because some things were a little a miss. The first night we were there we didn't get a turn down service which was unfortanate because we were looking forward to tasting the homemade treat that is left on the pillow every night. We did get it the second night, and it was awesome. Also when our room was cleaned we weren't replenished with toilet paper or soap. We had to call for toilet paper, which isn't really a big deal just a little inconvenient. It was brought up promptly in like 2 minutes after we called. So these things weren't really that big of a deal. The other thing was that the room beside us was going through some renovations during the day, and it was a little loud when we were trying to nap and rest. So just a few things that made the place slightly less than perfect. We will however probably give it another try because we realize that these things happen sometimes. I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast for a romantic weekend get away. Personally I wouldn't stay longer than a long weekend just because of the location. It's in a cute, sleepy little town where there isn't really that much to do. My husband and I were there for a romantic weekend, and that's what we had!!! :)

Room Tip: As others have said, if you're a light sleeper, do not choose a room in the main house.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Spent our two year anniversary here and it was well worth every penny. We stayed in the Creole room and although that room doesn't have a view it's pretty spacious with a large bathroom: stand up glass shower and spa jetted tub. Breakfast was delicious and employees are extremely courteous and helpful. Very relaxing trip and Port D'hiver made our anniversary that much more special!!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This was the first time in a B&B for my wife and I...WOW is all I can say. It will be tough for all the others to live up to the expectations set by Port D' Hiver! It was a little pricey but when you think of what all is included for that price it is well worth it. I do recommend the Creole Room, but I will be eagerly looking forward to trying them all because we are definitely coming back.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Beautiful B&B set just across the road from Melbourne Beach. The staff were excellent and knew the area well, lots of good suggestions on restaurants, both in walking distance and a short drive.
Our room was great with a small balcony with a ocean view, bliss. There was a choice of breakfast dishes, most a little sweet for my taste, but well presented. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This was our first time staying in a bed and breakfast. We decided on coming to port d'hiver after researching romantic b and bs for our anniversary! I read all the wonderful reviews here and thought we would give it a try. I am here to say everything has been even better than expected. First the staff are so friendly and accommodating! Your every need has been thought of. You are greeted so warmly and made to feel very special. Second the room is amazing. We stayed in the Havana. The online pictures are very accurate but the room is even better in person. We had chilled champagne, fresh fruit and fresh cut flowers waiting in our room. These touches really make this bed and breakfast over the top. Third, the grounds and layout foster privacy and relaxation. Lush landscaping and trees provided us privacy on our balcony. We enjoyed breakfast our first morning on our balcony. The staff made us dinner reservations at the chart house where we were taken care of. We had a wonderful seat in the restaurant and a complementary dessert. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Havana was a great room! King sized bed. Nice and roomy with small sitting area. Pool view. We h...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I just checked out of this precious bed & breakfast. We were only there for one full day and night but had the best time. From the moment we arrived we were greeted, toured, and walked to our Havana Room. After we settled in we walked across the street to "sands on the beach" for lunch. If you are wanting a simple but great lunch, This is worth it we had salads and paninis. They also offered local fresh shucked oysters. Following lunch we returned to portdhiver for some relaxing time in the pool before light hors, beer and wine were offered in the office from 5-6. The owner even offered drinks to us poolside. The shrimp cocktail and cuban ring offered hit the spot. Also my husband loved the locally brewed beer. To finish we had the homemade cookies that we unbelievable. One of the innkeepers Mike was so nice and informative we felt right at home.
After beers and hors we took a nap in the most comfortable bed EVER!
Mike suggested Djons for dinner which is within walking distance and a nice quaint walk at sunset. We had soup and salads in the lounge and enjoyed the Red Shoe piano bar.

This morning breakfast was not only delivered to our room but set up so perfectly on our balcony. I don't think we can eat for the entire day....this breakfast was amazing! !!!! We were told that The owner makes the breakfast each morning homemade. My husband loved the hashbrown casserole and carmel French toast. To say the least he had to nap before we got on the road.

Overall my husband and I enjoyed every moment at the PortdHiver. We are celebrating our 2nd year anniversary and this was the perfect place to start.

Thank you for our welcome anniversary card, and hospitality. We will recommend your B&B to everyone.

Thanks again
Chris & Tiffany Ellison

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This was the very best "home away from home" feel we have EVER experienced. This past weekend was the first B&B stay for either of us and we cannot stop talking about it... seriously. We chose to get away for the weekend for our 2nd anniversary so that we'd relax (staying home, even taking a day off of work - doesn't cut it for us; we WILL find something to do haha)... and this was PERFECT. As soon as we arrived, every detail of Port d'Hiver Bed and Breakfast left us with mouths gaping. The staff's hospitality was exceptional. The different room options - exquisite. We couldn't decide if we wanted to keep this as our little secret, or send all our friends and family the suggestion... but Port d'Hiver is too amazing not to share!! We can't wait to come back! — with Christopher Liberatore.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong in the room you choose. Hubby and I got to tour a few empty rooms for next ti...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
19 mi away
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place

Been to Port d'Hiver? Share your experiences!