“Single Vision Endangered Species Preserve (near Gainesville, Fla.)”
Review of Single Vision Inc.

Single Vision Inc.
Gainesville, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Single Vision Endangered Species Preserve (near Gainesville, Fla.)”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

It's an incredible experience. Single Vision is a small facility with 4 full-grown tigers and a lioness; 2 tiger cubs; a lion cub; 3 panthers; a black leopard; 2 bobcats; and some lemurs, Prevost squirrels, kinkajous, alligators, and other animals.

On the regular tour (about $10 per person), the owner (Carl) went into each big-cat enclosure and interacted with the cats while explaining things about them.

It was amazing to see the warmth and affection that those cats have for Carl (including the 600-lb tiger) . During the tour, I got to feed grapes to lemurs and Prevost squirrels. I've had 3 regular tours (about 20-30 minutes each).

I had two cub-interaction sessions ($150 for up to 4 people, available while cubs are small enough for human interaction).

My first cub-interaction was in July 2013. I was alone and spent a half hour interacting with two tiger cubs and one lion cub. (See photos.) It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

My second cub-interaction was in August 2013. I was with my friend, her two children, and their grandmother. We interacted only with the smaller tiger cub. (See photo.) The kids loved it.

Melrose is about 25 minutes from Gainesville and Palatka. It's about an hour from St. Augustine and a bit over an hour from Jacksonville. Single Vision is definitely worth the drive from those other cities, and you could have lunch or dinner afterward at a Melrose restaurant like Blue Water Bay (I did).

GET DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM SINGLE VISION, because GPS and mapquest will get you lost (apparently those methods haven’t fully integrated rural areas).

Two links follow (the Facebook page has more updated photos than the website):

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SingleVision

Website: http://www.singlevisioninc.org/

Visited August 2013
7 Thank Deb C

Orlando, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“This has been my favorite event in Florida in the past 3 years!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Oh my gosh! This was *SO* awesome!!! It's a very small one person operation and worth every second. One of the tiger cubs is still small enough to interact with. There are a ton of really interesting exotic animals and different packages available to interact with them.

This guy rescues exotic pets when uninformed people get them then find out they're too much for them to handle. I've never been a big fan of zoos because I always feel a bit guilty that the animals are caged. These animals all have very large well designed areas to play in and they seem extremely happy. When he goes in the cage and they cuddle and nuzzle him, you can tell they're extremely content with where they live. You can tell that his interactions with them is based on trust and kindness. Each animal gets a significant amount of time outside their areas each day to roam. It made me happy to be able to contribute to a place that was taking such terrific care of animals.

There are lemurs, exotic squirrels, a turtoise, many different kinds of exotic tigers, alligators, exocit birds and oh my gosh, the cubs! SO awesome!!! Never in my life did i expect to actually be able to pet one and play with it like a regular cat!!! (There were also a few cats and large docile dogs roaming around amongst the tortoise and cub in the interaction area. They all just got along like some sort of futuristic utopian society!)

They're all extremely friendly and domesticated. We all went yesterday (8/15) and the cub will only be small enough to play with until 9/15. After that, there'll still be a bunch of other really cool exotic animals to interact with.

We went at 10:00AM which was perfect because we were the first group to interact with the cub. Also, you definitely want to wear long pants because it's very playful (just like a kitten) except his teeth and claws are much larger.

The tour included meeting and learning about all the animals and where they came from as well as lots of time with the cub. Definitely bring your camera!

I'm not sure if the cub interaction is the best idea for really young children as they can startle animals and might be a bit too small (the cub will really paw at you and nibble like a kitten but with bigger claws and teeth), so find a baby sitter for them and do this before you lose the opportunity to ever do it again! :)

This is a private residence way off the beaten path and there aren't any bathroom/food facilities available so but there's a gas station about a mile away. I'd definitely stop and use the bathroom, get a drink etc before getting there.

From Orlando, it took us about 2 hours to drive there but this truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If there is only one thing you do outside the theme parks, this is *definitely* the one you want to pick!

For the cub interaction, it cost us $150 for four people. Each additional person is an extra fee. I believe the whole tour was supposed to be 30 minutes, but what we actually got was a 30 minute tour meeting all the animals, then a 30 minute interaction with the cub.

Due to the drive time, you may want to consider adding a second interaction. The lemurs were VERY high on my list, but unfortunately a family arrived and we didn't have time to do it. We'll definitely be making the drive again to do both before time runs out with the cub.

Visited August 2013