“Okay but OLD!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Merritt Island
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Okay but OLD!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I and our sons recently stayed at this Clarion for a night while waiting for our apartment to be ready to move into and as a frequent traveler and Choice Rewards Diamond Member, I expected way more from a Clarion branded location. The hotel is very old and as you drive up the first thing you see is the night club and sports bar signs on the front of the building. Needless to say, that was concerning to us as we had kids with us.

The concern proved to be a non-issue as we never heard any noise from either of them. We were given a courtyard side room on the second floor and while it was okay, it struck me as a very old building that had not seen an upgrade in many years. Most of the room was basically clean but the bathroom was lacking and someone really needs to vacuum behind the door.

We noted some mold on the ceiling above the tub, dirty fixtures in the tub, a wooden block holding up the air conditioner unit and the door that did not fit well. It was hard to open and hard to close the door without pushing and pulling on the thing as you keyed it and gap under it could have let a gator through but thankfully, there were none around. The toilet seat was a bit, well, old and worn as well. The table in the room had a peeling top but was very sturdy.

Breakfast was included in the room cost and a voucher issued for one of four choices, prepared and served in the sports bar just off the lobby. Again, this part of the building is quiet old. The booth we sat in was very uncomfortable and they appeared to be very understaffed but the meal was okay. A lot of it cam from a can without a doubt but hey, it was free and I have had worse at hotels.

The staff was friendly and while I would likely NOT stay at this location again, it could have been a lot worse that it was. Overall I would say to be prepared for old rooms and average service/food at this hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't. That is my best advice. If you need a place for a night, it is workable but don'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Christian K
Clarionspacecoast, General Manager at Econolodge Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
I am responding to the correspondence from your stay here at the Clarion Hotel Merritt Island, Florida. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at a reasonable price. Our online information does note we are a two story building with all the amenities and services as you noted. Our cook to order complimentary breakfast is an added benefit to all our guests. At check-in and a personal welcome call our staff mentions to all guests should you have any questions or if we can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable please let us know. We gurantee 100% satisfaction, if given the opportunity to make all our guests stay comfortable. Please accept my apology, had we known you had any challenges we would make every effort to satisfy. Again thank you for your comments, we are honored and delighted to have the opportunity serving you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

You have to get to the rooms from the outside, but wasn't a problem. Despite the look of the hotel on the outside, the rooms were actually comfortable. The breakfast was excellent, which you get a voucher for its restaurant on-site. The staff were really nice. We didn't get to use the pool, but it looked like they have a tiki bar there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovinlife0101
Clarionspacecoast, General Manager at Econolodge Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise about the attention you experienced while you stayed at our hotel. We try to go over and beyond the call of duty for all of our guests. I have informed our guest service agents and the housekeeping department about your compliments.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

Again, let me thank you for your kind words. We’re committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here September 2013. This is a VERY old hotel that can really use a major upgrade. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The restaurant was clean and the food was okay. For Islanders, you would love the fact that they serve GRITS! Lots of restaurants in the area to choose from: Red Lobster across the street, Burger King next door to the left, Olive Gardens, and my favourite: LONGHORNS, just to name a few.
If you love shopping, Walmart is 2 minutes to the left and the Mall is across the street - Dillards, Macy, Sears and JCP. There is also a movie theatre.
The room had too much furniture, but it was clean. The bathroom is really old and could do with some new fixtures. The maid did leave more than enough towels, which was a plus.
The parking lot was clean and but really scary looking. A lot of police frequent the area so I don't know if the area is a problem area, but we didn't have any incidents.
BTW (3 adults 1 child) you have to pay for the 3rd Adult in the room. LOL

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Carrolb312
Clarionspacecoast, General Manager at Econolodge Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how nice it was to receive your kind words of praise about the attention you experienced while you stayed at our hotel. We try to go over and beyond the call of duty for all of our guests. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices.

We are constantly upgrading our facilities and more major upgrades is in the works.

The hotel and surrounding area in Merritt Island is noted as a safe city. Law enforcement builds relationships with visitors and residents. Their visits to our location is very welcoming since they recommend guests to stay with us.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you. And, It's only through the eyes of our guests that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

Again, I want to apologize for items that did not meet your expectations and thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Genaral Manager
Hollywood, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel is located on the main drag on Merritt Island. The hotel was clean, service outstanding and food was great. The hotel is very old and does not appear to have had any major overhaul in a very long time. The room was a bit musty probably due to age.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David D
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how nice it was to receive your kind words of praise about the attention you experienced while you stayed at our hotel. We try to go over and beyond the call of duty for all of our guests. On the same hand, I was concerned about the mistake we had overlooked. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

Please accept my sincere apology. We are constantly upgrading our facilities and more upgrades is in the works.

Again, I want to apologize for items that did not meet your expectations and thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Genaral Manager
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was looking for a hotel not too far from the beach or from Cocoa and I thought this would work. I should have known differently when entering the parking lot. The staff are very friendly and the landscaping is nice but I guess they are the only positives. This is a place where I wouldn't leave anything in your vehicle. The room was very old and musty. The bathroom was just gross. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night nor going to the mall across the street because there are barely any stores in the place. Save yourself the headache and not stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kyle J
Thank you for taking the time in sharing with us on your stay.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology. We guarantee 100% satisfaction, our staff had mentioned while giving keys for the room if we can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable or any concerns. Please let us know, we would immediately resolve. Had we known you were unhappy we would immediately resolve.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Should you be visiting the area again please call me and I will be honored to personally offer you a discounted rate and let you see any room you can choose from.

321-452-7711

Travellers are raving about these Merritt Island hotels

Wellington, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights recently for business. I thought the management and staff were very courteous, but the rooms were outdated and the hotel is very old. I would not plan on staying here again.

There are some positives, like I mentioned everyone on the staff and management was extemely nice, and they have a very good breakfast. Also, the location is great with the Publix nearby and several restaurants

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Trying to find a clean and comfortable hotel at an affordable price during Spring Break is quite a difficult task! This place was priced right where I wanted but I wasn't looking forward to the stay. When I got there I was greeted with great customer service! The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the towels weren't to terribly scratchy. The free breakfast at the sports bar was probably the icing on the cake! Omlets, pancakes, etc for free! The only problem I had was the laundry. They need to update the prices that are in the hotel rooms. There is also a nightclub next door that is kind of sketchy...just remember to lock your doors!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank bigselhorst
Clarionspacecoast, General Manager at Econolodge Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share you experience on your stay with us. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. It is an honor to have you stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Oral Ali
Clarion Hotel Port Canaveral Area, 260 E. Merritt Island Cswy., Merrtt Island, FL 32952
1.800.584.1482
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merritt Island
Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral
BEST WESTERN Cocoa Beach Hotel & Suites
International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral - Cocoa Beach
Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Econolodge Port Canaveral Area? Share your experiences!