“excellent service, poor location”

Hilton Miami Downtown
Ranked #33 of 128 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 4 April 2012

me and my partner flew over to Miami for wrestlemania week, the hotel was part of a travel package. hotel looks good from the outside, nicely decorated inside. The staff were very friendly and helpful. the first and second day we got there, the pool closed at 3pm for a private function which we felt was unfair, one of the main reasons you choose a certain hotel Is because if the pool. Plus the beach is over half an hour sway by bus. we were not given a partial refund for the pool being closed. When the pool was open, it had great double sunbeds. There is a pool bar too. the room was lovely, bed was very comfortable, good view of downtown, very clean. Although we didn't stay in the room too much, the tv had poor signal and you have to pay for wifi. we ate in the hotel restaurant for breakfast, great choice of food but is costly, there's nowhere else nearby to have breakfast. we also had dinner there one night which was beautiful. I don't recommend room service, as when my food arrived they had ran out of what I'd ordered so substituted it with something else without telling me! They didn't charge us for the meal. there is a shopping centre called Bayside that Is 10m walk from the hotel which has a good choice of restaurants. if you don't want to walk you can use the metromover which is a free tram.

• Stayed: March 2012
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Miami Downtown during your recent trip to enjoy Wrestlemania week. While it is disappointing to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay with us, we are glad that it did not impact your visit completely. It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed comfortable accommodations, our beautiful views and dining options. Your comments will be discussed with our management team to see how best we can improve on the areas mentioned. We hope you will stay again and provide us with the opportunity to fully impress you with all we have to offer.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,905)

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Arrived on 24 March in the late evening and had a reservation for two beds, using HHonors (Diamond) points. Waited for 20 minutes in line to check-in as a fellow guest was checking out because he had enough of this hotel because his room had not been cleaned in three days. After waiting twenty minutes, I kindly asked the young lady who was dealing with this guest if there was anyone else who could help me. She finally went to the back and came back five minutes later with Josette, who after typing into her computer for a good ten minutes, told me that there were no rooms available with two beds and that she was going to give me a room with one king bed and a roll-away. I told Josette that this was unacceptable and that I wanted to speak to the manager. She went to the back to get the manager, came back after ten minutes and told me that he would be right with me, and asked me to step aside while she helped other guests. I waited another twenty minutes and Kenneth Chao, Manager on Duty, finally came out and told me that he could do nothing for me as the hotel did not have any more rooms with two beds. Kenneth than offered to give me a roll-away bed. Given that it had been over an hour since I arrived at the check-in desk, I accepted this arrangement as Kenneth told me that he would also reimburse the Hilton HHonors points that I had used for the stay.
I then proceeded with my family to the room, which was not very clean. After waiting for forty five minutes for the roll away bed, I called the front desk and Josette told me that the roll-away was on its way. Fifteen minutes later, Kenneth calls me to tell me that there were no more roll-away beds and that he would have to give me another room on the same floor (why this option was not offered to me initially is beyond me) and that security would bring me the key to that other room. After waiting another half an hour and not receiving the key, I went down to the front desk to personally speak with Kenneth. Upon arriving at the front desk, Josette greeted me and told me that Kenneth would be right with me. Another five minute wait, and Kenneth came out and apologized, but told me that he could not give me a key for that other room (602) because there was a problem with the key machine making an electronic key for that room! He told me, however, that security could open the room and that he would come up to the room to make sure that this happened. He, again, apologized and assured me that I would be reimbursed my Hilton HHonors points for my stay. We then proceeded to room 602, which was opened by Hotel Security, and well over two hours after arriving, my family was able to get some rest.
Finally, you guessed it, the Hilton HHonors points that were supposed to be reimbursed to my account were not reimbursed.
On a positive note, the hotel is conveniently located - A brand new Publix supermarket is about to open within a block of the hotel. The rooms have a beautiful view of Miami, and the executive lounge is one of the nicest that I have been to.
The front desk service that I received, however, was unacceptable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ElPipo

First and foremost, we want to thank you for being a valued Hilton HHonors member. Providing exceptional service is one of the very cornerstones of our hotel and it is truly disappointing to learn that your experience was far from what we expect for our guests. Your comments will be shared with our management team. Thank you for sharing your feedback. It would be our hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence to visit with us again.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed last week for four nights while attending a convention. I had reserved a small suite, but when I tried to check it they didn't have it available. The service clerk spoke to the manager and they upgraded me one of their presidential suites.

The rooms were huge and the view of the bay and city was amazing.

Everyone I interacted with at the hotel was great.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your four-night stay at The Hilton Miami Downtown! An unexpected upgrade can be such a welcome treat and we are certainly glad you enjoyed it and found our staff to be so great. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Great hotel, everything was great. The pool was a good size, the rooms very spacious and clean. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback, we are thrilled to know you had a great stay! We look forward to your next visit to the Hilton Miami Downtown and hope it’s soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We would never have chosen this hotel but for a professional meeting we attended there. To me it is very overpriced for what it is. The restaurant service was pitiful the food was bad the prices way to high. The service was so poor that I intended to do something I have never done... leave only a 10¢ tip protesting the poorer than poor service. However, 18% was automatically added to the bill for the horrible service. Two of us were there for more than an hour before our cold food was delivered. Then after waiting for more than 30 minutes for our check we flagged one of the employees and asked for our waiter...another 20 minutes we walked to the front, told them we didn't get a check. Pitiful service, poor food. The weather was cold and no heat in the rooms. The meeting rooms were so cold you'd think they were hanging meat in them. For my money I can find a better hotel with edible food and AT LEAST reasonable service.

Room Tip: To choose a good room choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BandL830

Thank you for sharing your view point regarding our hotel; we value all feedback. It is truly disappointing to learn should a guest be unhappy with any part of their stay. We encourage our guests to share any concerns they might have during their visit so we can tend to any issues and create a better experience. We regret that you experienced any delay in our restaurant and it is unfortunate that the air temperature was not set to your desired level and hope any inconvenience was minimal. All of your comments will be shared with management as we are continuously working to improve our guest's experience and to provide the best possible services to all.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Ok, I might be a little biased because as a Hilton Gold Member, I do get some great little perks like free afternoon snacks in the exec lounge and free wi-fi but apart from that, the bed, I loved the beds! One of the comfiest I have ever slept in. The staff were so lovely and friendly despite them having to deal with some very wasted people for 3 nights running, the breakfast was lovely (scrambled eggs tasted a bit weird but loved the cheese blitzes), the pool was nice if a bit dated and they were nice enough to realise that most people staying were there for Ultra and had a DJ playing. Yes, this hotel was built over 20 years ago but if you book early enough and get a good deal for Ultra, totally worth it. It was just a 20 minute walk or short Omni ride to the festival site or Bayside shopping, a $25 ride to the aiport and $15 to the beaches so all-in-all, a great location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank T_Daly

Thank you for being a valued Hilton HHonors Gold member and for your loyalty to the Hilton brand. It is always our pleasure to provide each and every one of our guests with the best possible service in an effort to create the perfect experience for them. We are so glad you enjoyed your accommodations, dining experience and our unique rooftop pool. The Ultra Music Festival at Bayfront Park is legendary and we’re glad you had the opportunity to enjoy this sold out event. We are looking forward to welcome you back again in the future to the Hilton Miami Downtown.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I picked this hotel for it's location. We were in town for Cavalia and could walk right down the street to it.
I was actually concerned about staying here due to the poor reviews I read on trip advisor.
I found the hotel to be great. Every single staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. I'd like to compliment the valet, the bellhop, the front desk staff and the concierge.
The room was clean and large with a nice downtown view. The bathroom had an overwhelming mildew smell. I called and asked for the shower curtain to be replaced which they did right away and that problem was solved. ( I've encountered the mildew smelling shower curtains at other hiltons)
We walked at night to Bin No 18 which was good and felt very safe. We walked to and from Cavalia a few blocks down the street and felt very safe.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jjmmff625

We are thrilled to know that everyone here at the Hilton Miami Downtown made such a positive impression and that our location was perfect for your time in Miami. Many of our guests really love Cavalia which brings unique and innovative theatrical entertainment to the area and we are glad you were able to enjoy it as well. Thank you for your excellent review. We'll be looking forward to your next visit!