“Wonderful downtown Miami Hotel”

Hilton Miami Downtown
Ranked #37 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Maryland
“Wonderful downtown Miami Hotel”
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Excellent services clean and spacious rooms with great view of downtown Miami.Bar off lobby is a great hotel bar.We were given a bottle of champagne for our anniversary.The staff was very accommodating always smiling and engaging in conversation. We are looking forward to returning.We highly recommend this Hilton.

1 Thank lookingforward44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 January 2010

The hotel website clearly states that the rooms are equipped with both air conditioning AND heat. This is untrue, but the hotel staff failed to mention this until we were four room changes into our stay. When it was finally established that the hotel had NO heating system, we tried to settle into our freezing room... only to find that there was no hot water. We changed rooms again. And again. Finally, we settled for the last room. This room had warm water for part of our stay and cold water for the rest.
When we complained about the state of our room, the person at the front desk assured us that our first night would be comped. When we checked out, we were told that because we had booked through Hotwire, this would not be possible.
So, we came to Florida to be warm, and while we can't blame the record cold temperatures on the hotel or the staff, we CAN blame them for a miserably cold room, a cold shower, and an unapologetic staff, armed with nothing but lies about how they would resolve our problems.
I am so disappointed. I thought that Hilton stood for quality and service, but I have been proven wrong. As a frequent traveler, I am constantly booking rooms and talking to people about my experience. I will never recommend a Hilton again.

1 Thank kataslater
DHendrix, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 20 January 2010
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay. While we do have heat in the hotel, it is not enough to combat the record cold. There is no excuse for the hot water and this is not an issue at this hotel. I wish you would have let me know of your concerns while you were here, but I do hope if you are coming back to Miami you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Please contact me if you are coming back.

California
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I visited the Hilton in Jan' 10 with my wife. The best thing about the hotel was its location. It was pretty close to almost every place that we planned to go, so that worked out perfectly.
We got a great deal through priceline and after I told the guy (Digby) at check-in that this was a get away vacation for us, he gave us a room on the 20th floor over looking the entire city. He also gave us free breakfast for the next day, which was very nice of him as well.
The views from the room were amazing, with huge glass windows from floor to ceiling.
We didn't have all the channels available on our TV for some reason but we didn't watch much TV so it didn't matter. Also, the A/C in the room was super noisy and the only way to get rid of the noise was to turn it off.
Our only complain about the hotel was the valet parking which was $28 / night. Its impossible to find parking elsewhere as all the meters also run 24 hours with a 5 hr maximum parking limit. However, the valets were quick and very nice.
South beach is a quick 10 minute drive which was very convenient too. The hotel also has a nice outdoor swimming pool as well with a small attached bar.

US
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I stay in hotels 60-90 nights a year, so I have a pretty good perspective on how a proper hotel is run.... this is not a well-run hotel. They cater to the cruise passengers coming and going, so they have a real slam-and-jam attitiude knowing that you probably won't ever return...so why should they care?

The cleaning staff were very ineffective- fingerprints, stains, crumbs, and hairpins were there to greet us when we arrived. (And this was an upgraded suite because I brought 80 associates for meetings all week.)
*In spite of claiming "renovations", this hotel was merely painted and carpeted...it's still a 70's building with loud AC units and tired infrastructure. To exit to street level from your room, you have to take a slow and old elevator to the lobby and then yet another slow elevator to the "Motor Lobby"
*Most staff are very slow and apathetic
*Food quality is poor: a lot of the food is pre-packaged or not prepared on site, and the coffee is made from coffee concentrate, not really brewed coffee.
*Internet in sleeping rooms very slow
*Cable TV has a lot of channels, but watching it on the 15 year old TV (I thought they said they renovated?!) was problematic with static and bleed-over from the music channels.
*There is no security mechinism in place to stop bums, hustlers, and pizza advertisers from wandering the hallways
*The restaurant forces an 18% gratuity.... no incentive to provide good service. When we ate lunch on Saturday afternoon, we had to listen to three staff members talk about hair styles, extensions, and color treatments.... very inappropriate.

Summary: It's tough to get good service and accomodations in Miami AT ANY PRICE, but you would do better to search elsewhwere.

2 Thank Andriegel
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We stayed here for 2 days before our cruise out of Miami. The hotel seemed renovated and it was clean and beautiful. We had a room on the 14th floor overlooking downtown Miami. The view was amazing. The room itself was huge compared to other hotels I've stayed at. The only negative would be that they didn't come to make our beds or clean the room, but that didn't ruin our stay at the Hilton. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel close to the Miami port and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gap907
DHendrix, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 19 January 2010
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our amazing views and convenient location to all that Miami has to offer. I hope you can stay with us again soon.
California
Reviewed 17 January 2010

When we entered our hotel room, the tables were dirty, along with the floor. The shower curtain did not have any rings on the shower curtain and the the curtain was covering half the bathtub (it was ripped). The water was not even going through in the sink or the bathtub. They have serious plumbing issues. The tables had something sticky all over them. We had to call the hotel management at 12 am to get the water to go through. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. It was horibble. Please do not book it.

1 Thank serious2
NJ
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise. It was perfect for that. Many other guests were doing the same thing because it is a bit tough to get an elevator on Sunday. Tip: push the up button & go for a ride. You will not get on a down elevator. We stored our bags & explored the city Sunday morning to be behind all those people who had to be the 1st ones on board.

The lobby & public rooms are beautiful. They have generous high ceilings & magnificent foliage. The staff is gracious & truly works as a team.

After a horrible flight down the guy at the front desk was so nice, even after I bit his head off. I didn’t mean to but our travel day had been the worst. I immediately apologized after the words left my mouth. He sympathized & offered to upgrade our room. I don’t know if he did or not but we had a bit of a water view & a comfortable room. Since we booked on priceline & paid about 10% of the price listed on the door, I was thrilled. The HVAC system was noisy so we just shut it off. I would have liked a little heat; we were there during the cold snap.

The hotel was HQ for the Iowa University Alumni Association while we were there & filled with fans in town for the Orange Bowl. Except at the lobby bar & while trying to get an elevator on Sunday morning, the place could have been empty. It really is well designed.

The restaurant had good sandwiches although we didn’t care for the décor. They must have gotten slammed with unexpected diners due to the cold or something because the host and the managers were running food. To me it truly showed team work.

I was a bit disappointed that the rooftop pool was above the parking garage rather than on the 21st floor but it was only in the 50s.

The hotel is near a metro mover which we used for a “free” tour of the city. Although we saw some homeless people on the train they didn’t bother anybody.

Downtown Miami really is a ghost town on the weekend; it looked like one of those sci fi bombs that kill all the people & left the buildings was detonated.

There are 2 fast food restaurants across the street from the hotel but there wasn’t anything else visible in the area. We went over to Brickel.

1 Thank dalm0m
Thank you for your review. I wish the weather was better during your stay and I hope you can stay with us again, when we have our normal beautiful Miami sunshine.