“Must see!”

Ranked #7 of 354 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 19 August 2014

If you are a tourist to Miami, this is a wonderful must see attraction. The animals are gorgeous and healthy, and are in their natural habitat; no cages here! It's a great open space, with wide paths, so you are not bumping into people. Plan to spend the day. It's a BIG zoo! On one of our visits, we decided to rent a fun safari cycle to pedal around the zoo. This is nice on very hot days because it's shaded and creates a breeze as you pedal! Also, on very hot days, go early in the morning when the animals are out. We all seek shade when its too hot!

For locals, you must get an annual pass and use it during Miami winters when its cool. Our family uses it to get our exercise by walking the zoo and enjoying nature at its best!

Since it can get very hot in Miami, be sure to freeze a bottle of water the night before and take it with you in your bag. This can keep you cool, save you a little money, and tie you over until you purchase items at concessions stands.

1  Thank Daisy P

Reviewed 19 August 2014

fun place for entire family. Animals are well taken care of and beautiful. Park inside for kids to play and get wet.

1  Thank pokehappy
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This zoo can really take a chunk of your day, took amazing pictures of all the animals.
Went for a trip and it rained ALL day literally. Yes this is a zoo of animals and they look so sad in the rain however whenever it stopped the animals looked so amazing so close.

The highlight of this attraction was feeding a giraffe! This is a one of a kind unforgettable experience. Just feed them quick because they will get so upset and walk away.

I will definitely come back here again. I wasn't able to feed the birds and the agents said that the pass is available for a year so i do plan to use this again. If not I will raise some heat here more than it already has.

I do love this Zoo because of how big it is. Some habitats were really big and had a huge area for animals to roam and live.

See you next year! Hope this helps

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I'm not an activist and you won't find me standing outside with a sign... but I truly believe that animals should not be captured, encaged and put on display for us. Even though this provides a great opportunity for children to learn it's not fair for the animals. Just my $0.02.

4  Thank SeanWOW
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I loved the zoo! I got a great deal on groupon for $14 which includes admission, bird and giraffe feeding, monorail pass and a souvenir cup. I couldn't feed the birds because it started pouring but I did get to feed the giraffes and it was an amazing experience. The souvenir cup is the best to drink anything even coffee. They have such a great variety of animals.

1  Thank EmmyRivas

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!