“Zoo Amazing”

Ranked #7 of 354 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 23 September 2010

From the moment you start driving down the palm tree lined road to the zoo you will have an amazing experience! Lots of animals arranged by continent in very humane settings. Until the monorail is built the tram serves to transport you around the park. You can also rent a pedal car to get around. You can also just hoof it (4 miles to get everywhere) A great day!!! DON'T GO WITHOUT FEEDING THE GIRAFFES!

2  Thank joekg

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Just off the Florida turnpike this attraction is very accessible. We spent one full day at this amazing zoo and it was just enough time to get around to see every exhibit. The exhibits are built up so that you can view the animals at eye level. The animals are separated from the visitors by dry moats which means there are no bars or cages in the way of viewing. They have kept family groups together so you rarely see just one animal. We had the opportunity to take in feeding time with the chimps and gleened some interesting tidbits from the interpreter who presented the feeding program. It is obvious they care a great deal about the animals in their care. There is a giraffe feeding station right on the route which is well worth a visit. We took the ground tour of the exhibits and the guide gave us some interesting zoo facts that we would otherwise not have found out. There is a lot of walking and for those who prefer to sit you can rent bicycles for 2, 4, and even more! I would highly recommend a day at this zoo which is rated one of the 10 top best zoos in America.

Reviewed 18 June 2010

This is my favorite zoo out of all I've visited. Entertaining and informative exhibits that can be enjoyed by kids and adults. The living conditions for the animals appear to be better than what i've seen at any other zoo. Great time for the entire fam bam.

Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have visited many zoos in the last several years, and make it a point to see new zoos when I travel. Based on many good reviews here, I spent a day at the Miami Metrozoo.

While the exhibits were good, and, mostly, interesting, what stands out is the extra distance one must travel to make the rounds. Yes, one can rent a four person bike to shorten some of the distance ($30 per 2 hours), but overall there is just a lot of extra space making the focus on transportation and not on the exhibits. I don't think I have walked more at any zoo anywhere, (San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Columbus, Fort Worth). And I like to walk. But prefer to walk while I am looking at interesting things.

Reviewed 9 May 2010

I go to this zoo at least 3 times in 6 months. it's one of my favorite places to take my 4 year old. Prices are resonable and discounts are offered to FL residents. The exibits are beautiful, very informative and very clean. The giraffe feeding is a park highlight and the new amazon and beyond is great even diego the animal rescuer come out to say hi to the kids. the park even has a monorail which takes you from one end of the park to the other. My kid was never bord and always had something hands on to do. Now the zoo is very big so i advise getting one of the pedal carts to get around. Oh and dont forget you kids bathing suits they have 2 water play areas which is great to cool off in, i even jumped in.

All in all please go its so much fun!!

3  Thank icewolf889

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!