“three days for a business conference”
Review of Kimpton EPIC Hotel

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #20 of 127 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Epic hotel in Miami has very good customer service, is spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated.

I was there for 3 days to attend a business conference. The hotel room I was given had everything you’d expect to find: two queen beds, room safe, stall shower (with a rain-forest shower head) and tub, toilet in a separate room off the bathroom, dual sinks, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, desk and desk chair, 4 easily accessible outlets by the desk, one guest chair, alarm clock, balcony with two chairs and a table, mini bar, two cordless phones handsets, wall mounted flat screen TV.

There is a large opening in the wall between the bathroom and bedroom. I’ve seen other hotels in Miami that have a feature like this. I’m not quite sure what the point of it is. However, there is a shade you can pull down so you can’t see from one room to the other.

There was a respectable set of TV channels, although I wish it included Comedy Central. The picture quality was pretty poor, so clearly not HD.

Since I was there on a business conference, I only had one opportunity to eat in the restaurants. That was for breakfast, which was a buffet-only, I personally would’ve preferred table service. The food the hotel provided during the conference was quite good.

On the negative side, the alarm clock doesn’t illuminate, and there is not much draw space (just 3 medium-sized drawers in night stand). However, the closet space seemed more than ample. I also found that I heard a fair amount of noise both from surrounding rooms, and the hallway.
One evening I tried to ask for a wake-up call, and dialed 0, and there was no answer after about 10 rings. I hung up, dialed ‘guest services,’ where the call was answered after 2 rings. I requested a wake-up call for each of the three days I was there, but on the last day it never came.

I didn’t have to pay for the wifi, since it was included in the conference package, but it was fast and reliable.

I would definitely stay at the Epic again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,369)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights after our cruise. Arrived early so wasn't expecting room to be ready, but on arrival we were given breakfast vouchers and told we had been upgraded to a one bed suite, lovely. They phoned us when the room was ready.
Went and had breakfast which is where I feel the hotel lets itself down. Service is slow to non existent , waited 20 minutes for coffee to be served. Thought this might be a one off but happened every morning and they weren't particularly busy.
We were on the 28th floor, a corner suite with bay view. The room is stunning with everything you could need, lounge area with large balcony, bedroom with floor to ceiling windows to just lay in bed and take in the view. Bathroom had jacuzzi bath and separate shower. Nice spa products and lots of towels.
Free wifi if you sign up to kimpton.
Outside pool area looked very inviting, but we didn't use it as we were out and about.
Bar outside can be very windy, bar prices were reasonable. Again service was abit hit and miss.
The area around the hotel was ok. Walked to bayside a few times and went for dinner at Mary Bricknell village which we walked to. Large convenience store just over the road.
We picked this hotel because it was easy to get to after our cruise, but feel they cater more for the business traveller.
On check out we stored our bags and asked if they had a courtesy room that we could use later ( maybe this is a European thing, because they couldn't understand why we would want to shower and change for our flight)Was told we could use the showers in the spa. On going to the spa later they told us it would cost $20 each. They had to phone reception to sort it out.
Overall this hotel is lovely, but is let down by little things. Our empty champagne bottle and bucket was left outside our door for two days,evening turn down service was not what you expect from a 5 star hotel. Conflicting advice from members of staff. Front entrance needs to be more organised.
We enjoyed our stay but would maybe stay somewhere else if we return to miami.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julie053
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My partner and I checked in to the Epic on Friday after several days out in Miami Beach at a famous conference hotel. From the moment we arrived, the increase in service and attention to detail was very apparent.

Every hotel employee we interacted with was very polished, welcoming, and helpful. That started with a very efficient and friendly check in. The experience was almost calming which is rarely the case during check in. The concierge later helped us find a very mellow and casual dining experience offsite followed by an early to bed Friday in a comfortable room for two road weary travels.

I loved that my room came with a map showing several local routes of varying distance for a morning run. That showed great attention to detail and came in very handy for our Saturday morning. Upon arriving back at the hotel, the door staff ran ahead and got us each a complimentary well chilled bottle of water from behind the front desk. That was just an outstanding way to finish the morning exercise routine.

We did walk through the gym attached to the spa, but did not use it in lieu of doing an outdoor run. For a hotel gym, it was better than most. The cardio equipment was "Techno Gym" brand. They had more than I encounter at many of the nicer 4 and 5 star urban hotels I have stayed at. They also had a few strength training machines along with sets of bar bells. Certainly for anyone wanting to do a general workout, the gym will meet your needs. Serious fitness fans with specific needs might need to go offsite.

If I had to find a criticism, it would be trying to come and go from the hotel on foot. This might be true of every hotel in downtown Miami? The city is a car lovers downtown. The river walk on one side of the Epic leads to a footpath, but there is a homeless colony living on the path one property away from the hotel which made it not so welcoming. The alternative is to walk out the main entrance which is not pedestrian friendly. There is no hotel sidewalk leading to the public sidewalk - you have to dodge cars in the driveway to get in/out. That can be oddly daunting during evening hours with cars, taxis, valets, etc.

Room Tip: The water view rooms are great, but get a room on 21 or higher. The pool deck bar has a DJ on Frid...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff_O-Chicago
Felix B, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Jeff_O-Chicago

Thanks so much for all of this fantastic feedback! I am so glad you found your check-in process calming and found our staff so welcoming and polished. Sounds like you also benefitted from our in-room jogging maps! Downtown Miami is a beautiful area so we are glad you had a chance to take a run like a local. Anytime you come back in from a run, we are always happy to grab you a bottle of our EPIC water. You deserve it after all that hard work!

Can’t wait to have you back at EPIC.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our third year and this hotel always delivers. Clean, fun, friendly staff, positive attitude. Love the spa, the pool, the clean fresh rooms, great restaurant in the building. Excellent location. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Bay side! Great view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Felix B, Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

lyndafisher
Thanks a lot for your great review on trip advisor but most of all for being one of your loyals.
EPIC and Kimpton are all about recycling and Eco friendly cleaning products, I truly appreciate the reconition in that regard.
We are awaiting you back! EPIC wishes / Felix Brandt

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'll start with the obvious. This hotel is in Miami downtown, about 15 minute away from the beach (by car). So it's great for those who have business in the city but I don't see why anybody on vacation would pick this spot. The facitilities are really good. There are several outdoor pools on the 16th floor overlooking the downtown. The layout and service at the pools are great. There is also a state of the art fittness center that also offers yoga and fittness classes. This was the highlight of the proporty for me. One drawback was a fee of $20 to use their sports facitlties. I don't mind paying for a class but one day I just dropped by to take a shower and use the steam room and they charged me the "facilties fee." This should be complementary for hotel guests. Which brings me to the cost side of things. My junior suite was $500. For that amount I fully expected a bedroom and a living room. However, what I got was a longish room separated by a TV stand into 2 sections - a bedroom and a sitting space. That was a bit disappointing. On the other hand, the bathroom was spectacular. Huge, beautifully appointed and with nice toiletries. I'd probably return if I came to Miami on business but if I were on vacation I'd choose one of the ocean front properties.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Katerina_CA

Katerina_CA
Thanks for having taken the time to review us on trip advisor. I am content to learn you enjoyed our location close to businesses right in the upcoming downtown area.
Upon your next visit with us, please contact me directly. You will love the space of our one bedroom suites and the extended balcony terrace with furniture.
I look forward to hearing from you. EPIC wishes / Felix Brandt

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I planned on a romantic couple of nights w my bf, and thought Epic would be it.
The hotel is beautiful on the outside, i got a good deal with Priceline then upgraded when we arrived.
The Suite was pretty big, however, the sofa was dingy, the carpet felt unclean the sheers on the huge windows were full of grease spots, the bathroom was huge but needed some umf and the shower had only a rain shower not foot spout, and the shower door has grime on the bottom, the price of this suite was around 700 Usd full price, i would have been utterly +44 151 239 1444 if i had not gone on priceline and gotten a 50 % off, still room service food was also mediocre.....this could be gorgeous place, if attention to detail and cleanliness would be a priority.
I dont think id stay there again, unless miami was sold out....lol

Room Tip: The higher floors and water view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

PatriziaItaly
Thanks for your review. I am happy you enjoyed the feel of the hotel. its class and ambiance.
So sorry that Housekeeping fell short of your expectiations. I have actually taken your review as a training tool for our housekeeping staff to prevent similiar issues from reoccuring.
Upon your next visit to Miami, please feel free to contact me directly. I would love to personally ensure that your entire stay with us will be as EPIC as our name stands for.
EPIC wishes / Felix Brandt

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I trael on average 150 days per year for work. No place that i have stayed gives the same level of service as the Epic. The welcoming at the door from doormen that rememeber you to the check in and daily needs are all well met. The wine hour at 5 is a great expeience. Too bad i am often still at the office but they usually make up for it with a free drink at the bar. used the spa for yoage this trip - the instructor was excellent. one of my favorite things is that each room has a balcony with a stunning view both directions. I prefer the view down the Miami River and they usually can accomodate. Overall my favorite place in Miami.

Room Tip: Go for the miami river side. Can be a bit louder due to the pool but the sunrise is spectacular.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business